How many school districts do you sub for?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Anonymousteach, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 31, 2012

So, I was just curious...do any of you sub in two or more school districts? Right now, I work in two school districts in my state, but I live close enough that I have a tri-state area to choose from that's within a reasonable commuting distance. I'm thinking about applying in some districts in the neighboring states as well. I'm working on teacher certification so I guess it couldn't hurt to get a foot in the door in the other states, right?

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 31, 2012

It's good to work for at least 2 districts, especially if they have different schedules (for example if spring break falls on different weeks you won't lose any money). It's good to keep your foot in many doors, just make sure you won't get confused where you're supposed to be :)

4. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Oct 31, 2012

I am on the sub list in 2 districts, although I've only actually ever worked in my home district because the 2nd district is tiny and rarely has openings. Within the next couple of weeks when I have the money and time to get a TB test and physical, I'll be added to 3, maybe more sub lists.

5. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Nov 1, 2012

I am currently on four sub lists. This year, however, I have only worked for one district. Two of the others don't have many openings, and one district tends to switch my assignment at the last minute so I try to avoid. ><

6. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 1, 2012

2 districts now, used to be 4. I'm primarily in one building. After you are at it for a while, and you'll find you spend most of your time in one or two buildings.

Doesn't hurt to get into the other schools and see whats out there though.

7. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Nov 6, 2012

I am in 2 and geting into more

Last year I was on 2 sub lists and had to turn down a sub call in alternating districts because I was getting called by both districts EVERYDAY. This year I decided to only go with the 2 I did last year but I have had such terrible luck the past 2 weeks with either no sub call on multiple days or a lot of cancellations so I have decided to get on the sub lists of the local Catholic schools (which adds six potential sites), a local independent private school and two local charter schools. Hopefully being on all those lists will mean that I don't have to get a third job just to make ends meet>

Mldouglas

8. carol2010

carol2010 Rookie

Nov 20, 2012

I'm on three districts lists. Two use automated systems and one just does calls. I like the automated (online) systems best.

Experience within your state would probably be the best, but if you aren't filling your schedule then anything is better than nothing.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2012

I only do one, and it is the most fun one too!
    Rebel1

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Nov 26, 2012

I have two districts that call me frequently. The rest are random schools I get from the automated system. I like the direct calls better, shows that the secretary has you on their mind when they want to give you assignments :)

BUT the automated system helps you branch out. But it also means that school relies on the system. Meh. I wish it's like the good old days when they call you all the time.

11. teachart

teachart Comrade

Nov 27, 2012

Do your districts use the same subbing agency? There are 3 agencies in my area and I am signing up for one because of student teaching. But I will actually be student teaching in two districts and the second placement uses a different agency.

I know it's possible to be registered with both (although you have to pay for fingerprinting/background check, and do online training for each one)

Is is like that in your states? Anyone else registered with multiple agencies? The 3 I know of pull from 3 counties but are not split geographically. It is up to each individual district to choose a subbing agency so it ends up being random.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2012

Back when I was subbing, there was a time I was signed up w/ 4 districts at one time, but throughout all my subbing years, probably 5 or 6 districts. I always remained loyal with 1 from beginning to the very end (Jan 1999 - May 2011). That one happened to be the largest one in my county. I'm glad I stayed loyal with them b ecause I have my permanent job with them now.

13. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Dec 28, 2012

I agree with Linguist. I am registered in 9 districts. ONE TIME (thank goodness I learned from my first big mistake) I took a subbing job over the phone for what I thought was a school I'd been to 5-6 times in the prior month, only to discover when I arrived that they didn't have me booked... I logged in online and discovered one of my other districts has a school with the SAME NAME! I was mortified, and nearly late (for someone who's always early, it was quite a bad start to the day). That being said, make sure you know which school names are duplicated in the districts so you can make sure you go to the right one when you get the call through the automated system.

In my 9 districts; I spend most of my time in 3 of them, working in each of those 3 at least 1 every 2 weeks, usually more. I did specifically make sure that 2 of my districts are in a different county since Michigan went to county-wide calendars for school. That way 2 of my districts are back to school on 1/3 even though the rest aren't until 1/7, and spring breaks fall differently, and even the end of the school year is staggered by 2 weeks. There are 2 districts that I will probably drop over the summer when it comes time for renewal, because I've only subbed there once each so far this year, but I like being in multiple districts. It never hurts to get teachers and admins in multiple districts familiar with you. Better to have many interviews with people who know you than to try to convince a stranger in an interview that you are awesome.

14. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

I only work in one school district. It's a pretty large district, though. :)

15. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 29, 2012

That's a pretty funny story. ;) I did that this year too (going to right school, but I think it was wrong day or something).

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 29, 2012

I'm listed in four districts.
    One is the district in which I student taught. I rarely work there. It is a small district and I get the impression that they have many former staff members on preferred lists. They tend to call me at the last minute when I've booked something else
    Two is the district in which I live. This is my preferred district. I like the schools, the distance, the curriculum...I'd love a full contract there.
    Three is a neighboring district and I try to avoid going there for multiple reasons. It is my last-ditch district for when I'm desperate.
    Four is a little bit of a drive, but no other problems.