How many rounds?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jennaleigh, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jennaleigh

jennaleigh Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

For those who have a job - I am just curious to see how many rounds of interviews you had before you got the position. I see a lot of people talking about second and third round interviews, but where I am it seems to be that you have one interview with the principal and some other members of staff, and they make their hiring decision just from that! Usually an hour long interview with 20 questions, sometimes 30 minutes and 10 questions. So just curious about others' experiences. I guess now that I think about it, it seems like a big risk hiring someone after just hearing them answer 10 questions!?

3. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

In my experience I had one interview with about 10 questions and then got an offer 3 days later. I also had an interview with another district where the first round was a panel interview and the second was with a specific school's principal and one teacher. I think it just depends on the district and how great their need for teachers is at the moment.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 24, 2015

I have been hired twice after one interview. There may have been a lag between the interview and the offer, but a single interview.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 24, 2015

For my first job, I had an interview and then a demo lesson. For my current job, I had a 20-30 minute interview with a panel, the principal called my references, and I was offered the job. My principal called with the offer about 4 days later. I was shocked.

So it really depends!

6. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

The most amount of rounds I had in interviews for a single school was 2: Initial interview and demo lesson. There was another school I got interviewed at where it was going to be 3 rounds: hiring team, principal, demo lesson. Didn't make it to the second round.

Where I got hired, only had one round. It really depends on the school.

7. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

In my experience, it is usually one round. If they make an offer, it is usually the same day or the day after. Sometimes there is a 2nd interview or a demo lesson, but it seems to be rare here.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 25, 2015

I think people have several rounds depending on the number of applicants. Maybe to weed out some? Or if it's just the way they always do it. It really depends on the school. I had one interview lasting 1.5 hours and got an offer by 5pm that night. I don't think there's a set number of interview rounds.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 25, 2015

In my area, it's one interview. Demo lessons aren't a thing here.

10. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jun 25, 2015

I had just one interview with my private school. After a few days they called and offered me the job.

When I interviewed for a job teaching English in Japan, the first round interview was a group demo lesson sort of the thing. We were split into two teams for time's sake and taught two different lessons simultaneously while the two interviewers sat at a"judging table" in the back. (So much fun! Definitely the most fun interview I've ever been in!)
    Then whoever did a good job was given a letter offering to come back the next day for a private interview, one-on-one, which included a surprise demo lesson (less fun) and a personal questionnaire. I made it to the second round, but got a "rejection" letter a week later.
    I had never heard of demo lessons in interviews until that experience.

11. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 25, 2015

Same here. No demos. One interview with the principal, usually a phone conversation with the superintendent, and that's it.

12. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 25, 2015

I've worked at 3 different schools. The first one was very casual just with the P, about 20 minutes, and at the end of the interview he said he had 2 positions available and he could guarantee me one of the positions and he called me at the end of the day to tell me the position I was being offered. I was shocked. The second job I was told was a screening interview but then they ended up calling me about a week later saying they decided not to do a second round and offered me the job. My third and current position was a phone screening interview for the first round, and the second round was a demo and in person interview with 2 principals, followed by an offer later that day.

13. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Jun 25, 2015

For public schools here, I was hired after one interview. For my current Catholic school job I did two - one with the principal and one with the Diocesan Office of Education. No demo lessons in either, but I brought artifacts to the principal interview.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 25, 2015

Actually, at my school, there is only a demo lesson needed if there are a high number of applicants for one position. We usually hire TAs for the open teacher positions and sometimes it's very competitive. I think they only had 2 or 3 demos in the last few years.

15. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

Usually one interview. They are way short- 15-20 minutes with usually basic questions. I went on a second one recently but that is rare. One district last year said that if you made it through the first then you did a demo. (I did not) In the last two jobs I've been offered the job a few hours after the interview. (one was yesterday! :) )

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

One interview. It's enough in my experience sitting on the other side. Plus references are checked.