How many preps?

Discussion in 'High School' started by lbm33, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2013

110 minutes!:eek: Torture!:eek: I thought my 95 minute periods were killer.

I teach US History and an elective this semester. Next semester, I teach World History and an elective.

2. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Oct 9, 2013

I usually have four or five. I teach art, so its a bit different, but I think most teachers at my school have at LEAST three.

3. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Oct 9, 2013

I honestly think the ideal amount of preps is 3. Less is boring, more is overwhelming planning-wise.

4. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jan 7, 2014

My first year I had 6 - ESL, 10th grade, Music, Speech, Drama and Band Assistant. I also was the choir director. At my current school, I've had up to 4 - AP, 12th, Theatre I and Theatre II. This year I'm down to 3. But I also run the theatre department by myself, with 5 shows a year as well as drama club and one of the senior class sponsors and lit magazine advisor. I also teach at community college two nights a week.

I try to stay as organized as possible, and I save everything I've ever created so that when I teach that class again--hopefully, I will at least have tests, quizzes, etc. already created that need to be tweaked. I haven't taught 10th grade in 10 years, and I switched this year, and thank goodness I kept everything, because I have so much less to do this year. I do have to change it because I have to align my stuff to a different state standards, but many of the texts are the same and the standards are also basically the same, just sometimes in a different order.

I will say that I am behind this year in my 10th grade class, but I have been giving them more in class time to do work and do makeup work than I would like because they won't do it at home--they would just rather fail--and we have to accept late work.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 7, 2014

I only had a few days of teaching the same lesson/standard all day long and I wanted to stab myself in the eye with a pencil by the end of the day. Doing that for a year makes you a saint!