How many parents & extra kids did you have at your party?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

I was so worn out after my party yesterday because I didn't think it would ever end.

I handled the reindeer antler game where they had to blow up balloons and race to stuff them in the legs of panty hose. They did look cute wearing those silly things on their heads and they really had a good time. I can deal with the kids just fine, BUT... I had 8 parents and three of them brought younger siblings who ran around crazier than my kids. Kinda hard to control my class with little ones running around all over the place tearing up my room. I understand sometimes parents have to bring kids along, but heaven forbid!! I think I'm going to put in my Nov. new's letter that parents shouldn't bring younger siblings to their child's class party. It's really dangerous and a legal liability issue.

Does anyone set limits on parents and extra kids?

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

My children's elementary school has a rule only 2 parents per party and NO younger siblings.

4. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Dec 19, 2008

We aren't allow to set limits. Parents are invited to everything. Our party was today and I had 12 adults and 2 younger sibs. The 2 little sibs were into everything they could reach. Their parents just stood around...

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

No we don't. I had 13 adults and 2 extra children. The 2 little kids start kinder next year and they were very well behaved. My room got hot though with all the people.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 19, 2008

Who decides who shows up?

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

I did not invite my parents or other children/siblings to my Holiday Party. Actually the parents really liked the idea because I told them that the reason that I wasn't inviting others was because I wanted to keep it low key and mellow because the kids are already SO excited about the holidays. I got a lot of positive response from that. UGH-- I really dread having so many people in my classroom and having the kids all crazy... but anyway... that's just waht i did

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

p.s. I should say that I invited a parent to come read a holiday book so I'm not the biggest meanie in the world. :lol:

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

We only invite the class parents to parties. If they can't make it, we reach out to others.

For other events (author's day, education week etc...) all parents are invited and we ask (note: ask) that younger sibs stay home. The admin. words it nicely, something about it being a speical day for the child.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2008

My class parties is for the kids only and I handle it all by myself. I would NEVER invite the parents. The party is NOT for THEM!

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

AMEN!
    When children have their parents there, IT ADDS MORE PROBLEMS than needed, especially for Pre-Schoolers. I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't fix the fact that the children whose parents show up, will act up and expect to get whatever they want because their parents are there AND it's a PITA to try and deal with it. When the party is over, there's crying because they don't want their parents to leave OR they want to go with them. If the parents came from work, they can't take the children with them. Naptime usually follows the party and you have to deal with upset children. It goes on and on BUT we still had to INVITE the parents of my class, in CA, because it was a school for low income parents AND it was required to involve the parents with everything we did.
    Now! Our party today; we had ZERO parents or volunteers and we had a lot of happy, noisy, AND full of pizza 4-5 year olds.
    We had a ball!
    LEAVE THE PARENTS BEHIND!
    Rebel1

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

you bet I do! On Field trips; siblings are NEVER allowed; if parents can't leave them behind...then they cannot go either.
    For parties...parents are never invited to attend...ever. I always tell them that I'm taking pictures anyhow.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2008

I understand why everyone else prefers no siblings at these functions.

But, fortunately for me, the dynamics in Hispanic families are different than among Anglos. For my students, everything revolves around the family.

My fourth-grade class is very lucky to have four room mothers. All of them but one also have one other child under the age of two. I would not dream of telling these moms, who invest a lot of time and interest in their childrens' educations, that they couldn't bring their other small children. They would not have been able to participate, and in that case we all would have been losers.

The room moms came in and served at our "buffet" (the entire fourth grade, students and teachers, supplied the food and paper goods). While they served, I joined the siblings in taking care of the smaller kids. We had a lot of fun!

After the kids got their plates, the moms got to go through the line as well, and I was able to enjoy the three lovely tiny ones while their moms ate. All my students (even the boys!) played with the babies as well :)

The entire party only lasted from 10:30 until noon. The kids helped clean up and then were dismissed.

My whole experience was great, despite all the advice and horror stories shared by the veteran teachers. Were they mad when I told them I had a great time!

Thought you might like to hear an opposing view.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2008

Here too; Hispanics...about 90% (including me!!)...but siblings are not allowed to attend field trips and parties.

Glad it works well for you, Missy. :)

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2008

I have great room parents this year so I turned the party over to them. They did the planning, serving, and cleanup. My assistant and I just kicked back and enjoyed having the time to talk to the many parents who stopped by. The kids were kept busy and well behaved. Siblings are not allowed at parties so we didn't have to worry about the room being trashed. All in all...a good experience this year!

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

Enjoyed reading your view, thanks for posting it. I'm so glad you enjoyed your party.

I wouldn't have minded the extra kids if the parents would have monitored them some. The little ones just ran around screaming and pulling books off shelves, one little one even sat in MY chair at my desk and started to open my drawer. I picked her up and moved her to a chair, she promptly got up and when my back was turned, she was at my computer. The mother never offered any discipline to the kid at all, she was too busy chit-chatting with some of the other mothers. The other two little ones were running around chasing each other, one was running with her cup filled with red Hawaiian punch. I took the cup from her as quickly as I could, my carpet would have been ruined if she'd spilled. It was pandemonium.

17. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

At my daughter's school, the PTO arranges all holiday parties; the teachers are in the room, but they do not have to do anything (although they usually do so that they can be part of the fun). Because I teach in the same district, I have not been able to be a party mom. Parents who work in the classroom for any reason: parties, center volunteer, field trip chaperone, story reader, jr. great books leader, etc., are not supposed to bring younger children with them.

18. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

I do have to say though, that as a middle school teacher, I am glad I don't have to deal with the holiday party issue. Sometimes the kids ask to do something in homeroom on the last day, sometimes not. If they ask, I tell them that they have to organize it and I'll bring in one treat. This usually works out.

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 20, 2008

My P let's teachers "slip-out" for a little while to go the their kids parties. He sends an aide in the classroom.

I enjoyed being a room mother when my son was in elementary school - back in the day. I missed my daughter's parties though. I sure wouldn't have taken extra kids and if I'd had them, I sure wouldn't have let them run wild.

20. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

And I am sorry your party was ruined by (not naughty children) but by the PARENTS who do not control, much less WATCH, their children.

I forgot to mention that my P supports the thought that we DON'T have to have holiday parties, especially if we believe our children are not capable of behaving themselves. The children know that, and it helps!

Come join my class next year :)

21. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 20, 2008

One grandparent and no siblings. That was a first!

22. scooterd

scooterd New Member

Dec 20, 2008

This is my second year teaching preschool. I have twelve 4 year olds and every child had at least one, some had two, parents in attendance at our Christmas party and program. Last year I was overwhelmed by all of the people in my tiny room and vowed to make it very simple this year. In the end I realized that it was one and a half hours out of my life to let these parents come in and enjoy being with their child.

Having three of my own in elementary and middle school I am all too aware of how little there is for parents to actually be involved in once you leave preschool/Kindergarten. I was thrilled that all of my little ones had parents who cared enough to take time and enjoy the party with them. Yes, it was crowded and got a little warm, but watching dads down on the floor building block towers with the kids and the bright eyes of my students as they showed mom and dad all of our holiday decorations was truly priceless.

I also attended my boys' parties at elementary school and had a great time as well. I'm sure when I've got a few more years under my belt I'll probably lose the "life is so rosy" outlook I've got right now in regards to my classroom. I'm not at all criticizing anyone who doesn't invite parents. And I am 100% with you on parents needing to keep their younger children under control or else not bring them at all. Sometimes that is unavoidable though and I try to remember when I had little ones that went with me everywhere. Of course I always kept my younger children right with me and never sat around talking while they destroyed a class room.

Hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas!

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

Our Christmas Party, without parents & siblings, was WONDERFUL! :) The kids enjoyed their holiday snack and when it was time to open presents; we played a game and opened gifts without reservation and crying (There had been one disappointed kid my first year and so I talk with them beforehand now :)).

Then when it's time to open our gifts to them, a book and toy, we let them go hog wild and play away...in the midst of loud laughter & talk; moving from here to there without falling over anybody.

Yes, it was a great time for the kids (and us)! :love: :hugs:

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

No parents or sibs will be at my party.
    We have school thru a half day the 24th.

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 20, 2008

OK-- I had a first. My next door neighbor had her party after her students performed in a Christmas program. She allowed them to leave with their parents. I had my party the last 50 minutes of the day. We share a family, yep--all of you saw it coming, but not me!--they showed up with both sets of grandparents, mom, boyfriend, and they brought little sister in after her party. Yes, you counted correctly--7 people for a child. Then every other child in my room but one, had a parent or two. Luckily I had not asked for food, so we had simple treats. One grandpa brought pizza, one mom brought drinks, two mothers brought individually wrapped cookies, and one of my parents (whose son I also had) brought pudding cups and spoons. All of the kids took the pudding and cookies home. They only ate a piece of pizza and had the juice.

My parents sent 14 of the same items for each stocking that I made and embroidered for each child. I stuffed them with their goodies and they enjoyed opening them. Besides the one family, the rest was wonderful. The best party I ever had.

I am going to make a point of including a note next time that brothers and siblings need to stay in their classroom until our party is over. The two parents that brought younger-non school aged children-watched them and kept them in a chair. I made sure that they had treats also.

26. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

You have school on Christmas Eve? I've never heard of such a thing!

27. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 20, 2008

I can honestly say that this year's class was the best behaved group at a party that I have ever had. They worked up until lunch. We went to lunch, went to recess, came in and set up for the party. I had bought hotdogs (they cooked all morning in the crock pot) and buns, the kids brought in chips, capri sun drinks, cup cakes, cookies, and candy. Everyone got their plate, sat and talked, threw their trash away, then I let them have their goodie bags. They had a book, a small game, a pencil, eraser, and a ton more candy in the bag. Alot of the kids ate a little and put the rest in a ziplock bag to take it home. I had two parents come in during the party and comment on how well the kids were behaving. I had three of the kids notice on the clock it was 15 minutes before our 2:00 bell so they got up and started sweeping, picking up and making sure everyone cleaned off their desks again with a wipey. It is the first time I can remember that they were stacked, packed, and ready to go before our 2:10 dismissal bell w/o me having to remind someone. I asked why they were being so good and one of them said "because they wanted to thank me for letting them have an awesome party". I realized then I really do have a good group of 3rd graders.
    As far as parents are concerned they were invited but most of them were at work. The ones that did come in were there for a pre-k child's prgram or are employed in our building.

28. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

awwww...that's great Melissa! :) I have a question regarding your crockpot hot dogs...were they in water? :mellow: :)
    Thanks.

29. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 20, 2008

Sandra,

Yes another teacher gave me the idea a couple of years ago. You put the hot dogs in the crock pot, cover them in water, put the top on cook on high for 4 hours (I did 4 hours because that would be about right for the start of the party) and forget them. They are awesome.

30. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

wow; that's easy!! Thanks, Melissa! :love:

ok; sorry everyone...didn't mean to hijack the thread. :hugs:

31. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

I teach 8th grade (Self-contained), I have a room parent and she is WONDERFUL!!! She asks what I might want brought in, I tell her and she sends it in. My parents know they can stop in at any time but they also realize that at 8th grade the kids don't want their parents in their classroom. Our system works out great for everyone.

32. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

We had noone at our party. It was really nice and I'm thinking about doing it this way every time! We actually did a half-day party at our school. All kids from K-4 grade were divided up into groups of 15 mixed grade levels, who rotated from room to room for 45 minute intervals. Each of us teachers picked one activity to do with all of the groups. I did snowman making - 2 or 3 teams made a toilet paper snowman (think mummy) and decorated it with hats, scarves and construction paper I had laid out. I judged on 3 categories, cutest, ugliest and most original use of t.p. It was a hoot and all of the kids had a blast! We set up the rotation so that each teacher got one break. Then at the end of the day, we all went back to our own classes and had our classroom party, which for us was simply a cookie, juice and gift exchange. We sang carols in my room and had a rousing game of "silent for 60 seconds", which is exactly what it sounds like, I'd give the kids a prize if they could make it 60 seconds as a class in complete silence. They thought it was the funnest game they'd ever played and I had a couple of golden silent moments in a day of sugar fueled energy! :) I love that 2nd graders are so easy to amuse! Anyway, I didn't send out invites or notes about it to parents, not because I planned on excluding them, but simply because my last 2 weeks at school had been rather stressful, plus my husband had surgery on Thursday, which I had to plan for a sub for, so I just never got the note home. It was really nice, so maybe I'll follow suit for Valentines day as well.

33. teachall

teachall Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

A coworker of mine was describing her party to me. She had parents of one child, a grandmother who also brought 3 small children. They began demanding to be fed before the students:eek:
    Finally her assistant told them that they were not getting anything until the kids were fed!:haha:
    I just laughed when she told me!

34. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 20, 2008

O heck no! I AM SO MAD FOR YOU!! If I worked in that area I would try to get a sub and (would 100% know y I could not get one) when that did not work I would just tell my P that I am not comming in today.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Most school calendars are contracted and made public before the school year begins- yes, working on Christmas Eve would suck but one should take a personal day if possible- telling the principal that you are 'not coming in today' is not the most professional behavior...

36. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

It's hard to believe that a school system would set up a calendar that has school on the 24th. Is it a private school?

Even so, without a doctor's note, we wouldn't get paid for being out of school on the day before or after a holiday.

37. shouldbeasleep

Dec 20, 2008

Sounds like a big mix of different party atmospheres. I enjoyed mine so much, parents and siblings included. The room mothers took over the buffet, and I handled the unwrapping of gifts. Two siblings, (one baby and one adorable four-year-old girl who looked like an elf princess--she was in her footie pajamas) Her sister took care of her completely.

I would have been upset if younger kids were brought who weren't supervised and were running around. There have been a few cases of that during conferences, and when the parent didn't speak to the child, I just told them they would have to reschedule the appointment. The more years I pile on to my teaching career, the more I'm willing to call it like I see it.

38. shouldbeasleep

Dec 20, 2008

Yarnwoman--I sent you a private message.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2008

Refusing to come in is going to put you front and center on the principal's hit list for January. In a year of anticipated budget cuts and layoffs, that's precisely where you do NOT want to be!!! If he is there-- and you know he didn't make up the calendar either-- you can bet your patookie that only a hospital visit (with verification) will ge you off the hook.

Our calendar is published in the preceding spring. We have a professional obligation to be at school on school days.

40. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 20, 2008

We know our schedule well in advance also. We have already received the schedule for 2009-2010.

41. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2008

We'll be getting our school calendar for next year shortly after returning in January. We are lucky, though, that we are allowed to use personal days before a vacation as long as you put in early enough. I usually use mine Memorial Day weekend.

The parents in my district would pitch a HUGE fit if we had school on the 24th. THe latest we have worked is the 22nd.