How many of you were hired because of WHO you know?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mathemagician, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

I see lots of posts on here about people angry that they didn't get a job because a friend or family member of someone in the district got it. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that they got a job because they knew someone. So maybe you don't want to say you got the job BECAUSE OF someone else working in the district, but let me put it this way: was anyone here hired to work in a district where a close friend or family member is working or has worked?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2012

My mother was hired in the same district where my father had been teaching for decades, but that was after a decade or so of subbing to glorious reviews. In actuality, she had been passed over for full-time work several times, possibly because of my dad's union activity. When her name was placed for hire in front of the school board, at least one person voted, "About time!"

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

The first school where I worked I also student taught the year before. So I guess I could say I was hired because I "knew people".

The school where I work now I didn't know anyone. Well I met a mother of some students, which is how I found out about the school to begin with, but I never mentioned it. I got this one all by my lonesome;)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

I was interviewed, then hired, based on the strong recommendation of the VP at the school where I did 2 long-term sub positions.

6. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

the last school I taught in, I was interviewed and hired by my former English teacher who was the department chair at the time. She called me a couple hours after the interview to offer me the job. She was more floored about my experience which helped her decision.

The school before that... the assistant principal that hired me was also my AP when I was a high school student.

My first teaching job was an alternative school. They were desperate for any teacher who could handle their students and I was desperate for teaching experience since I was denied a teaching contract without it.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

Maybe the fact that we don't hear about it means that people's perceptions of nepotism are more prevalent than actual cases. And by people I mean someone who recently got beat out for something they really really wanted. :whistle:

Or, maybe people just don't want to admit it.

8. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

I knew nobody in the district I did my leave replacement in. I just responded to an ad and went through the interview process.

I emailed my resume cold to the current principal who hired me for a permanent position.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I have been hired a couple of times because of who I knew, but that was because I had a good reputation and the principals liked me. Nowadays, it is mostly all about who you know, but I really hope they also take into consideration that you are a good, hard working teacher.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I have been hired a couple of times because of who I know. Once, my grade level was losing a teacher so my P recommended me to another P. Another time was when I was hired at the school my children went to. I had been there for years volunteering and subbing.

Both times I had to prove myself capable that first year.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

I did a practicum at my current school... I actually don't know if my P was even aware of it, as it wasn't mentioned during the interview. He was aware that I had graduated from the school, though.

Both other teaching jobs, I didn't know anyone.

12. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

Nepotism is definitely prevalent. There was a lot of that going on at my last school and you can bet the people who got hired made a ton of money. I was so disgusted by it and I'm so glad I left.

13. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

The school district where I am presently is loaded with family members throughout administration. Morale is low because the people upstairs are not held accountable for all the garbage they pull.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2012

My husband was already working at the school where I currently work. But, the principal recognized me from attending school events and volunteering with the performing arts groups. I happened to meet exactly what they were looking for at the time.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 8, 2012

I was not hired because of anyone I know. I came from a different part of the state.

We hire a lot of alumni in my district ... I sometimes wish we didn't.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

My current principal had been an AP under my former principal and they were still friends. When I applied for the position, I was an aide (the position was for teacher). I think the fact that I worked for one had something to do with my getting hired. My current AP says that it didn't though.

17. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

My current job, I got mostly because I "knew someone", but no one related to me. Last year I worked at an elementary school, but my job was cut at the end of the school year because of budget changes. The elementary P I worked under was the P of the Middle School the year before. An opening happened to pop up at the Middle School, and my P let me know about it before the job was even posted.

He put in some good words for me and wrote me an excellent recommendation, and I was ultimately interviewed and hired by the current P (who was AP under the other P, and who has known him for years. Woah, that sounded extremely confusing :lol:).

I'm 100% sure that his recommendation was really what got me the job, but I like to think that the fact that I already had experience in the district and am a good teacher also factored in... Hahahaha.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

I got my interview because I had a friend give my resume o the Superintendant. I was hired based on my education, experience, enthusiasm and professionalism, not who I knew.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2012

Two jobs-neither time :) I didn't know a soul.

20. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I didn't know anyone at the last district I worked at. They posted a job on their site, I sent in my resume, cover letter, etc....and got a call about a month later. Had the interview the following week, and found out the same day I got the job.

21. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

No. The two times I were hired for contracted jobs, I didn't know a soul in the district. My last long-term subbing job was at a school I had worked at before, so they knew me and my work. I've never had an "in".

22. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Aug 8, 2012

I've never gotten a job through connections, but I got one job because of an excellent reference by someone I never met. I'll explain: I received a call about a position, but had to turn down the interview. Months later, I was contacted by the school's principal, who mentioned that "said person" spoke very highly of me, and I was hired after interviewing. I don't necessarily think it's bad to get hired through connections. People generally like to hire those who they feel confident will fit in with their organization and do a good job. Think about how many professionals we do business with based on "connections" (home repairs, hair styling, lawyers....).

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I didn't know anyone in the district for either of the teaching jobs I've received. The other two new teachers at my school both student taught in the district. However, I was hired in April and they were hired later in the summer when more positions opened up, so it stands to reason that I beat them out as an "outsider" the first time around.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 8, 2012

I was hired by the school I student taught at. Absolutely I was hired because of who knew me!

25. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

At my current district I didn't know anyone. But funny enough people have asked me who I knew to get that job because it's such a difficult place to get into.

At my previous job I knew the VP from grad school. So I guess I got the job because of her.

26. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 8, 2012

This can be difficult to define. I certainly knew people in the district where I was hired because I am an active member of my community. However, I would like to think that I was hired because I was the best candidate for the job.

27. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 8, 2012

I didn't know a soul at my current school, actually when I was called for the interview I had never even heard of the town before.

That being said, I subbed in a school district that has quite a few schools and when you walk the hallways of each school you see a couple of last names repeated quite a few times... Many of the names happen to be superintendent and assistant superintendent names...sometimes board members as well.

28. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

I'm a little confused...was the "reference whom you never met" the person who called you for the interview you had to turn down?

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 9, 2012

I think there is a difference between knowing someone at the school who will give you a great reference and getting hired JUST because you are the school secretary's niece or the principal's neighbor.

30. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

Yup, I agree. Building your reputation through solid work is honorable. If they know you because of your work, well, what could be better? Getting the job because your father's best friend works there, not so impressive, although I don't think many of us would turn down any opportunity to utilize a connection in this economy!

31. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 9, 2012

The school that hired me this past June I had no prior connection to. Truth be told, I hadn't even heard of them before.

So, it definitely happens. Yeah there's favoritism and word of mouth can travel far, but a lot of it is the right fit, too.

The school that hired me saw me as the right fit :)

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

The first school I taugth in, I knew no one.

My current school is run by members of a religious order. One of the teachers in that order (actually he teaches in Peter's school) coached Speech and Debate for many years. I coached at another school, but we worked together every Saturday from 9-6 from September to March for 7 years. So I'm fairly confident that HE'S the one whose reference counted, even more than whatever my old school had to say about me.

That said, I don't think it was a matter of "knowing someone." I think it was a matter of having a strong recommendation from someone they trusted. Had I been a weaker candidate, I'm confident that knowing that teacher would have worked against me.

33. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

Aliceacc, you've said it better than me! Student teaching at my current school gave me the opportunity to prove I could be a valuable member of the team. If I had been a weaker student teacher, they wouldn't have had to hire me. I wasn't hired purely because they knew me - they knew I was a solid choice.

34. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2012

I didn't know anyone at my first school. I did my student teaching at my current school and stayed in touch with the HR manager and assistant superintendent while I was in my first school. I know my persistence helped me, along with a new P who didn't want to hire the recommended person of the old P. :lol:

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

I didn't know a soul at the school where I now work. Heck, I hadn't heard of it until I saw the opening on the Education Department website.

36. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I'm glad most of you didn't know anyone, nor did I, but I'm looking to hear from those who did. And I'm not talking about a ref from like a principal or something. I mean like just a friend or family member working there.

37. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2012

Two of my references are very well known and very respected principals in this area, and they gush about me. I know because that is always one of the first things mentioned in interviews.

That certainly doesn't hurt!

38. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2012

I did interview in the district I graduated from, and where my mom is the head of the English department. I rescinded my application immediately after interviewing with one principal because he called me babe, and the interview an hour before that, I knew more than the principal and was explaining terms to him.

This was when I was a second year teacher, and my school was closing.

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

Like I said in my earlier post, my mother was hired DESPITE being married to my union leader father at the same school. In her case, who she knew worked against her for a while.

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2012

Similar to what others have described, I have gotten an interview because of who I knew, but that's not what got me the job.

At my first job, the area superintendent (like an assistant) knew my father very well. They had worked together for many, many years. She put in a call to the principal and asked that I be interviewed. I was fresh out of college, but this was in a "rough" school district, mid year, and they were really needing some help. Six other teachers were hired at the same time as me.

My second job was with the district from which I had graduated (but at a different high school). My former English, government and math teachers all worked there and were well respected, and I know they spoke very heavily in my favor. It's extremely common in this area for districts to hire their own graduates, and as a matter of fact, this particular district used to promise students who participated in Future Teachers of America a one year contract! I think that has since been dropped, but it was the norm for nearly 2 decades!

In my current district/position, I knew absolutely no one, but it has a trend of hiring its own graduates. In my particular school, all of the new hires within the last 3 years have known someone already in the building. Who you know is very important.

41. greenbay33

greenbay33 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012

To be honest, I see this all the time. I've only had 3 interviews for a social studies position, but one of them I was interviewed at, they thought I was related to a staff member (the janitor btw) since we had the same last name and it's not a very common last name. Anyway I'm sure it got me the interview. However, I know i didn't get the job because I just wasn't a good fit. I do think this happens a lot. Especially where I live in the rural midwest. At my old elementary school 2 of my classmates were hired and I bet it was mostly because they were alumni (not saying they are bad teachers, but if they were I don't think it would make a difference). I also had my best friends sister not get her dream teaching job because the school hired a girl who was related to one of the current teachers. While I can't control who they hire, it makes me sick sometimes. It sucks too because the school where I have relatives working and where I attended doesn't have openings so there goes that