How many of you use reading logs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

Do you use reading logs? I would like to hear if you do or do not. If you do how do you use your reading logs? I am not sure I believe in them. I have not been successful with them this year and I am trying to figure out if I feel I need to use them next year. :dizzy:

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 22, 2009

I use them. I don't feel successful with them either. I randomly check them and about half the kids have them. I do a lot of book projects and require they take AR tests, so that I know they are reading.

My own child's teacher uses the logs, but she checks them daily. It works for her.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2009

Virtually every teacher I sub for in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades use reading logs. I've never heard any of the teachers express the value of these logs........

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2009

I use them. Not much value. I also use the 6 Flags Reading Logs. 600minutes=a free ticket. Everyone just fills out the form overnight and waits a week or so to turn it in then they get a free ticket in May. Pointless. I guess it makes Six Flags feel as if they are helping promote literacy in schools.

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 22, 2009

I use them. I am at a new school and the rest of the teachers on the grade level used them and it was told to me in the beginning of the year. However, no one ever told me the value of them and I don't really see it either because 1/2 of the kids don't do them and or don't complete it all.:dizzy:

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 22, 2009

I call them Independent Reading Response Journals and we do one each quarter. My students have a set of prompts they can pick from, each one being worth 3 points. They may write on up to 4 prompts for each book they read. Grades are based on the total points they accumulate during the quarter. At the end of each quarter I make a list of the books they have read and distribute it to the class.

We also had one of the local bookstores reprint reviews from our IRRJs. That was fun!

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

We have weekly reading logs that are turned in each Friday and signed by the parents. Also on that log is spelling practice log and math practice.

For the math, they actually turn in homework. I am not sure how many are really reading and how many aren't. I can tell that many of mine do read though. Sometimes they will have a light week and the parent will write something like "sorry, too much going on the last two nights" in place of where titles of books should be. I can also tell by what the parents say to me in emails and such.

I am sure a lot of them just write down something and initial though. I know that is the case with one of my lower readers.

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Mar 22, 2009

I don't see value in reading logs either. Most of the kids fib their way through the logs, and the ones where the parents have to sign don't make it any better. Most of the kids will say, "Here, sign this...I really read all of those pages...," and the parent signs it.

I do outside reading projects that differ ever grading period. I also use a discussion board where the kids respond kind of like a reading response journal--except it's online.

10. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Mar 22, 2009

I use weekly reading logs. The kids are supposed to read 20 minutes each night and then choose from 10 different responses for the activity. They cannot do the same activity twice in any week. It used to have the option for a parent to just sign off for the night, but I took that option away after the first quarter. In the beginning of the year I would assign it on Monday and collect it on Friday, but I always had several kids who had not completed it. Since about the end of the first quarter, I check it off daily with other homework, and that has made a big difference! I rarely have kids not complete their logs anymore. I have a lot of kids who complete their reading logs with content area reading, which is great since they direly need practice reading nonfiction materials. Overall I liek the reading log, but frankly, I weight it low in my reading grade because I am sure some kids do not actrually do the 20 minute reading. The weight is large enough though that it does make a difference in their grades if they do not turn it in...

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 22, 2009

Lindita323 Could you PM me the list of response activities you use? I would love to do that.

I use logs and I find them very effective. I have had kids tell me that the only way they read is because of those logs. Yes, there are some who lie and some whose parents lie, but for those who do it, it really helps them.

I really believe in reading everyday and I know that if I did not hold my students accountable for it, they would not read.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 22, 2009

Lindita...I'd like to see the list as well if you don't mind.

All grades have the logs at my school so reading logs of some sort are required. I would like to come up with some sort of meatier log for next year for our grade level.