How many of you use books on tape with your children?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by tracykaliski, Sep 7, 2010.

1. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2010

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 8, 2010

I used to have just pre-s special ed. One year I had a bunch that would NOT listen to ME read but would listen to a book on tape very well. So, I bought up books & tapes from ebay, thrift stores and hand-me-downs from other teachers. The kids LOVED them!

Then the next year, that class didn't like them as much. Go figure.

4. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Sep 9, 2010

im planning on setting up a listening center in my room with books on tape that i found in my classroom. the thing is....none of the tapes have the books that go with them. it will be interesting to see if the kids listen to the story without looking at the book?!

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 9, 2010

I always use books on tapes/cd. Use it as part of my centers, and I use books that go with my letter/theme etc. I have 2 packing crates full. (I love books) :)
    saralynn: Could you check the library for a copy of the book to put out with the tape? 2 children could share.

6. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

Since all my books and CD's are my personal ones (I have about 90). I do not let the kids use them. However they are apart of our nap time routine. I read two books on CD before nap time everyday and it seems to help the kids calm down and they know it's time for nap. Since I started doing this ( about 8 years ago), I seem to have a much better nap time.

7. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

does anyone worry about lice?

a student had lice the second day of school. parents do not want them sharing items. how can i still have a listening center?

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2010

I don't worry so much about headphones since they're mostly plastic. I worry more about sharing hats.

Do your headphones have foam covers on them? I would remove the foam covers and use them that way.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 12, 2010

One of our teachers put headphones on her supply list. That way each kid has their own pair.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 12, 2010

I remove the foam covers from the headphones. Never had to worry about lice, and I use Clorox wipes to clean them. (now that I have said that wait and see what happens!)