How many of you have second jobs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TamiJ, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I am curious to know, because I am starting to look for one. It is difficult for me to pay my student loans while here in Mexico, so I am thinking about working in the evenings, and/or weekends. There are call centers here that need English speakers, and I am already in contact with one. I am not excited about having less time at home, but we do what we must, right?

What about all of you?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

I do lots of freelance writing. Not really a "job" per se, as I accept jobs when I have time.

Over the summer, I teach both a week of summer school and an SAT prep class one mornng a week.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

Not me. I avoid teaching special sessions, summer school, and things of that nature as well. My husband would love for me to have a job in the summer (that, or just clean the house :)), but it's not in me.

Those who do have two jobs are pretty amazing. I'm at school a couple hours after dismissal, I spend too much time there on the weekends but I'm working on that problem, and I just in general pour enough into my position, so just considering cashiering or some other part time job makes my head spin.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I keep saying I want to get into freelance writing. I was an English major, and writing has always been a passion of mine. But, I have not done anything professionally. How does someone without professional writing experience get in on something like that?

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

Mine too, but desperate times call for desperate measures...

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I am sorry you are having to do this...I wish you the best. Is tutoring out of the question?

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Hit the internet and apply for jobs.
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=126904&highlight=freelance

Or find places that seem to call out for your area of expertise. I got a great gig a few years ago by contacting an education website and asking whether they needed a math writer.

I've had a few articles published in education magazines, and sold some parenting articles to sites.

I'm currently working for an education site, a different one from the one I worked with last summer-- I may end up working for either or both this summer.

I like that I can do it on my own time, when the kids are in bed (or watching Cake Boss, as the girls are now.)

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I do tutor, and that is helping with the payment of the loan. The only thing is, the peso is very weak in mexico, so we were getting by fine, with some left over (not much, but enough), but now that I have these payments it's draining us. I owe US dollars, but am making Mexican pesos, and it's very tough. I want to be able to buy my daughter something when she needs it, and not always tell her no. It's difficult because I am still working with Sallie Mae on the amount, so it might become lower, but I still don't know. In either case, I have two payments a month to make.... *sigh*

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks! I think I am going to check that out. I would love to do something like this. And, like you said, you can do it on your own time, which would probably be the best part. Thanks for the suggestion.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 27, 2011

3 considering a 4th

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2011

I did it my first year teaching at Hallmark. That's back when I would go out and drink until 12 and then get up and go to work in the morning. I definitely don't have that kind of stamina anymore. After that, I did night school and summer school. I also did a lot of clubs and any after school workshop that offered extra pay. I don't do ANY of that stuff any more.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 27, 2011

I grade Praxis online. I make good money, but it is only four or five nights every six weeks or so. I enjoy doing it. I do it at home in my PJ's. And sometimes with the tv on. I have discovered that I am one of the most productive and consistent scorers, so I normally get every shift I want. That is nice. This week Monday-Friday...4 hours a night...$400 before taxes. It pays for my son's FFA trips and judging competitions.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

Are you serious? May I ask what you do, besides teach?

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

How do you get into something like that?

16. bondo

bondo Cohort

Jan 27, 2011

I would try some data entry gig that you can do over the internet. It usually is by the hour and you do it when you can squeeze it in. Sometimes it is per diem so the quicker you are the better.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

TamiJ, hang out your shingle as a tutor of English writing, especially if you're anywhere near the border.

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 28, 2011

I have a 2nd job weekends (and sometimes on a weekday if I pick up a shift) at a restaurant. I've been there about 2 years. I could never tutor or do anything academic...my brain would fry!

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I work as a hotel desk clerk on the weekends. Sometimes that means working 2-3 weeks without a day off.

I work in the 21st Century program after school, which keeps me at school until 5:30pm. I also am a fully-licensed bus driver. In addition to covering for our regular drivers, I also drive on field trips. These usually include my own students and take place during the school day, but I have driven a team to a competition during the evening before.

My teaching job is only part-time and my day doesn't officially begin until 12:10pm, but I am almost always at school at least 2 hours before that. Some days I am there by 8:00am and stay until 5:30pm.

That may sound hectic, but three years ago, I had NO JOB, so I am glad to be on the opposite side of the spectrum now.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 28, 2011

I have a second job, but only during the summer. There's no way I'd have time to with all the other things going on. During drama season, it's 6:30 before I get home most nights.

21. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 28, 2011

Teach, Grocery Store, Sell on Ebay (in the Summer I teach Summer School), and I understand the tutoring center near us REALLY needs teachers- so I'm going to apply there.

I need to be able to keep my house.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

I work dismissal traffic duty, teach an after school enrichment class and tutor 11 hours per week.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

My gosh! I can't believe you can fit all of that in.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2011

Well-This call center I applied to is looking for a bilingual representative. So, while I can carry on conversational Spanish, I don't think I have the professional language. :(

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

My kids are big and my husband is in sales so his schedule is unpredictable as well...my laundry pile is HUGE, but it all gets done and the extra $$ is too good to pass up. I really feel like I'm making a difference one on one with my tutor kids and the dismissal duty fits in with my tutoring schedule so it's all good...by Friday though, I'm exhausted! But who isn't?

26. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2011

I have had MANY second jobs.
    I found the best ones for my classroom were those not related to education. They gave me a break from that world. I especailly enjoyed beverage cart on the golf course, usher for the Brewers, and evening dog walker.

27. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 29, 2011

I work at the community college, tutoring ESL students. It is great pay and its only 20 hours a week. I think I feel exhausted during the week. Saturdays I feel like its my down time at my second job. Its normally very quiet, and I get alot of work done. The problem is I don't have enough time between my family and my husband. Lately, that has been the biggest argument. I have been working 30 hrs at the community college because the semester just started. Things should settle down soon.

I am amazed how many of us hold other jobs. I get grumpy when people that don't work many hours always say they are "tired." I know that I am running on low since Saturday morning. I also volunteer weekdays and weekends, so it takes a toll.