How many of you have a second job?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 17, 2009.

?

Do you have a second job?

1. No, I don't have a second job.

46.8%
  2. Yes, I have a second job outside the home.

36.2%
  3. Yes, I have a second job at home (Avon, etc.)

4.3%
  4. I want a second job but I am too busy.

12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 17, 2009

I started working as a hostess in July, and I plan to keep the job as long as I can muster it (I'm only in my second year) on Sat nights only. I am so grateful to my boss for allowing me to do that! What's your second job, and how many hours do you work?

3. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 17, 2009

I work at a Dr's office on Saturdays. I worked there throughout college and decided to keep the Saturdays. It is for 4 hours and decent money. Plus, I can get my planning and grading done there.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I usually work 5-9 on three nights a week and 8-2 on Saturday. So, 18 hours. I often am early, so I usually work 20 hours a week.
    A girl is quitting and she does all the Sundays. I make pick up a few because I am having financial problems right now.

Of course, I do my school work at my 2nd job which makes it way easier :)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 17, 2009

I used to have a second job at a Drug Rehad, during the evening. It was great, as I could do all my school work there. It was like enforced study time.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

I'll be subbing this upcoming school year until I find a ft teaching position, but I also plan on getting a pt evening/weekend job. My city is opening an event center next month and this weekend, they're having a job fair. I'm hoping I can find a customer service position with the event center since they're looking for people to work evenings and weekends. Plus, I'd get to hear and see all the musicians and acts.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2009

I haven't had a 2nd job in the last few yrs, but for over a decade before that, I was in college & working a PT job or two OR in college, subbing & working another non-teaching related PT job. I'm so used to always being busy, it's not even funny, but these last few yrs have been heaven...finally no kind of work on the weekends!

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 17, 2009

I work a second retail job. During the school year on Sats. 8-4 or 5. During the summer I pick up two weeknights. This year, I may work an extra night during the week.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

I kind of do. I am doing a jewelry sales company, but it's not very often. I'm sure I've spent a lot more than I've made. I keep doing it mostly so I can buy jewelry-I feel like I look a lot more put together. I also teach summer school if that counts as a second job. I don't really make that much, but it really helps me out. I'm finishing my Master's and am paying for everything as I go with no loans, so any extra money helps!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

I don't have a job outside of school right now, but may take on some tutoring this year.

11. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

I work at our school's afterschool program 4 days a week. It's pretty good extra money and sometimes I'm able to get some planning or grading done when the kids are working independently. It's only 8 more hours a week.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

In addition to subbing I'm also a love slave......:whistle::whistle:

13. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Aug 17, 2009

In addition to teaching, I also have a handful of guitar & piano students that I teach at home. It's a perfect way for me to supplement my income, without being a huge time committment.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 17, 2009

My second job IS my first job (at the moment).. at the grocery. Then my third job is selling on ebay...and the fourth was summer school.

It's the FIRST job I'm having trouble landing!

(Truthfully, to have ONE job - teaching- would be... well, I don't know what i would do with only one.)

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2009

:lol:

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009

I have seriously thought about it... especially if my husband can not find a job. I would have to keep it a secret from the family (they would kill me for working two jobs while my hubby isn't working). I really want for him to find a job that makes him happy... willing to wait for that :)

17. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I work a second job but during the summer. This year I'm a nanny, the last three years I taught summer school.

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

stg,...... this week we are in Florida staying in my mother-in-law's home.... so I've served as pool boy.....:lol::lol:

Glad I'm retired and NOT looking for a job because I'd hate to put love slave and pool boy on my resume......:p

edit........ edit........ edit..

Just for clarification.....I'm a love slave to my wife..... pool boy for my M-N-L.....

19. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

You need a new option on the poll:

"I want a second job but I don't have one right no because no one will hire me not even Wal-Mart b/c the economy is so crappy." :)

That fits me to a T, unfortunately.

20. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 17, 2009

Me too! I just got a rejection email from TARGET! They said they couldn't offer me employment at this time. LOL. I've applied for many, many retail jobs all summer with no responses other than rejections.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2009

I had a hard time getting a retail job over a year ago. Some of it may be being overqualified when it comes to the big chains. I know when I worked at Kroger they always though people with college degrees would not stick around long and often hired someone else.
    It took me 6 months to find my job (I searched from December 2007 until May 2008). I applied everywhere- even to brand new stores opening up and didn't get hired. I thought it should be easy since I only wanted nights and weekends which are the highest demand times.
    Stupid, I know.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 18, 2009

I have a summer job, and I've done after-school tutoring.

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 18, 2009

I mentioned the other day (in another thread) that my 20 year old son had a second interview - for a BUSBOY position!! I could hardly believe it..until I ran into the restaurant to go to the bathroom, and saw him and 7 other young men all lined up in the waiting area of the restaurant...waiting to be interviewed.

And this wasn't a fancy restuarant... it's a family-style pizza restaurant in the Chicago suburbs.

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

I did my first year teaching. I worked at Hallmark during college and I just kept the job. It really wasn't too bad.

I have also taught night school, which is basically another job even though it was through my district.

25. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I guess I will consider it a second job since it takes a lot of my free time. I just picked up a babysitting job on the weekends during the day. And I'm babysitting for another family once a week on a weeknight.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2009

Yes, it's scary that someone who's way overqualified can't even get a retail or even fast food job. The last time I applied for a retail job was SteinMart a couple yrs ago & they never hired me either for some reason (& I had already had my MA). It wasn't like I was requesting a higher than usual pay & I had plenty of retail experience. (I always state that I want the prevailing pay rate, no matter what the job is).

My BF & I were talking about this a while back. The conclusion he came to is that these menial job companies are afraid that if you're too overqualified, you'll expect a higher pay.

It's wracked my brain how certain people can't even get a fast food job because there was a time someone I knew applied because they were hiring & the next time my friend check w/ them, the fast food places had hired someone already. :confused: The conclusion I came to is that I think these fast food managers hire their buddies, relatives, & friends of relatives because of course they'd rather get their buddies & relatives in first before hiring someone else. :mad:

Has anyone come up w/ any other reasons?

27. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I think nepotism is part of it, salary is also part of it too. I also think retail type places are afraid to hire college graduates becuse they are afraid that they have all gotten recently laid off, and will jump ship as soon as a better opportunity comes along.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 18, 2009

Yes, the term nepotism slipped my mind at the time I was posting. Yes, I guess these companies are sick & tired of taking the time to train new people, only to have them quit after a few months.

29. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

Hey - at least you know how to spell because! :whistle:

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

I just saw a job posting for a receptionist job at a car dealership. It seems like a good 2nd job since it's evenings and weekends! Anyone ever have this kind of job? What are some duties that you know of?

31. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 22, 2009

I work for the family business (a veterinary clinic) during my summers. :D Answering phones, cleaning cages, selling Frontline, etc.

I don't get paid of course, this is strictly volunteer. But it is a lot of fun, and a great way to spend time with the family.

32. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

I would not want to do that, just because I would not enjoy working with slimy car salesman. Also, from my experience visiting car dealerships, they tend to hire young, pretty girls for these types of positions - but if you are a young, pretty girl, more power to you! :) But, I agree with you, the hours seem like they would be perfect for a teacher.

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

I might be able to pull it off. I'm not "young" but I can pass for younger. I called about it but FABIO the mananger (no i'm not making that name up LOL) won't be available until Monday. I can give it a shot!

34. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

:rofl: at Fabio!! I wonder if he will look like him??!

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

I'll let you know LOL I hope not :woot: I might not be able to keep a straight face.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2009

Yes, keep us posted! I guess if you want to meet guys, that's the job to have, but just like whenever there's a group of mostly men around, many may be pigs.

Fabio huh?! I personally don't think he's good looking to me. He's not my type & that long hair of his doesn't help. :)

37. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Aug 22, 2009

At least you would have unlimited access to I can't believe it's not butter at work!!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

:toofunny:

39. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

I don't have a second job--with a husband and 3 teenagers, I barely have enough time to do my 1st job. Actually none of the teachers at my school have a "true" second job. Anybody who needs extra money for anything can do the many things that need to get done at a small school and get paid. My P pays extra to work athletic events, clubs especially cheerleading and dance team, and we get paid to do duty if we want to do it.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 22, 2009

I am at a private school and we can volunteer if we want but won't get paid.

41. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2009

Wow--I have always worked at a private school and have always gotten paid for doing clubs, working athletic events, and taking students on trips. This is the first school that actually pays for us to do duty.