How many of you guys still...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Brendan, May 11, 2007.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 11, 2007

Grade in red, I know I still do. I no I am evil using red to damage my kids, lol.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 11, 2007

I mark in whatever colour I can put my hands on first (ie. whatever pen my students haven't borrowed during the day).

4. SenoritaL

SenoritaL Rookie

May 11, 2007

ditto, if all I have is red, i'll use it, but pretty much anything will do!

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 11, 2007

I use red. I don't see what the big deal is. If I start grading in green all the time, won't they be upset when they see a lot of green marks on their papers? Is there supposed to be something more "damaging" about red ink?

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 11, 2007

According to some, yes. You haven't seen any of those articles?

7. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 11, 2007

I hate grading papers. Colors make it more interesting. So I use colors purely for selfish reasons!

8. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

May 11, 2007

I try to use purple whenever possible, but I always misplace my pens >< So I use whatever color I have, but I avoid red. I also avoid putting "x's" on the wrong answer. I prefer circles. :p

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 11, 2007

I also use any colour I find.

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

May 11, 2007

I'd heard about red not being good, but I haven't actually seen the articles. I thought it had to do with always seeing the same color marking their mistakes. I try not to use X's either. I usually make check marks.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 11, 2007

I, too, have heard that red is to be avoided, but the school districts here issue school supply lists for the kids that include red pens for the teacher, so I will probably use them, even though my view is as long as it is colored (that way you can tell it's an original) is fine.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2007

Hi. My name is Alice and I'm a BAD teacher.

I grade papers in red.

I put an "X" on those that aren't right.

I only give stickers to those grades of 90% and higher, regardless of how really really hard they tried.

I was accused just this week of lowering a student's self esteem by asking him to open a math notebook.

Think there's any hope for me??? :)

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 11, 2007

Oh my gravy!

Alice! ROFL:D Did you actually expect the child to do something horrible, like work?

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 11, 2007

I don't use "X"s'; I check mark those correct and circle incorrect.

Alice, I think that your obvious exceptional skills will make up for any small short-comings!:D

15. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

May 11, 2007

I use whatever color I have. Everyone's paper is marked up. If it is wrong, I use a slash or an x. If it is right, I put a check. I also write comments here and there. You can't tell at a glance how a child in my room did.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2007

17. maroki

maroki Comrade

May 11, 2007

I mark on all my students' papers, regardless of how they did. I'm a bit of a color fanatic, so I'll use whatever color I grab out of my pen cup.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 11, 2007

That is exactly how I grade. Well I do the check/x thing, write the total points subtracted, and then write the graded as ___points/____points=___%.

Alice in regards to stickers I have the same rule, but my problem is that I never remeber to put them on the papers. I grade in red almost always, well sometimes green or an aqua color. I have wasted so much money buying green, orange, aqua pensa long with other non-red colors of various types and styles like rollerballs, felt tips, etc. And if you can believe it I almsot always use my Bic-4 Color Pen or a regular red pen. I know I am pathetic.

So I guess that makes me worse to the math teacher next door (well actually almost all of the math department, except a select few) who can't teach doesn't give the kids notes and says that notes aren't needed in math, right!

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 11, 2007

I keep the stickers by the homework tray.

20. srh

srh Devotee

May 11, 2007

Funny. In Kindergarten, most of our instructions to students during math include, "Put an 'X' on the shape that does not fit with..." That is how the curriculum is written, supposedly by experts in their fields! Students know that an "X" means it is "not right." I use X's when marking their homework because they understand what that means. And I love red, although I tend to use highlighters or light-writing markers just for the creative effect. But then, I'm not writing a lot of notes to students!

In my former career, the officers whose papers I proofed and/or edited ASKED me to use red if for some reason I hadn't. They said it was so much easier to spot things and helped things to visually stand out in their minds...hopefully that will help students not make the same mistakes again and again!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

add me to the grades in whatever pen works category.

I usually use highlighters though. I also give huge x to show errors (j/k- I do use x though)

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 12, 2007

I use an x for short answer or multiple choice questions. I do not write on my students' final drafts of book reports or stories. I attach comments with a sticky note.

I use all different colors, sometimes red. Yeah, our principal asked us not to use red a couple of years ago, but I don't think it is a big deal either way.

23. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 12, 2007

I ususally use red because I think it's easier to see. Sometimes I grab a purple or green pen, but not often.

I also use an X when something is wrong. If I ask them to correct it, I circle the X to show it's been corrected.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 12, 2007

I use purple, but I have been known to use a orange sharpie. I circle what is wrong and require any paper below a 70% to be redone. I circle the wrong answer to make it easier to erase and correct. I find that the kids (and my peers) like Laffy Taffy better than stickers. Only give it out on test and must be above a 95%.

25. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

We learned about not using red in one of my credential classes. I thought it was the goofiest thing I'd ever heard! And using checks for wrong answers confuses me. I circle wrong answers if the child is going to redo the questions, but I think it's nuts to "check" a wrong answer--check means "okay", doesn't it??? :)

26. srh

srh Devotee

May 12, 2007

eduk8r...When I was growing up, a check mark was actually what we always used to indicate "wrong answer." I guess it just depends on the teacher!

It is confusing, though, if you're having students "check" a box for multiple choice or whatever. Probably why most of my teachers made lines where you had to write in the letter answer, or we were told to draw lines to the right answer. That last one is really awful, though, because then you have to follow all the lines to correct them! :-D

27. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

We've had debates on this subjuct before. If your interested to see what other thought, do a quick forum search.

As for me, I grade with whatever pen I can find. Lately it's been red, because that's the pen that rights the best. Sometimes it's black, blue, green, purple....

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

Then I must be a really bad teacher, because I only put stickers on 100% papers.

29. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

May 12, 2007

I also use whatever color I can find. :)

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 12, 2007

I love this "hot" topic!

Even those of us that homeschool have to let the kids know when they make a mistake, and I'm lucky to find ANY pen or pencil, that is what I asked for for Mother's Day----- MY OWN PENS and note pads! LOL, I put a check and X or a circle depending on my mood, I wanted to become a teacher (yes I was going to school to be a teacher) so that I COULD BE INCHARGE OF THE STICKERS! I wanted to place the scolastic book orders, I wanted to draw the happy faces on the tops of the kids' papers!

But in the olden days when there was only Red, black and blue ink, I guess thats why teachers chose RED to make corrections with, and I had plenty of papers with red marks on them, and I think I turned out ok.

I mean can't you just hear little Jack saying "boy I'm so bummed that the teacher didn't put a purple smile face sticker on my book report like she did Mikey's paper"

I think saying that using a red pen to grade papers will damage the child's integrity is like saying the same thing if you give out the wrong kind of stickers! --- or there lack of.

31. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 12, 2007

Thanks for the 411.:angel:

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

I do a line (/) through the wrong answer and circle the correct answer.

33. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 12, 2007

I use whatever color is close. I'm like some of the other posters, my ADD tendancies like lots of colors so I use them for me, not necessarily the kids. I put on X where the correct answer should be (unless it's one they will be handed back to correct). My master teacher taught me that, that way if they go back and change an answer (not that the little darlings would ever do that! :rolleyes: ) you can see the pencil mark over the X. We are point based so at the top they get the points correct over the points possible and their grade. One of my coworkers will send home papers with huge checks across the front and no grade. That drives me crazy. (She teaches all the reading so my kids are bringing those papers home.) I bug her because every time she does I send a kid down to her room to get her to write grades on them. :D )

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2007

I put a grade at the top (12/12) and percentage (usually) if I take a grade in the gradebook on that paper. If I don't take a grade on it, I will just put a mark on the incorrect problem (like post above). That's my way of showing parents which papers are included in their child's grade (which I explain to them at the beginning of the year).

35. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 12, 2007

I don't grade often in Kindergarten but when I taught 1st and 2nd grade I tended to use the horrid brown marker. All the kids wondered why I would use brown. I think it actually bothered them. They might have prefered red. Every once in awhile I would use purple.

36. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 12, 2007

I use colored and scented markers to grade papers- I love them, just like a little kid! :) Red smells like cherry!

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 12, 2007

I use red because it is my *favorite* color, and I think it is because I have poor eyesight and red always stands out for me. My phone is red, my wallet is red, my key ring is red. Anything I want to see is red.

38. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

May 12, 2007

I like that idea of circling the x. I usually just overwrite with a big "correct mark." Next year I'll do it your way!

As for colors, I use Flair marker pencs to correct, multi-colored, red included. I don't think I've damaged anyone's psyche yet. And occasionally a "rainbow" pencil I got at the toy store. The first graders love it!

39. teachall

teachall Rookie

May 12, 2007

I like to use a variety of colors. I also use markers, sharpie, and ink pens. Whatever I get to first.

40. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 12, 2007

I use purple. It makes a 35% on an exam seem nicer ;)

41. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 12, 2007

On my child's report card, it confuses me every single time I get one because they use x to mean the child did okay in that behavior. At first I will seriously forget and start to gripe my son out and then realize he couldn't have gotten an x on that many behaviors. Then I backtrack and read the legend (which is tiny).