How many of you got hired this late summer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Aug 2, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 19, 2014

I've been thinking the same thing CDOR79! I have a couple possible positions with alt Ed schools, but a lot of districts are still posting positions! I'm afraid if I take an alt ed job something better in a district might pop up! But I think it would be almost cruel to leave a school hanging when school starts next week!

Anyone have any thoughts on this question?

2. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

First, you need to check your contract. Some places have a deadline. If you resign after the deadline, they can hold you for 30-60 days and your license could be in jeopardy if you don't work the 30-60 days.

Otherwise, I think 2 weeks is courteous. When I taught in NC, teachers reported back around the 3rd Monday in August. I stopped looking on August 1st.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

I was hired yesterday afternoon. That's pretty late in the game!

4. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 19, 2014

I was hired on August 8, with school starting (for new teachers) August 11th. I had to relocate from 8 hours away and managed to start on the 12th (with the Ps permission)

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Many districts are still hiring and will continue to do so for a while.

My district (Baltimore City PS, MD) is still looking for teachers. It's not a top performing district, but it is a top-paying (in MD). We currently have over 100 classroom teacher vacancies and that number is expected to rise because many people quit by the end of September.

My point is that depending on the market/district, people are still hiring. Good luck!

6. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Here, if you wanted to leave the district at this point of the year and STILL teach, you're screwed. You have to notify my district of your resignation by May 1; after that date, they will suspend your license so you can' teach in the state. But, most districts are not this petty or desperate to keep teachers. Contact your Union rep.

Here, if you want to transfer to another school within the district, this only works if both Ps are willing to do a transfer which is very rare and not promoted by our CEO at this time of the year.

Good luck!

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

I'm not under contract right now (I held off on signing for next year) and I'm not in a district. I teach at a Catholic school so there's more flexibility.

With that being said though, there's still my principal to consider and I'm not going to screw her and give her less than a week's notice to find a replacement. That's my dilemma. It's more about that than anything else. In addition to giving MYSELF little time to prepare my room and lessons...especially if I'm starting at a new school!