how many of you give homework

Discussion in 'High School' started by traeh, Apr 6, 2008.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 6, 2008

I give homework generally 3-5 times / weekly. However, I have spoken to teachers to expect kids to only do work in class. My kids HATE homework.. as is expected. However, I do think it's necessary to practice the skills they have learned. What do you think?

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

We are on the block scheduling; semester courses only for most of my classes. I give homework and classwork everyday, each is worth 20% of their final grade.

4. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

We are also on the block. I assign HW, but nothing nightly. I give out a calendar on a monthly basis with reading assignments and major due dates. Also, on the board is a weekly agenda with HW assignments. This way, if they want, they can get HW done when they have time and dont' have to get booged down if they have to work, practice, games, etc.
    Also, I give an optional HW packet for the book. Some studies do them and they get a grade, but others choose not to for a variety of reasons.
    Each unit they have a long term project. 60% of that is HW.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2008

Homework is anything they don't finish in class. The only time I assign homework is if its part of a big project.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 6, 2008

Can you tell me more about the optional homework packet.

7. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

Only "homework" I give students is to study for tests. Some projects we do are 'out of class' projects. Our students don't have books this year...because they don't have lockers (we are doing a total remodel of both floors) With my classes, most of the homework would be from the book, i.e. chapter questions, worksheets for the chapter. I don't really see the point in giving students that type of work to do for history classes.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2008

I don't have textbooks for every student, either, so when we are doing a unit out of the book (rare) I don't give much homework. Most of the time, my students have time to start whatever the homework is at the end of class.

In my honors classes, i give all the work ahead of time so that the students can read ahead and work ahead.

A lot of my kids don't do their homework - and my reaction to that is basically Oh Well. I am not going to feel bead giving you a lower grade because you aren't going to do it. If they have problems and come to me, or if I know there is an issue at home (like they have to work because they have to or are responsible for their siblings and cooking dinner and cleaning the house, etc., then I will make other arrangements).

9. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Apr 7, 2008

Orangeblossom, I'm with Brendan - could you tell us more about that optional homework packet? Thanks!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2008

I ask students to do these things on their own time outside of class:

Study vocab and endings
    Finish translations if they don't finish them in class
    Read a chapter and take notes before I go over it in class the next day

I rarely assign true homework, that is work to be started and completed at home. I find that it's difficult enough to get students to just complete work at home.

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

The kids at my school don't do work as it is. So giving homework would be pointless. I tried it last year, and got minimal response. Hopefully the new school will be better.
    I will assign some work then.

12. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 7, 2008

For my Pre-AP's I give homework almost every class (block schedule) -- at least every other class. They have to do all their reading outside of class (except Shakespeare). They have to take notes or fill in a guided reading sheet with each reading assignment.

When we do the research paper, only a little class time is devoted to research. Mostly class instruction is on the how-to's. All writing & other research is done outside of class.

There are also various other homework assignments I give throughout the year. I actually stay away from most big projects. Their big grades are in-class essays or papers written on their own.

For my regular classes, it's a modified version of the same. They do most reading assignments outside of class & do storyboards or a guided reading sheet with it. Plus, they have writing assignments to do. But they usually only have homework once a week.

13. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

I teach 7th graders everyday for 95 mins. Because English and math teachers see the kids twice as much, I don't think it's fair to assign twice as much HW. Mon. is voc. sentences. Tues. is spelling HW. Wed. is to finish weekly journals and study for the spelling test. Thurs. is to study for voc. Fri. is just to read their library book... a suggestion, but nothing I check, except at the end of the quarter for AR goals.

14. manatee23

manatee23 Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

During the first two quarters I never gave homework, well I tried, but I didn’t have enough books at the time for every student, so most would come in and say they didn’t understand it and didn’t have a book, regardless of the fact that I don’t even use the text book in my lessons and all the work I gave came directly from their notes or other assignments from class. But I would get angry emails from PARENTS saying how could I assign homework with no book. Ridiculous! Fast-forward to third quarter, I get my books I issue them and I start utilizing the heck out of the Edline web page, I had my own but none of the students went to it, they all wanted it on Edline, so I complied. I have everything on the calendar and even copies of all work on there for them to download in case they lost it, and I would send out reminder emails to the students AND parents. It helped take the “excuses” away, but this has all been an exercise in futility. The kids that will always do the homework have A/Bs anyway, and it just seems to bring down my C/D students to the D/F range because they refuse to do it. So now the policy is if you don’t finish it it’s homework, and big projects of course are all homework. I think next year, now that I have the books and I am more familiar with Edline, I will start the year stronger in the homework department. I the biggest issue was raising my expectations so late in the year, but that maybe just wishful thinking ;).

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 8, 2008

<<Homework is anything they don't finish in class. The only time I assign homework is if its part of a big project.>>

This is how I do it as well.

Homework is a joke for most students. Unless you are reinforcing math skills it is a waste of time, energy and motivation. I do feel that having AP kids read ahead makes sense but most kids can't read for content on their own so there's little point for them. I'm glad to see education finally moving this way.

Homework will happen naturally when we make education a priority in our country. Until then, it is merely hindering education in my view.

16. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

We give "reading packets" that go along with the reading assignments. Basic packet format. Anyhow, to some kids, packets/worksheets seem like busy work and it resulted in copying, zeros, writing down any ole answer, etc. So, as a 10th grade team, we decided to move to optional packets. That way, if a student needed the help to pick out the meat/potatoes from the reading, they do the packet & get points. If they don't need it, they don't have to do it and are excused from the grade (not a zero). To make sure the non-packet-doing kids are still reading, we give reading quizzes and scored discussions.
    Some kids love the packets & points, some detest them... so it works out.

17. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 8, 2008

rocky guy..

I agree with you that, 'Homework will happen naturally when we make education a priority in our country. Until then, it is merely hindering education in my view.'

As my kids don't take the language very seriously and most are not conscientious about their schoolwork .... they generally rush through the homework.

I'm going to begin assigning anything we don't finish. That is a good idea!! thnx : )

18. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 8, 2008

small town gal..

what do you teach?

19. traeh

traeh Companion

Apr 8, 2008

cassie -- what kind of translations (sentences, words?..) is this a routine?

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

Right now nothing, but am hoping to get into an english position in middle school for next year. Last year I taught 2nd grade and they had the same thing...anything in class not finished and any projects we didnt.

21. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 8, 2008

"If they don't need it, they don't have to do it and are excused from the grade (not a zero). "
    How do you score this?

22. Calliope

Calliope Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Our Freshman Academy implemented an across the board "zero late work" policy. When homework is not done, the students receive a zero. Period. Every class. Every teacher. People were dubious at first, but it works! Parents & students know the policy, & after making believers out of them the first quarter, the vast majority of kids actually do their homework.

Also, any time a student doesn't do his/her homework in my class, he has to write a note just saying he didn't do it, signing & dating it. I put them in my big binders with behavior stuff & contact info. This eliminates the "she lost my assignment" stuff, & during P/T conferences, I can pull out the stack & say "this is why he's failing my class." It's pretty irrefutable.

Anyway, teachers were dubious about this no late work policy, until the kids started moving up in the ranks. The sophomore teachers can't believe how much more responsible the students are that they're getting since we implemented the policy. We showed the administration that the policy works, & the admins back us 100% on it now.

23. OrangeBlossum

OrangeBlossum Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

By saying "if they don't need it".... I mean they don't need to do a packet to understand the reading. If they choose not to do it, it appears as a blank in the gradebook; they get no points for it. But, it also does not count against them either.

24. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Apr 8, 2008

I gave homework almost every night when I taught middle school. Students always needed to practice vocab and were asked to review the grammar from class. In addition, I had several websites they could check out and practice on. No excuses. Likewise, I couldn't check all of that. If it was a gradeable assignment, I graded it. Late scores were accepted until a set point in the trimester and then I changed it to a zero.

25. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 9, 2008

I'm feeling dense (smile!!) When you do your, say, quarter grades, do you have to add up a separate "total points" for each student, so you get their final point total and then divide it by each individual point total? If each student can choose not to do an assignment, how does that particular assignment points fit - or not fit - into the final quarter point total (I'm not sure I'm making this very clear...if not, I'll try again!)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  26. HistoryGuy87

HistoryGuy87 New Member

Apr 9, 2008

I give homework at most 4 times a week, normally 3. I teach honors U.S. History I and II, and I feel that although we discuss the majority of the unit details in class, students still need to practice skills. Monday is normally an introductory day (I plan my units into normally three-four week slots, a topic each week, starting Monday, ending Friday). On Mondays, students must skim the chapter in the textbook for pictures, graphs, etc. and read their captions. Also, students are recommended to read the "Main Ideas," "Section Summaries," and view the bolded headings. They do not have to read, but I want them to have some information going into the unit. Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Thursdays is from a packet I made using my notes. I wrote in "article" form (two columns) and students must read normally 1short page and answer three critical thinking questions (this is unbelievably easy but vital for students to comprehend what they read and be able to think critically). Thursday is normally nothing and Friday I assign workbook pages to reinforce what we learned that week (I know most students will wait until Sunday to do it, so it gets them to remember things the day before we continue in the unit). All homeworks are worth five points (unless they're extensive). I grade all homeworks for accuracy at the end of the week (again, extremely easy considering we discuss the hw in class, but I do not say "Number 3 is...." I include the answer in my lecture).

Some say homework is a waste but developing writing and reading skills is not wasteful at all.

No teacher is allowed to accept late work on a HW assignment, but students MUST make up missed assignments if they miss 3 or more to earn credit for the quarter. Thus, HW is normally always done. (They do not get credit for handing it in late, but they do get their credit for the quarter.)

27. historyguy79

historyguy79 Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

^I can't help but feel you stole my name.

Anyways, I just find students do less and less homework. I like to assign some extra things to reinforce what I did in my class, like a short primary document on the Nazis or something on fascism if we learned that in class. Usually half my class does it, the other half gets a 0 on it.

I like the kids who use, "I didn't understand it." as an excuse when I know their abilities and know they clearly could understand it, they just need to actually take time to read it outside of homeroom or the class before.

28. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

It depends on what I'm teaching. There has been no homework for the last couple of days because we're prepping for interm tests but I give homework at least three days a week. Now if the students are smart enough to finish it in class then they're home free so to speak...

29. DocHistory11

DocHistory11 Rookie

Apr 10, 2008

I work in a school where 95% of the students do their HW, whether it be a general, Regents, Honors, or AP course. Therefore, I always give some form of homework per week. Each unit has at least 1 DBQ Essay and 1 Critical Anaylsis Essay, so I normally don't give HW when an essay is assigned. Also, I give handouts that students are to complete using their notes (with critical thinking questions as well).