How many of you can't develop your own classroom rules?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

Our school uses Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible. It's not so bad - afterall, every infraction fits in there somewhere - but it would be nice to develop my own. I guess I don't like being told what to do :rolleyes:

3. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Yeah we did that too this year. Kinda stinks. I've always done a Classroom Mission Statement where the kids write it and sign it. I miss that.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 11, 2010

We can write our own.

5. Harper

Harper Companion

Aug 11, 2010

We must use the school rules.
    I skirt that by developing a list of classroom norms - how we DO the rules in my class or what they LOOK like in my room. Principal seems ok with it.

BTW - DD's school has the same rules as yours :)

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

Top down rules. Bummer.

We do our own, starting with the students' hopes and dreams for the school year, followed by what rules we need to make their goals happen. Responsive Classroom.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

We do Baldrige, so we have to post the two principles (I am responsible for my own learning, I am response-ABLE to the success of the class). I don't mind, though, because between making a class mission, vision, purpose, and quality student, the students have a lot of say in what the "rules" for the classroom will be.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

We have school "guidelines for success" that everybody uses. Even with that, I still have some "rules" posted in my room. They're specific to my classroom.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

We have five mandated school-wide rules:
    1. Raise your hand before speaking.
    2. Follow directions when given the first time.
    3. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
    4. Remain seated when the teacher is teaching.
    5. Be the best you can be at all times!

They aren't perfect, but the kids have no problem learning and remembering them (most of the time). They recite them every morning. Can you tell our P is retired military?? LOL Actually, I tell the kids that, in addition to the school rules, I have one more to add, and I got it from WBT: "Keep Your Dear Teacher Happy." Any infraction breaks that rule! LOL

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 11, 2010

We couldn't create our own rules last year. I actually LIKE school-wide rules. If I'm out and my class has to be split up, then they will know how to act in another class. I think it is too confusing to have so many different sets of rules in a school. Plus, it creates a positive community when the expectations are the same.

11. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 11, 2010

Oh, yes, you might want to do a Look, See, Feel, Hear chart. That may help you to accomplish your need for more specific rules.

This chart requires a large piece of chart paper. Use a marker to divide the paper into fourths. One fourth is titled "Look", one is titled "See", one is titled "Hear" and one is titled "Feel". I typically draw big googly eyes for "look" and a big ear for "hear", a big heart for "feel", etc.

Then, you lead a discussion with your class on what it "looks like" to be safe, respectful and responsible. You chart those ideas one day and then you lead another discussion (maybe the next day depending on the ages) on what you would see if the class was being respectful, safe and responsible. Etc., Etc., Etc.,

It is a great way to help kids envision and concept as well as state what type of words you would hear, what type of feelings that atmosphere would foster, etc.

Then, when someone misbehaves, you could say, "We agreed as a class that being safe, responsible, and respectful would mean that there was no running inside."

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

We had a principal a few years ago that was a total control freak. The day before school started, she wanted copies of all our class rules, handouts, etc for the first day and then proceeded to correct and change everyones. Of course, by that time we had already made all our copies.
    It was little, nitpicking stuff that she was wanting to change - "I don't like the way this is worded and think you should change it."

13. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

The school officially adopted those three rules this year, and I decided to change my classroom rules to follow along. It was my choosing, though, I was not told to do so. I figured it would be nice to have the consistency, and like you said, any infraction can fit in somewhere.