How many meetings a month?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dgpiaffeteach, Oct 26, 2013.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 26, 2013

A lot of people on here seem to have a lot of meetings. I'm just curious what types of meetings you have and how often?

We operate on a two hour delay once a month for PD and staff meetings. This also gives us time to meet in departments if we choose.

I'm on the principal-teacher committee. We meet once a month as well. I was asked to be on it and accepted, so it's definitely not requested.

We have PT conferences twice a year. I've never had a parent request a conference outside of that, most communication is done via email.

I've attended one IEP meeting this year. We don't meet as a "department" very often. There are two of us and we each teach two grades. We have lunch together often and talk shop as needed (not often though).

I feel so lucky to have an admin that so values our time. They are allowed by contract to call a staff meeting one day per month after school, but they've only had to do it once per year.

3. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 26, 2013

We have a meeting during our planning every other week with an independent company that the district has contracted with. These meetings are supposed to help up align with common core; however, Oklahoma isn't even going with common core, so we all see it as a huge waste of money, but whatever. On the weeks we don't have those meetings, we have grade level meetings during our planning.

We have an early release day once a month when a faculty meeting is held. Sometimes we have faculty meetings during our lunch.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 26, 2013

We have a two and a half hour staff meeting after school once a month, and we have two one-hour CLT meetings a week. I also have district-mandated PD three hours a month, and every teacher is required to be on a curriculum team, which generally meets for about three hours total per month.

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Oct 26, 2013

Building leadership team- minimum two days a month 1-2 hours per meeting

IEP/some type of special meeting for students in my class - 4-5 per month-usually a minimum of 45 minutes each

Teacher based team meetings-minimum of one per week for 45 minutes

RTI- two times per month-45-60 minutes per meeting

Campus wide grade level meetings-2 per month- minimum of 45 minutes each

Professional dev. Meetings-4 per month-45-60 minutes

Math coach meeting- 4per month 45-60 minutes

Staff meetings-2 per month - 45 minutes

Campus staff meetings- 2per month -45-60 minutes

SLO or Alice training or FIP training- 1 per month for 45 minutes

Plus, we are required to make a minimum of 8 parent contacts per month. The goal is for two of those contacts to be a face to face conference with the parents of children that are at risk. All contacts have to be documented and turned in to the principal.

Sometimes I literally run from one meeting to another. I spend far more time in meetings than I do on planning lessons. When an announcement is made that a meeting is cancelled you can hear the teachers cheer!

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 26, 2013

We have team meetings during plan once a week. The agenda is set by admin, so co-planning is done on our own time.

We have a half hour staff meeting before school every other week. On the alternate weeks, we have a one hour meeting after school.

We meet with coaches twice a month during plan.

We have an IEP meeting for each IEP student in our class. Sometimes it's during plan, sometimes not.

We also have additional meetings during plan or before school or after school every time there's a new initiative. There seems to be a new initiative every year. The frequency and duration of those meetings varies.

7. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Oct 26, 2013

IEP or parent meetings are usually 3-4 per month (although come spring that number will increase)

Staff meetings are as needed after school (have only had 2 so far this year)

Grade Level meetings weekly

Content partner (grade level) meetings weekly

Content meetings once a month unless a faculty meeting is held that same week.

The majority of these meetings are luckily very short. My school is under a different administrator this year who cut out a lot of the meetings we had to attend last year. Last year I had at least one meeting per week after school and 3 days of planning that were dedicated to meetings. Luckily I no longer have that.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2013

One meeting a week with my team, either to discuss current curriculum or to plan our shift to Common Core.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 26, 2013

Weekly grade level.

Weekly instructional leadership team.

Once a month committee meeting.

I usually have a few IEP meetings in there too. And I meet with families weekly.

10. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Oct 26, 2013

We usually have some sort of meeting at least 2-3 times per week then add in any IEP meetings

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2013

This school year, ONLY my IEP meetings & I have 9 so far this entire year!!! :D

At my last job...

4 per month to discuss upcoming issues (2 every other wk at ea school) + about 10-12 SSTs (student study teams) throughout the yr + 1 monthly SLP mtg + about 50 IEPs throughout yr = 112 all yr total

Yeah, a HUGE difference!

12. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 26, 2013

Monthly
    1 20-min staff meeting
    2-3 IEP meetings
    1-2 P/T conferences
    4 Team meetings (usually 2, but I'm on 2 diff teams)
    1 Department meeting

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 26, 2013

Weekly planning meetings with grade level (documentation required)

Every other week PLC meeting with grade level

Weekly planning with co-teacher for inclusion

Staff meetings once a month

Committee meetings once a month and as necessary

PTO meetings once a month

14. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Oct 26, 2013

Weekly grade-level meetings
    Weekly grade-level meetings for the ELA teachers only
    Bi-monthly early release meetings with the whole school
    Committee meetings once a month

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 26, 2013

Our grade level meets every Wednesday to bond and plan. We order lunch to be delivered and it's been great. That is voluntary-no other team does that.

We have early release every Thursday for either school or district planning time. The topic is different every week. Sometimes we get the time to just work in our room-that's heaven.

We have staff meetings once a month for 45 minutes in the morning, and three mandatory 3 hour PDs that are district wide throughout the year. Those 3 PDs make it possible for us to skip PD before school starts.

That's about it. There are random IEPs, evaluation planning/post meetings, chats with district content leaders. I feel our meetings are well planned and I always gain something from them.

16. MrEd3000

MrEd3000 Rookie

Oct 26, 2013

Miami

My middle school has team meetings every Tues and Thursday, half an hour before homeroom starts, that's when the Parent Conferences are held. We do group conferences, all teachers, same student. Works well, if they show up.
    On Mon and Fri we have Dept. meetings. Works well but i do enjoy having the mornings to do last minute preparation in the morning.
    Staff meetings every month.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 26, 2013

I have a meeting every Wednesday for 1-1.5 hours.

I have a meeting every Friday (except for one) for 1.5 - 2 hours. We get one Friday to do our own thing - team planning, cleaning our classroom...

I have a 45 min. classroom meeting every 2nd Tuesday before school.

Committees set their own planning times. My committee meets through e-mail or while we are supervising our students during morning recess. :lol:

18. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Oct 26, 2013

Weekly team meetings
    Monthly staff meeting
    Twice monthly leadership team meeting
    One or two IEPs per month
    Monthly curriculum meetings
    Numerous parent meetings

19. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Oct 26, 2013

After school twice a month for 1 hr--once for faculty and once for department meetings. We also have team meetings once a week, but we get relieved from our duties for these.

20. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 27, 2013

We meet 3 times a week for 40 minutes each as a grade level team.

I have curriculum council 1x per month for an hour.

I also have grade-level chair meetings 1x month for 40 minutes.

Staff meetings are 2x a month for an hour.

IEP meetings....well, I am a SPED teacher and I work with about 30 kids. So you can do the math on that one :p

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 27, 2013

-PLC Meeting every Tuesday morning for 45 minutes
    -Staff Meeting every Wednesday morning for 45 minutes
    -PBIS committee meeting once per month for 1 hour
    -Service team leader meeting once per month for 1 hour
    -I'm on a CCSS ELA team that meets every other month for an entire day (7 hours)

Those are my only regularly scheduled meetings, but I have tons more. I have 6 students with special needs in my classroom, so I have to meet with the SPED teacher quite often.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 27, 2013

I definitely have a ton of other meetings other than my weekly with my team, but they tend to be scheduled ad hoc. Last week, I had a training meeting for most of one morning as well as my monthly walk-through follow-up meeting with my new evaluator. There was also a cross-academic meeting to give our team a name (I think they went with The Grizzlies), but I missed that one due to my schedule.

Usually, I would also have IEP meetings at least once a week, but this is the first year I have no IEP students, only 504 Plans.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 27, 2013

I very rarely have meetings pop up. I wonder if it is because we are so small? We graduate about 60 kids each year. Half of the juniors and seniors are PSEO or at the career center. I bet that makes a huge difference compared to other schools. We have no teams, just departments. There are 2-4 teachers in each department.

24. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Oct 27, 2013

School Improvement Team 1 x
    Faculty Meeting 1 x
    IEP Meetings 2-3 x's
    PLC's 2 x's

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2013

Every week: grade level meeting and PLC meeting
    Twice a month: Report card committee (we are revamping ours)
    Once a month: faculty meeting
    Once every two months or so: union meeting

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 27, 2013

We have a staff meeting once a week after school for an hour. Sometimes we get a week off.

I have a grade level meeting during PE usually once a week.

We are all on committees, and my committee meets about once a month after school for an hour. Sometimes there are stretches where we will meet more.

Then there are also intervention meetings, SSTs, and IEPs. The number of those meetings depends on the kids in your class.

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 27, 2013

We generally have faculty meetings after school on Mondays every other week for an hour and a half or so.
    We have grade-level meetings during our "planning period" about once per week.
    I have parent meetings on an as-needed basis. So far this year, I've had 8 meetings (I have 15 students). That doesn't count time on the phone.

Then there are the "unofficial" meetings, like the hours my co-worker and I spend on the phone planning, or when a parent comes to school before school, because they know I'll be there.

Oh, and that doesn't count the unannounced stuff they throw at us - Oh, you need to watch this video now... we have someone here to train you on this today... etc.

Fun!