How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Jul 27, 2010.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 27, 2010

As a new grad I have applied to over 20 districts and I'm wondering when/if my references are going to scream "That's it! No more!" Since I just student taught every district wants the same people, my supervisor and cooperating teachers. Most of the districts use online applications, so my references get an email every time I submit an application (whether the district is considering me or not). At what point should I just hope that I'll get something in one of the districts I have already applied to? I'm afraid of my references getting tired of doing it and just not returning/filling out the reference. On the other hand, I really don't want to not apply to a district that would have been the one that hired me.

3. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Just do it! I felt like you did at first and actually apologized to all of my references. They told me to stop being silly and that's just part of it and that they are happy to do it for me. I also gave all of my references a little "thank you" gift and note before I left.

4. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 27, 2010

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :) I have applied to 21 districts plus one application for 12 others.

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

I know it seems like it would be alot for them to do, but references really dont mind, thats why they ar eyour reference. They know how competitive it is out there and know they have to do this in order for you to get your dream job. Good luck.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2010

That's why they are your references...to help you land a job and because they feel you are an outstanding candidate. Its never enough districts until you land your job :)

Also, some districts may not even contact your references until you make it to the final round...

Good luck!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2010

That's generally how it works around here...with 1500 resumes for our recent openings, we wouldn't spend time checking references on candidates unless we were absolutely sure we were interested in them!!

Even if the OP's references do have to fill out multiple recommendations, it's easy enough for them to save their letters in a word doc and just upload every time they need to...shouldn't take more than a moment or two.

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 28, 2010

The online applications send them a link to a form to fill out as soon as I submit and nearly all the applications I've done have been online so they've done a lot of these already :eek:

Plus I never know quite how to reply when they ask how the search is going. I've had interviews, but all except one were over a month ago. I thought I was lucky to get so many so early in the year, but now I can't seem to get any more.

9. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 28, 2010

Wow, mine never even contacted my references >_< I was kinda upset