How many is too many? A good problem to have :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HOPE-fulTeacher, Jun 7, 2011.

1. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2011

I currently have 10 references that I list on applications, 6 of whom I have letters from and 2 more that will be getting me letters soon. I don't want it to be skipped over because it looks overwhelming.

How many references is it ok to list? If it's less than 10 (which I'm guessing it is), who should I eliminate? This is who I currently list...

(from most recent, along with the years that I worked with them)

2010-2011:
    Principal @ current school (asst position)
    2 supervising teachers I worked under

2009-2011:
    Director of summer program I work at

2010:
    ST cooperating teacher
    ST college supervisor

2009-2010:
    Education prof (for methods class)
    Major content area prof (had for 3 classes)

2007-2010:
    Supervisor of the library job I had throughout college

2004-2008:
    Director of the camp I worked at

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2011

10 is too many! Most applications will ask for 4. I did fill out some that aske for 7, so it's good you have so many just in case. I'd say you can get rid of the camp thing, the library thing, the prof, and the summer program. It's great to have things like that, but superivising teachers for ST and principals will be your most valuable references...those people are who the schools will really want to hear from. If the application asks for 3 or 4 references, you could just rotate the ones you have left (excluding the ones I mentioned) so that the same 3 people aren't getting totally overwhelmed. Most of the applications I filled out online automatically sent an e-mail thing to references that they had to fill out, and I applied to hundreds of jobs...I felt bad for my references!

My top references were my two co-op teachers for student teaching and my university supervisor for stuent teaching. The 4th I listed (almost every app I filled out asked for 4) was one of my education professors. I save people like bosses from non-education jobs for the random ones that asked for tons of references, or for if an app asked for "personal" references.

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 7, 2011

I've always been told by principals, teachers, and my professors that you shouldn't put more than 4 references on an application. Most schools want, and will check, 3 references but it's a good idea to have one extra in case they cannot get a hold of one of your references in time.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 7, 2011

What do applications in your area ask for?

In CA, they almost always want 3 letters of recommendation (it's almost always a letter here, not just a reference), and sometimes they can't be more than a year or 1.5 years old.

I agree with waterfall - use the ST cooperating teacher, the supervisor, and the principal at your current job. I'd personally probably use a supervising teacher from your current job if you want a fourth.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

We are asked for 3-5, but it is always better to have more that you can provide if asked. I concur about which letters to use for applications.