How Many Interviews....?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachingTy2010, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

How many interviews did you have to do before you got the job?

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2010

It took me five to get my first job, and six to get my second job. Several times I thought I had it, but I would be "2nd" on their shortlist.

From all the interviews I had I learned that no matter how on top of your game you are in the interview, sometimes it comes down to who would be the best fit in the school. I learned not to take it personally and simply try again, knowing the odds are in my favor the more opportunities I get.

4. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 1, 2010

it was 5 for me.

5. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jul 1, 2010

tomorrow will be #10 for me and still nothing :(

6. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

Well, I've been on 3 formal interviews and nothing for me either. I went to a job fair and talked to countless schools. I'm trying to line up an interview right now with a school and I'm hoping interview #4 will be it.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Well said!!!!

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

This season its been 7, I think today's was the one though.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

What part of NY are you in...its tough out there!

10. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

I had four interviews. Got two offers, which were interview 3 and 4. So maybe I got better with practice. :)

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 1, 2010

It took me 2 to get my first job.

12. supermissf

supermissf Rookie

Jul 1, 2010

It took me one to get my first job and three to get my second...feeling very fortunate too! :)

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 1, 2010

Last year it took me 13 interviews and I got better each time...I was actually very relaxed in my last interview and let my personality shine though.

So far this year...I've had 3 and tomorrow will be number 4...and hopefully final one! :)

14. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 1, 2010

I went on 4 interviews but got my job on the 3rd.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

I've always had incredible luck with interviews- I LIKE interviews and I tend to do well on them. If I can get the interview, I can normally get the job.

I also teach Math, which can be a much easier market than many other areas.

But you know what?? None of that matters. It's impossible to compare other people's results with your own because the situations are different. Hearing other people's success stories will make anyone who hasn't found that right job yet feel unsuccessful, and that's not the point.

It's like finding the man/woman of your dreams. For some people it happens in high school, others don't find true love for decades after.

Don't sweat other's success. Ask them WHY they think they had such success, and learn from their experience. But don't make yourself feel bad by comparing your situation with theirs; it's counterproductive.

16. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 2, 2010

It took me a year of looking. I applied for over a hundred positions and went on dozens of interviews. It got to the point where I stopped telling people I had interviews. Like Alice says though everyone is different. I was crawling back from a non-renewal and that can be the kiss of death in some areas.

17. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jul 2, 2010

long island

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

And I'm guessing you're elementary ed??

OK, so you're up against brutal odds. But you DO have AtoZ in your corner, so that should help your chances.

Let's start with the basics:
    You've applied to OLAS, right?https://www.pnwboces.org/teacherapplicationSSL/default.aspx?region=06http://www.longislandschools.com/Search.aspx?county=--Select+a+County&CountySearch=Go
    And to every single school, OLAS or not?
    And to the diocese of Rockville Centre? http://www.drvc.org/career-opportunities/careers-in-catholic-elementary-education-n-8-2.html
    And to all the non-Catholic religious schools? Friends Academy? The local Lutheran schools? The yeshivas? Every other private school you can find? http://www.longislandschools.com/long-island-private-schools.aspx

You've personalized your cover letters?
    Dropped off as many as possible, with the hopes of meeting the principals?
    Contacted the school where you student taught?

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2010

ten for my first teaching job. And five for my second.

20. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jul 2, 2010

alice, i have done all those things. i've also applied to many schools in the city. my problem isn't getting the interviews, i've been on 10 already. my main issue is doing well on them. 9 of the 10 i definitely did not get, i am waiting on one more where i felt i did really well. they said they would try to let me know this week but so far nothing.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

If you got 10 interviews in this economy, you must have a GREAT resume!!!

So you know you need to work on your interview skillls-- at least that narrows it down!

Take a look at the interview threads. Write down the questions on flash cards.

Then beg or bribe everyone you know to quiz you. You don't need canned answers that sound the same each time you give them, just something coherant that answers the question.

But first:
    You are elementary ed??

and:

WHY should they hire YOU instead of me?? (Well, aside from the fact that I have a job and don't want yours, and I'm probably not qualified for it anyway . :) ) Seriously: no buzzwords, just a simple answer: why should they hire you?

22. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Jul 2, 2010

I am in the same boat as you (LI, Gen Ed) But I do have sped in addition. If you had 10 interviews, then you are WAY ahead of the game. I have 2 years experience and only received 3 LI interviews. I did eventually get hired in NYC (queens), but it is not my "dream job". I am very open to the opportunity and actually welcome the challenge. I am extremely excited for Sept, but I do not want it to come too- i love summer.

Go in and drop off resumes in person. Many districts will not let you, but it is worth a shot. Apply everywhere. How far are you from NYC?

23. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

When I first started out (3 years ago), I went on 10 before I got a job. This summer I was trying to transfer schools. I just got hired at another school last Thursday. That took 8 interviews.

24. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Where in the city are you looking? And are you new, or looking to transfer? I just got hired in eastern Queens. Been on 8 interviews. It's my 3rd year teaching, so I was just looking for a transfer out of Jamaica, aka the hood.

I got ALL my interviews by emailing Principals all over Queens asking if they had vacancies, or saying I'm following up after applying on open market. Then I attached my resume. This was definitely more successful than hand-delivering resumes and applying on open market.

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

It took two to get my first job, and two to get my second job. My current job was the only one I interviewed for, but I still had my old job.

26. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 18, 2010

I got my job on the 3rd interview (got the call with the offer just 5-10 minutes after I left the building!).

In retrospect, I am very happy I didn't get the first two that I interviewed for... they weren't positions I really wanted, and was just settling because I knew I just needed the job. Luckily, I didn't get offers for either!

27. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I had I think 11 interviews for last school year and no offers, this year I am going on interview #9 tomorrow and no offers yet.

28. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

This year I got hired for the 7th position I interviewed for.

Last year I only had one interview and no job.

The previous year- 2 interviews and I was hired for the 2nd.

29. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

For each job offer, I've been on one or two interviews for that specific job. I haven't been job searching in 7 years, but I know that I went on at least 30-40 interviews in the 2 year period I was searching.

30. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I got hired at my fourth interview.

31. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2010

One for my first...

One for my second...

One for my third...

Two for my fourth... (One at the district level and one with the P)

Three interviews (3 different districts) for my last and got offered 2 out of the 3 jobs.

The thing that is misleading is that... It took me a while to GET that first interview with EACH of the positions I have had. So, it was not quite as easy as it looks! As a matter of fact, each and every time, it was downright scary because I have never done anything else and teaching has been my passion for as long as I can remember. :)

32. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

1 screening interview followed by 1 interview

33. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

Four interviews. No offers. Then a twist of events, my first interview gave me an offer after being rejected! I was offered a position teaching a different grade level at the school. You never know when a position may suddenly open!