How many interviews until you became an AP?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Johnjoel, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Jun 22, 2015

Hello Everyone,

I know that this topic is not a "one size fits all" issue, but I am curious how many interviews it took for admin on our site to become assistant principals. I have 6 years experience of teaching 3rd grade under my belt and earned my administrative certification last summer. I interviewed for AP at my elementary school last summer, but didn't make it to the 2nd round. My wedding was 3 days later, so I think my mind was a little preoccupied. I am very fortunate to have another opportunity to interview with my school this summer as the position is open again. I am prepared to do an excellent job, but the competition is tough as there are several other strong internal candidates applying for the position.

Please share your experience below if you are able to. Thank you!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 22, 2015

I interviewed after my 6th year in the classroom. Up until that point, I had only taught 2nd grade.

I did not get the position.

Someone from the panel contacted me and gave me a great piece of advice. He told me that the panel thought I needed experience in another grade level (preferably middle school) before I was given an AP role.

I took his input to heart and moved to middle school. I taught ELA to grades 6-8. Although I don't consider myself a middle school person, it was a priceless experience because I truly stepped out of my comfort zone!

That summer, I applied for an AP position that came up (someone retired last minute). This time, I was offered the job. I was able to talk about my experience at both elementary and middle school levels. Additionally, I was much more confident the second time around since I knew what to expect (question-wise, I mean).

4. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Jun 23, 2015

Thank you

Thanks! That is helpful. Sometimes I have to remind myself that even though I have some great experience (6 years in third), it isn't all that varied just yet. I was the team leader this year and that was a great experience. I tend to push myself and not want to be complacent, but sometimes you have to wait for the experience.