How many interviews before you landed...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MzQualified, Aug 4, 2009.

1. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

a job????????

I'm going on my fourth one since the summer and NOTHING yet...:eek:

3. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I've had five (one was a second interview at the same school) so far and no job yet.

4. AMB

AMB Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I finally got one my second job hunting season. (Well, technically I had a job the first job hunting season, but it was more like Plan C at an alternative private school, not teaching my subject.)

My first year, I had 5 building interviews, 1 screening interview, and finally was offered Plan C on my 7th interview which was not in any way related to any of the previous 6 interviews.

This year, I had 2 screening interviews, 3 building interviews (one building interview was at least a follow up from the screening interview), and I finally got it on my 4th building interview.

I suck at interviewing. :) But if I can do it, so can you! What ultimately helped me was getting called the morning a few hours before they interviewed me, I had no time to stress out or get crazy about it. I was 100x more relaxed and was able to let my personality shine through which is what sealed the deal, I think. (My mom had a class with someone that was on the interview committee from my first year job searching. The person remembered me and told my mom I was their second choice and they were going to offer it to me if the other person turned it down, but that the reason I wasn't #1 was because I was so tense and they were worried I wouldn't mesh well with their personalities!)

Hang in there!

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

Four, including the screening interviews, six!! I really don't count the phone interviews, they were like 5 minutes long and had nothing to do with what I wanted to do!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 5, 2009

I had either 5 or 6 before I got my job last summer. And I think I interview pretty well so I don't think bad interviews were necessarily the reasons why it took me a while. With a few I could tell I didn't click with the school, and with a few it was obvious they wanted more experience (I had ZERO experience in FACS, and just a 6 month LTS in 6th grade).

With two I thought I did fabulously and was rather upset to not be offered a job. But eventually I did get a job and as it turns out it's a school I love and I'm glad none of the other places offered me a job.

7. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

OHH That's so great to hear MsMar!!

Soooo what are the things that you all think that makes for a BAD interview????:unsure: Let's start a list.

I usually think I do pretty good..but obviously not good enough!

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

Including 3 interviews for a director of an after school program, I had a total of 6 interviews. Two were phone interviews for the director position. I was actually offered all the positions.

I feel I was very purposeful in my applying. I did not apply to the biggest district here, because I knew everyone else was and that they were on a hiring freeze. I had an interview at a smaller public district, a catholic school, and after school program, and a private school.

Also, I don't prepare for interviews beyond doing a little web research about the school. I don't practice interview questions. I just share my experiences and let my passion shine through. I never lie, and if I don't know something or I am not familiar with it, I say that (and offer a solution to my not knowing).

9. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I was offered a job on my fifth interview here in our home district. I also did 2 phone interviews with the same school in NC and JUST got that rejection today (2 weeks later).

10. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I had 4. They were at different schools and I got my job at the school I wanted to teach at. :)

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

I've had 4 in person interviews. 3 phone/screening interviews. Nothing yet.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

When I moved to the "Big City," I applied for 60 jobs. (I kept track because I was on unemployment, and they checked.) I got 30 interviews--I got very good at interviewing. Finally, after 3 months of job search, I was offered a job from the first interview. During that time, they had hired someone else, who did not work out.

13. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I had 3, but science positions are few and far between, so that was all there was available in our area (I also compete against a much smaller pool of people (like 30-40 vs the hundreds in Elem ed)

14. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Aug 5, 2009

My 5th school interview I was offered the contract.

But I had also had 2 job fair interviews.