How many interviews before you had a job offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Oregon Teacher, Jul 12, 2013.

1. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

I've had 2 interviews and no offers :( But that's cool, I can sub for a year and hope I get something longterm so I can add that to my resume! I just need more experience.

2. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2013

I went on SO many this year! Last year I went on one interview and was offered the job. This year I think my total was somewhere around 12-15. I kept being told that I was a "top candidate" but not the one being chosen. Then I was offered two jobs and I believe I would have been offered a third had I gone to the final interview (I decided to accept one of the other offers instead). The final interview for the 3rd school was just for me and one other candidate where we had to prepare an IEP based on data (one of my big strengths).

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

In the past, five plus years ago, I'd apply for a job and immediately get an interview and an offer (I teach a hard-to-fill subject, typically with few applicants).

This time around I have applied for five positions, got three interviews - one of which went to stage two and a demo - and no offers. The ones getting chosen are beginners.

Hopefully something else will turn up before the summer ends, but I think my local hiring season is probably done.

4. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

I probably had 20+ interviews during the 2 years I was searching before I got my job. I'm bad at interviews and needed a lot of practice!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2013

I've been offered a position after each interview (although one offer was delayed).

6. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Jul 14, 2013

3 years ago as a hopeful elem teacher: 7 teaching interviews, no offers, and 2 SPED associate interviews, no offers.

2 years ago, I interviewed for 1 SPED associate position and nailed it.

This year, with a graduate degree in SPED: 5 interviews (all were in May). I was offered the positon of the 5th school I met with right after the interview and accepted it after considering it over the weekend. After accepting my new position, I've had to turn down 1 other job offer and 3 more interviews.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 14, 2013

I've been extremely lucky when moving to new areas.

8. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jul 15, 2013

In the past, 5-6 interviews...2 job offers

Recently 1 interview and was offered the job the next day.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2013

Last year before I had my certification, I interviewed with 3 schools and would have been offered a position at my 3rd interview, but she decided to go with someone who already had their certification. This year I've been on 3 interviews and was hired on the spot during the 3rd. This is not for teaching but as an educational diagnostician. It was much harder when I was looking for teaching jobs!

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 15, 2013

For this job, it was my only interview, but it was a school I hand-picked and didn't really NEED to leave my current school.

Prior to that, I went on two interviews for my previous job, and for my first teaching job, it was something like 4 or 5.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 15, 2013

I have been told the same thing for both interviews I've been on this year. Glowing praise about how fantastic I am, how great my demo was, how much they loved me...but no offer. I know that one of the jobs went to a sub. A friend in the town where the other school is told me that it went to a "Townie".

It's alright. Sorta. At least I know I am doing well and I feel that if I could just increase the number of positions I apply for, I would get something!

Congrats on finding a job!

12. chemistrynerd

chemistrynerd Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I graduated in 2012, and I went on 4 interviews last year and was granted three positions (in math), though the one I accepted was in a rural area that was a temp position (since I was getting married and moving). This year, I went on one interview and got the position (in chemistry) and it's full-time in an area that my husband and I are excited to settle down in. I think it was easier since I was dual certified in math and science in harder to fill subjects.

13. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2013

I just graduated in May, have submitted at least 250 resumes/applications online and via mail, got 12 interviews, and no job offers. I had one school call me back the same day I interviewed and asked if I was willing to take a certain salary. I said I was, and they said they were working on a contract for me and would set up a time for me to accept the job offer and then I never heard anything from them again, even after I followed up via email and phone. :unsure:

I figure I'm going to have to probably substitute, because I have no experience. I do get really positive feedback on my interviews though, so I'm sure my lack of a job offer is from my lack of experience.

I have two more interviews tomorrow. So I'm hoping those go well.

14. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 17, 2013

And it's tough to get experience if no one will give you a chance!!

I've had at least a couple of dozen interviews and still no offers. I graduated in May, 2012, had an interim in the fall and hoped that would help me for this year. There's still a couple of weeks before school starts here, so there is a chance!

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2013

6 years ago I went on one interview and was told I had my choice of grade levels. I choose kindergarten. Then I got non re-elected after 2 years along with 20 others and they never refilled the positions so yeah. Then for this job I went on two interviews after sending out 20+ resumes. The first after a demo lesson went to the superintendents daughter, haha, and the second I got hired out of over 600 applicants I was told. Then in March I got laid off but thanks to a new educational heavy state budget I and 24 more got our jobs back! Horray!