How many hours a week?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Taliesin, Oct 12, 2007.

?

How many hours a week?

1. Less than 40 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 40-50 hours

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 51-60 hours

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  4. More than 60 hours

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Oct 12, 2007

How many hours a week do you put into your job? What grade do you teach? and How many years have you been teaching??

For those that have been teaching longer: Did you see the amount of time you put into your classroom drop significantly each year or does it stay about the same?

Do you prefer to plan for a large amount of time all at once or do you do a little each day?

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 13, 2007

This is year 12 for me, but I changed from h.s. to primary half way through. I prefer prepping one week at a time and having everything in order and ready to go, at my fingertips, before Monday morning. However, so far this year I have been going day to day which really stresses me out. I am missing out on some of the special things I usually do because I am not planning ahead.

That said, I MUST leave room to be spontaneous because some of my best ideas come to me on the spot.

My hardest year was my first year teaching first grade. I worked late every day and worked every weekend day. The next year I did the same, with Sundays off. The 3rd year I had enough prep time at school, with some evening work, to not work most weekends!! Then I got a curve ball with a difficult class and was back to working most weekends. This year I have so far taken off 2 Sundays and 1 Saturday. But I think it is because my after school hours are so crammed that I am not able to plan well day to day. I usually end up doing cleaning/organizing on the weekend, instead of planning, which puts me behind for the week.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Oct 13, 2007

51-60 hours (depends on the week, but it falls into this range)
    I teach 2nd grade.

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

I teach first grade. This is my second year of teaching. I spend a lot less this year than last year working. I still work 7 days a week but Monday- Thursday are pretty much all waking hours working on something. Friday I just spend 2 hours before school and 2 hours after school working. Saturday and Sunday are just about 2-3 hours each day. Those days are more planning long term. It seems much more manageable this year but I am always working at being more organized so that I have to spend a lot less time.

I still LOVE my job, so I don't mind the time that I spend. I guess I even count this forum as work! LOL Many people have terrific ideas that I read about and try to implement.

The more organized I am the more I accomplish in less time. :)

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 13, 2007

I would say 51-60. This is my second year teaching fifth grade. To be honest, I am always doing something teacher related.
    I enjoy myself though, so it's not really work.

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 13, 2007

60 or more. This is my first year in elementary but I've spent 3. Years teaching middle school as well. I also only get 30 minutes a day for planning and have to eat with my students.

8. 6SinTeaching

6SinTeaching Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

51-60 hours. I've been teaching for 18 years. I'm teaching grade 3 for the first time in 12 years (although I spent the same amount of hours in the past no matter how long I've taught the grade). I usually spend time doing something related to education everyday after school. I enjoy change and staying current.

9. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 13, 2007

This is my 5th year teaching (3rd year in 2nd, I've taught 4th/5th split and 1st). I spend a lot less time this year because I know our curriculum and I have the state standards pretty much memorized! Most of my time is spent doing things for my team, I'm the team leader of 6 needy people! I get to work an hour early and leave as soon as I'm allowed, after the kids leave I'm brain dead. I learned to use my parents last year, I only correct writing assignments and tests!

Oh, and I work 41-50 hrs. a week!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007