How many hours a week do you spend here & what's your main purpose?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 24, 2008

I was shocked when I estimated my weekly time to be about 6-7 hours, some weeks more, some less. I wake up early early a.m. so I can come and check out what was posted the night before.

There are some individual thread starters that I simply never miss because I always thoroughly enjoy what they've got new going on in their room and they're so sweet to share.

I always try to keep up with those who are suffering because I feel they need compassion and comfort.

I have a friend who is a member of a sports forum and it keeps up with the hours logged in and states, "You have wasted 679 hours of your life here." I suppose I should worry more about the dust in the corner of my living room but, I'll worry about it tomorrow.

My main purpose is for the camaraderie, support, and finding new ideas. I know it's not a waste of time.

3. Luv2Learn

Luv2Learn Companion

Oct 24, 2008

Well, I only joined within the last month, but I have been on it A LOT!

My main purpose is to get a feel of this profession and what teachers are facing in their professional lives. Since I've decided to take the plunge, I'll be starting WGU shortly for Math 5-12. I do look for many of the posts related to math and find myself looking for posts from Alicecc.

Do I feel like I am wasting time? No not really...yes, I could probably be doing a few more things, and I know when I get into my course work, I'll have to cut down, but I feel that I have received a lot of good information and when some information (i.e. websites) is provided that will help me make a better teacher.

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

I am on a ton as well. I have no many hours I actually spend on here because I am always logged in, even if I am not at my computer, it is normally just a quick check of something here or there.

Sometimes I'm browsing posts, asking for advice or just taking a much needed break during my prep, it depends on the day I guess.

5. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Oct 24, 2008

I would say I'm on here for a solid hour each day, if not more. I come to learn as much as I can about the profession, possible challenges I could face, the joys I will come to know, share my own stories, and enjoy the camaraderie of all of you! I, too, have a small group of members whose posts I am always eager to read. I defnitely don't feel like I'm wasting my time, because IMO life is all about making connections, building relationships, and learning something each day. Not to say that I don't get those things in plenty of other places, but I get a little bit of all of that here too.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 24, 2008

I spend a lot of time on here as well, but I hardly ever feel like it's time wasted.

Mostly I'm on here to get ideas, support, hear what it's like for other teachers in my grade, and sometimes to ask silly questions in the Time Out board.

7. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Probably 5 hours a week for me. It's therapeutical! There are so many tidbits that I collect when I browse the site, such as the comment that someone made the other day when trying to get her students away from her private life: "I know my life is so interesting, but it has nothing to do with this class right now."

These are valuable weapons that go into the arsenal :D

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Well I notice I am here about 4-5 hours a week total. Sometimes I browse, sometimes I post, sometimes I simply read.

I am here to gain an understanding of the teaching world, to express my views, and to share with others on topics that interests me. Sometimes I am here to browse for lesson plans ideas and behavior management techniques.

9. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 24, 2008

I check in daily. I mostly read and respond to the posts I feel I can be of help. The weekends are usually a little more. But I think total is maybe 3 hours a week.

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

If I'm near a computer, I have a tab open. That probably adds up to 10 or more hours a day, but I'm not always browsing when I have a tab open. Honestly, I don't know how much time I'm actively logged in.

I come here for ideas, support, and to keep up with nationwide trends. I think it's mostly for ideas.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

I've been checking in daily; I thought I wouldn't be on here during the school year...but viola! Here I am again! :D
    Yes, I spend alot of time here, but I love it! I've gotten alot of great advice and much needed support; and you all have some great school tips too!
    :love:

PS - it helps knowing that others are pretty much going through what you may be going through too.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 24, 2008

I agree that it is therapeutic. I can vent, learn, go off on tangents, etc. It is both recreational and informative. Mostly I post and respond but sometimes I look for something specific that fits my current needs that day. I almost always look here for the answer first.

I spend probably 15 hours a week on here. I do it while I'm on the computer doing college work, making activities, etc.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, that too.

I forgot to add...I think the community here is wonderful. I know that no matter what is going on, there's somebody here who's "been there", and can help me see through the mess. I've made a lot of "friedns" here, and I can't imagine trying to teach without you guys in the wings.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2008

I'm sure I am on here way to much!! But I don't think its a waste. My main purpose is to keep my sanity! Knowing there are people out there that are having the same difficulties as I am, and I'm not alone makes coming here worth it. I also find myself searching out posts by specific people, mainly because they always give such great advice on everything. :)

:atoz_love:

15. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

I'm on here pretty much everyday at least for an hour since I learn so much on here! It's a great way to learn and share ideas with so many teachers. During the school day, I'm mainly teaching my students and don't have the time to just talk and talk about these kinds of topics that are on here!:lol:

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

I spend a lot of time on here; probably about ten hours a week during the school year and more time during vacations. Mainly, I come here to read and to see that other people are going through the same things as me. I get so many ideas from here and try to post whenever I can add something.

17. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Oct 24, 2008

I try to pop in at least once a day..sometimes more so in the evenings. I think its a good place to learn new things, find out I'm not alone in the mistakes I make as a new teacher. Its nice to have 'others' that know what it feels like with certain kids, parents, and administrations.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

I leave the computer on with this open in a tab almost all the time! Like a few hours ago, I ran to Lowe's and my computer still had this up. So, it looks like I am on here for hours per day! But, if I add up the time I am actually on here, maybe 3-5 hours a week.
    I am an hour away from school (and therefore am an hour away from coworkers). I am 12 hours from family. So, I get bored and get on here. I also often seek advice! I try to occassionally give advice, too, but I don't have a lot of answers. Yet.(?)

19. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

I'm on two or three times a day, sometimes more. A lot of times during the school day, I find myself thinking, "I'm going to post about that later; maybe someone will have an idea." And someone usually does. There is so much talent and inspiration here and people are so willing to share ideas and support.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

Friends to chat with now that it's only me and my husband and he goes to bed at 8:00 every night!

21. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 24, 2008

Despite my somewhat abrassive personality online, I am here because I get some incredible ideas from the other teachers here. I don't even want to think about how much time I spend here, because its A LOT.

22. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 24, 2008

I seem to have to get on here at least once a day.

I get a sense that people on this site seem to be very passionate about teaching. I admire that. Not all of my co-workers at school, although I like them, are that way.

I really enjoy seeing that we are all connected through the same types of frustrations and the same joys.

I find it a nice way to wind down the day, so I have a tendency to get on here right before I go to bed. It's that last "Good night" I give to what I'm beginning to think of as a family.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2008

How many hours? Oh I say about an hour to two each day

What is my purpose? I have no clue :D. I have nothing else better to do I guess. Haha. It's just fun to spend some time on here and research, share ideas, get knew ideas (even if I'm not looking for anything in particular), vent, share funny videos or pictures, etc.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2008

I'm definitely on sometime during each day of the wk, definitely more than once & I'm on for over 30 min at a time, so that's 7+ hrs a wk for sure.

I'm a member of several other boards (non-teaching), but I'm on this one the most. I just like the topics on here & I feel like I belong.

25. KayakSue

KayakSue Rookie

Oct 25, 2008

Just joined...looking for advice etc. so how can that be wasting time. I enjoy reading comments from others in my field. Thank you!

26. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Oct 25, 2008

I do come on often to get advice and get great ideas from other professionals! I think that aspect makes my time on this board a fulfilling use of my time. I was a member of another chat board and I realized that I was spending way too much time there and not working on my real life friendships. I also started to wonder how many of the women who were on could possibly be spending any time with their husbands or children as they were on the board morning, noon, and night :eek:

27. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2008

I am probably on here for at least an hour a day on the days that I'm not out at night...but like others have said, many times I'm doing other things and have this site open. I love hearing what is happening in other classrooms all over the country- the good and the bad, I think it helps to make me a better teacher. Like someone else said, it's therapeutic! :)

28. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 25, 2008

I check in often, and am usually here for about an hour a day, unless I am looking for something specific. I lurk, read, take notes, and admire.

I'm here for sanity, comfort in knowing that I am not the only lost one at times, comfort in knowing that others have been there and survived and came back for more, and to offer whatever teeny tiny bit of advice I might can in a pay it forward kind of way. There are also a couple of posters (aliceac, rainstorm, nana, dave, Mrs. I, Jaz, Jem and many others) that I feel offer so much every time they post, that I hate to miss anything. I've learned SO much from here that I think it should be called AtoZ University! Plus, coming here makes me realize how lucky I am to have a job, that the grass isn't always greener, and it could always be worse!

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2008

I'm probably on for more than an hour a day--more some days than others. For me, this is a safe, supportive community--safer and more supportive than where I am physically sometimes. I value the professional learning, the sense of community, the compassion, the friendships. I look forward to and treasure the advice so many here freely give; I grieve and celebrate along with you. This is a remarkable place.

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

I barely every visit A to Z...at least that is what I tell DH.

I was on a ton before school started. Not as much now. I come here for all sorts of things.

I love A to Z and my A to Z friends:)

31. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 25, 2008

I pop in almost daily. I've got tons of tabs open all the time. Some days, I may only check to see if there are any interesting new threads. Other days, I might spend an hour. I'd estimate my weekly average to be about 3 hours.

I like to come here to relax, to hear others' successes and frustrations, and to try to help when I can. It's a way to blow off steam without bugging my real-life colleagues!

32. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I go in spurts on here. Lately I have fallen behind in college coursework so have not been on much at all.

I come on here a bunch of reasons; support and friendship, to relax, and for imformation. A to Z and the posters on here have helped me through a lot and never let me down. I love the site.:wub:

33. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I check in daily. I love to catch up on the posts. I check the forum sometimes before I check my mail. I don't get on during the school day though because I seldom have more than a 30 minute break all day. But this is where I come to relax, I get a diet pepsi and sit back and read.

I love this site too!

34. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I've lurked for several years off and on reading and learning from all of you. This summer I needed some specific ideas and made the plunge to join. I don't always get to pop in everyday, but sometimes I'm on for several hours in the evenings or weekends.

This year I don't get to spend much time with the other teachers at my school. I got the "leftover" schedule for Pre-K and don't even eat lunch at the same time as other teachers. You guys are there for me to vent, learn, share, laugh, and cry with. I love that there are other teachers who are as passionate about teaching as I am. You are amazing!! THANKS!!:atoz_love:

35. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 26, 2008

I also "check in" at least once a day, sometimes more - especially if there's a particularly helpful thread going and I want to see the ideas people responded with - maybe a total of 8 hours a week (OK, that sounds like a lot now that I calculate it). I can't even tell you how many ideas I have gleaned on this site - things I never would have heard anywhere else - I wish I could count it as professional development hours.

This site has also saved my sanity more than once. I have people at work I can talk with, but none that I can trust with the venting stuff!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2008

Waaay too much time. Normally from about 5:20- 6 am and some time in the evening. There's not a chance in the world that I would be on while at school.

I go on to chat with some teachers, and to learn from others, particularly TeacherGroupie and Mamacita. :)

37. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 26, 2008

I am usually on here every afternoon after I come home from work. If I had the time to at school you could find me on here, but generally I am not.