How many first year teachers do we have this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

I'm entering my 3rd year, and I can't believe how time has flown by!! I'm wondering how many of y'all are first year. I'm sure you've introduced yourselves or announced your new position on AtoZ somewhere, but I thought a fresh thread would be interesting...

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2010

Moi...I am raising my hand. First year teacher after fourteen years of subbing and doing special reading and enrichment programs. Starting with a 4/5 combo. I am truly blessed to have found a job.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 15, 2010

After 14 years of subbing I'd say you're ready!!!!!! ;)

5. newtoclass

newtoclass Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I'm a first year teacher. I will be teaching special ed resource for k-2.

6. Teach'em

Teach'em Companion

Aug 15, 2010

MMMEEEEE!!!!! Right out of college. I'm super excited and super nervous. School starts Wednesday!

7. willowsangel

willowsangel Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

First year here too. :) And ditto to the nervousness factor.

8. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 15, 2010

I am first year. I have spent time subbing, both long term and regular, and as a para. I take off on Thursday for Abu Dhabi and my orientation will start on Monday I believe, to give everyone arriving time to adjust to the time change, even though the work week is Sunday- Thursday. It will certainly be a learning experience!

9. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I'm a first year teacher! I just graduated in May. Very, very nervous.

10. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 15, 2010

I'm a first year! I'm doing a long term leave replacement in HS English until January... then hopefully I'll be a FULL-TIME first year next fall!

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 16, 2010

I'm a first time teacher as well. I will be teaching 6th grade math. It is only a part-time position, but I have hopes that might change. Either way, it's a foot in the door. :)

12. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

How did you obtain your teaching position in Abu Dhabi? I watched an episode of House Hunter's International with a Canadian who was going to teach at an international school in Dubai. Best wishes to you.

13. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks! I think that episode was actually in Abu Dhabi. I know it was floating around on some of the boards for teaching in AD. The architecture there is amazing, and everything is very, very new.
    I decided a few months ago I wanted to teach abroad, so I put my name out on a bunch of teach abroad websites. Then I started to look for postings in other places. I don't know if anyone is on SchoolSpring, but this job has been posted on there in my area forever. I always said "no way, I'm not going to the Middle East." I was offered a position in the Dominican Republic, but before committing to it, I decided I should check out another area. So, I remembered the Abu Dhabi jobs that I had seen everywhere and looked it up. It looked FABULOUS... so I applied through a recruiting agency (only way to apply) and it happened very fast. Online application, phone interview, and train to NY for an in-person interview. 2 days later I was offered that position. They are reforming their education system, and bringing in I think it is ending up being about 850 native English speaking teachers. So, there is a huge support group. The first group flew this weekend, so I am reading all of their updates to see how it is going over there. So far, they love it! Good news. It's weird, I know I am moving halfway around the world on Thursday, it just doesn't totally seem real yet.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

Where are you from Sandy? How do your parents feel? It sounds like such a neat experience. I wish I had done that way back when. Now I'm to rooted. I bet when or if you decide to come back you will easily find a job after your experience over there.

15. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 16, 2010

I live in CT now. My mom is excited and it is growing on my dad. He likes the country, just not where it is. I was nervous about where it is, too, but it really is one of the safest places there is. They were very honest in the phone interview and just said that if you get out of line, they will deport you. I have heard that over and over. I am trying to be very careful packing, because if you bring in the wrong medication, you can either be arrested or deported. If you like to drink alcohol, you have to be very careful not to drive after even one sip- arrested and/or deported if you get caught. I met someone who went last year, and she said she feels safe walking alone all the time. So they do take safety seriously.
    I think it will be easier to go away because I did go away for college as opposed to living home like my brother and sister are. A lot of people say it is a kind of similar experience because there are so many people around going through the same thing, just in a different culture and you have to follow their rules. Like right now it is Ramadan, so no food in public during the day (arrest/fine). I am really glad that I am going. I didn't want to regret not doing it. The contract is for two years, with the option to re-sign. So I will see how things are going there and here at that point and make a decision on whether to stay or come back. If I absolutely hate it, or they hate me, the first year is probationary and I can leave at any time. The second year, must give two months notice. I figure by the second year most of us will know if we are adjusted to the culture, so that shouldn't be an issue unless of a family emergency or something. My mom and a couple of cousins and friends can't wait to visit. It's not my dad's thing.. he says if he can't drive his camper there, he's not going. :lol:

16. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

That's exciting Sandy.

Enjoy your time there! Just remember to respect their customs, learn their laws, and be very cautious of everyone - friendly or not.

They're very stringent on medications there, so make sure anything you need/have is acceptable. And don't show skin! Dress very conservative.

Good luck.

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010

Congrats and good luck to all the first years. Enjoy it - it goes by fast. I can't believe this is my 9th year. That means next year is 10 years. Holy cow!

18. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Pete- I have looked over the list of restricted medications about a million times, and gotten dr. notes even though I don't have anything on the list. I'm pretty sure I'm good to go.

When I am in school, I have to cover- long skirt, long sleeves, and collar bone covered. I do not have to cover my head. Some principals may let us wear loose fitting pants, but that will depend on the school we are placed in. But when I am out of school, I can wear my regular clothes. I won't be wearing my shorts in public, but capris and t-shirts are fine and expected of westerners to be worn. Which is good, because it gets up to about 130 degrees right now!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

Sounds exciting Sandy!

I'm on yr 5 of having my own classroom, yr 12 of working full time in schools. Before becoming full time I worked part time for four years (subbing when home from college). And I volunteered my senior yr in hs every day from 11:00 to 3:00 in a kindergarten class.

20. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

This is my first year! I just graduated college in May. I'll be teaching high school journalism, newspaper and yearbook -- the kids start on the 23rd!

21. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

This is my first year too!

I've never subbed a day in my life, and I just have 40 hours of classroom experience through my student teaching ...

... oh wait, I should be posting this is the prayer forum :lol:

22. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 16, 2010

This is my first year too! I'll be teaching first grade...our first orientation day is Wednesday!!

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 16, 2010

I loved my 1st year teaching. This will be my second year. :)

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

I am a teacher resident this year co-teaching in someone's room. Basically I am spending the year learning the ropes, and then I get my Own room next year. So it's not official until 2011/2012. :) But I'm having a lot of fun!