How many field trips do you go on per year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 2, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I've found so many great field trips for local history - that's our social studies unit this year. Plus I want to do a get-to-know-you trip and a big simulation trip.

- September - Camping overnight
    - Spread throughout the year for Social Studies:
    - Three different local historical museum field trips
    - Science (insects) in-class field trip
    - Three art center field trips
    - May - Pioneer Simulation Overnight (or two)

That's NINE field trips in ten months. How many/what kind do you take?

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

none. :(

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

We're allowed 2 but we usually sneak in 4.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

Wow - I have never heard of a class going on that many trips. Here they are lucky for 1 or 2 and in this budget cycle there won't be any money for transportation, etc. Are you in a private school? We would never have the money for that and we are discouraged from asking parents for too much money.

I might have done an overnight early in my career, but I am older and risk adverse. Too much to lose...

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

We are allowed 1 field trip a year.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I'm in a public lottery school where we do a lot of project based learning. Hands-on field work is encouraged. They don't tell us a certain number of trips are allowed. I do ask the parents for money. I try to have the trips all scheduled by Back to School Night so I can get checks and have all the permission slips signed on the spot. The parents also do the driving and chaperone the trips. Oh, and we walk to the Art Center. I also get classroom money from the PTA which I use if any students can't pay. The trips, except for the overnights, are between $2 - $7 per kid. One is free.

I'm sorry to hear all the limits (esp. none!).

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

One.

Sad, when I consider that when my son was in elementary school, his class went on four or five field trips each year.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

With my 5th graders, we took 2 or 3 real trips, and then maybe 2 to the middle school to see concerts and tour the school. It's funny that this thread came up now, because just today I was trying to plan our trips for this year's bunch of 4th graders. I was thinking of trying to plan 2 definite cheap ones that we can take on school buses, and then a third bigger one, contingent on whether or not we can get a grant.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

1 or 2. We have 1 required field trip where we have to take a community walk. Usually we try to get 1 other in that is science related.

11. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I teach K and we try to take as many as possible though they are all local and don't cost very much. Last year during testing when we had to be so quiet for the other grades, we took community helper field trips. We toured the hospital and nursing home, police station/city hall, courthouse, and the local library helped us make a day of activities there. The children brought sack lunches and it only cost like $3 per child to pay for the bus.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

The only field trips we take now are the required trips for our science program. (2). They are working field trips, not just pleasure field trips. Our district no longer provides free field trips, so if we plan one, we have to have the students pay for the trip.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

We plan one per month (every grade level in our school is required to). The students are required to pay for the buses plus whatever entrance fee; it hard to collect with the economy and everything - twice last year we brought the field trip to us and had a puppet show and interactive theater come to our school stage, that way no bus fee. I wish we didn't have to go on so many, I just think it gets so expensive for these parents who have 3 or more kids at our school.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

Usually one per term (3 per year). However, we do need to be very aware of how much money we are asking parents for (limit of about $75/year), so if we have in-school performances, etc. we may need to cut back on out-of-school trips.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I plan at least 1 trip per month. We have a field trip fee that the parents are charged, but I am often over that and my director has never said no. The last two years I have even asked parents to contribute another $50 for an especially big trip at the end of the year and they have all agreed.

This year's class (some of the parents) are already talking about another "special" trip at the beginning of the year that I would like to do.

16. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

We are only allowed to do 2 unless the county approves an extra one (usually a play at the local university-very good!!!). I wish we could do more, but I understand that money is an issue.