How many field trips do you go on per year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 2, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I've found so many great field trips for local history - that's our social studies unit this year. Plus I want to do a get-to-know-you trip and a big simulation trip.

- September - Camping overnight
    - Spread throughout the year for Social Studies:
    - Three different local historical museum field trips
    - Science (insects) in-class field trip
    - Three art center field trips
    - May - Pioneer Simulation Overnight (or two)

That's NINE field trips in ten months. How many/what kind do you take?

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 2, 2009

none. :(

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

We're allowed 2 but we usually sneak in 4.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

Wow - I have never heard of a class going on that many trips. Here they are lucky for 1 or 2 and in this budget cycle there won't be any money for transportation, etc. Are you in a private school? We would never have the money for that and we are discouraged from asking parents for too much money.

I might have done an overnight early in my career, but I am older and risk adverse. Too much to lose...

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

We are allowed 1 field trip a year.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

I'm in a public lottery school where we do a lot of project based learning. Hands-on field work is encouraged. They don't tell us a certain number of trips are allowed. I do ask the parents for money. I try to have the trips all scheduled by Back to School Night so I can get checks and have all the permission slips signed on the spot. The parents also do the driving and chaperone the trips. Oh, and we walk to the Art Center. I also get classroom money from the PTA which I use if any students can't pay. The trips, except for the overnights, are between $2 - $7 per kid. One is free.

I'm sorry to hear all the limits (esp. none!).

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2009

One.

Sad, when I consider that when my son was in elementary school, his class went on four or five field trips each year.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

With my 5th graders, we took 2 or 3 real trips, and then maybe 2 to the middle school to see concerts and tour the school. It's funny that this thread came up now, because just today I was trying to plan our trips for this year's bunch of 4th graders. I was thinking of trying to plan 2 definite cheap ones that we can take on school buses, and then a third bigger one, contingent on whether or not we can get a grant.

10. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

1 or 2. We have 1 required field trip where we have to take a community walk. Usually we try to get 1 other in that is science related.

11. wcvetwife

wcvetwife Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I teach K and we try to take as many as possible though they are all local and don't cost very much. Last year during testing when we had to be so quiet for the other grades, we took community helper field trips. We toured the hospital and nursing home, police station/city hall, courthouse, and the local library helped us make a day of activities there. The children brought sack lunches and it only cost like $3 per child to pay for the bus.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

The only field trips we take now are the required trips for our science program. (2). They are working field trips, not just pleasure field trips. Our district no longer provides free field trips, so if we plan one, we have to have the students pay for the trip.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

We plan one per month (every grade level in our school is required to). The students are required to pay for the buses plus whatever entrance fee; it hard to collect with the economy and everything - twice last year we brought the field trip to us and had a puppet show and interactive theater come to our school stage, that way no bus fee. I wish we didn't have to go on so many, I just think it gets so expensive for these parents who have 3 or more kids at our school.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2009

Usually one per term (3 per year). However, we do need to be very aware of how much money we are asking parents for (limit of about $75/year), so if we have in-school performances, etc. we may need to cut back on out-of-school trips.

15. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

I plan at least 1 trip per month. We have a field trip fee that the parents are charged, but I am often over that and my director has never said no. The last two years I have even asked parents to contribute another $50 for an especially big trip at the end of the year and they have all agreed.

This year's class (some of the parents) are already talking about another "special" trip at the beginning of the year that I would like to do.

16. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

We are only allowed to do 2 unless the county approves an extra one (usually a play at the local university-very good!!!). I wish we could do more, but I understand that money is an issue.

17. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Last year we only did 2, we usually try and do 3. The cost of busing has gone up so it is difficult.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

Due to the economy, the principal asked us to be extremely cautious about asking parents for money for anything this year and to be very conservative about what we want them to purchase. She is radically cutting field trips or approval of anything that costs money or involves travel. They aren't paying for conferences and don't even want us to go even if we pay for them ourselves because they don't want it to look like the school district has enough money to send people to go to conferences or expensive field trips.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 3, 2009

We have 2 official bus field trips, one to the zoo and one to the district's Outdoor Learning Center. We also walk to the fire station, have an egg hunt in the park (behind the school - a 5 minute walk), and sometimes walk to the post office (depends on how the egg hunt falls in the year). We also have bubble day which is at the school but is such a fun day that it might as well be a field - this is the day that grades 3-5 go the wave pool to celebrate their hard work on state testing.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

too many :|:crosseyed:dizzy:

No one warned me how exhausting they are as a teacher!
    We do 2 field trips to our district's learning center that are hands on science stuff. We do a big 5th grade trip based on our school's theme. We go to the symphony. We go to the theater to see a Shakespeare play that goes way over their heads :| We usually go to 'education day' and watch our local A baseball team. It seems like I may be missing one (or even 2). The educational ones are fine- the big 5th grade trip and the baseball game are exhausting. The theater trip is plain annoying because they can't hear and what they do hear they don't understand- yet they have to sit still while dressed up and stay quiet as well.

I listed 6 but I still think I forgot something.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

What a wide range!

I forgot about theatre... I like to take the class to see a play or two. I have not yet taken them to the symphony, but I did go as a parent in my daughter's class. The teachers were exhausted keeping track of the kids in the crowds.

22. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Due to the economy and price of fuel, we will only be allowed 1.

23. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

We only get one and it is to the local historical society in town!

24. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 3, 2009

We have a limit of two, but the standard is one field trip per year.

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 3, 2009

We got by with an extra "field trip" by having it: optional, at night, as a family event, paid for by the families (though we were able to get a discount for th students AND family members---IF we could have a minimum commit to coming before hand. SHEEESH!).

We went to see the film "Horton hears a Who" after reading it in school first, discussing friendship, having a writing assignment about when someone did something outstanding for ME (SO sad when some kids-who you KNEW had things done for them...at least by mom and dad...couldn't think of anything anyone ever did for them. We would say-after a while and when completely exasperated- did mom or dad ever take care of you when you were ill? Did they ever bring you something to drink when you throat was sore? etc. Brother!) The next day we did a Venn diagram discussing the difference between the book and the movie.

We had about 90% attendance.

26. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

Due to budget constraints, we can't go on any field trips this year unless we write a grant and receive payment that way. We can't ask parents for any money and we have to pay the bus driver $50 per hour(plus $150 to use the bus). We are not allowed to have any field trips before standardized testing, regardless. P says it takes too much instructional time away.(read :cramming to the test). I do take a free walking field trip to the park with my class at the end of the year. All the parents and families are invited and we play and picnic all day.

27. minnie

minnie Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

Our school is very fortunate to be able to still go on fieldtrips. Since I am a kindergarten teacher, I only take local trips where the longest bus ride is 45 minutes. We go to the local firestation and post office. Also, we go to the county fair, the pumpkin patch, the local zoo, oral language festival, the county museum, Greg and Steve concert (children singers, like Dr. Jean), plays that are performed by theatre groups, end of the year good behavior fieldtrip.

Parents are always invited, but they have to pay their own way. We are a very small school and we are the only school in our district, so we are very blessed to be able to go!

28. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2009

We go on one grade level field trip and two school wide field trips.

29. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2009

A SIMULATION?! And CAMPING?!?!!! Which grade do you teach? :) I love it! I bet we could never go camping, though.

My students and I take 4-6 trips a year. All but one are cheap/free and small. Last December, we went to City Hall to decorate the Christmas tree with Book Buddies in kindergarten. We do this every year, this year included, I'm sure. This past February, we trekked over to the Environmental Center and went on a nature walk by the river. All fourth graders in the county do this. We are doing this again, too, of course. Also in February, we went to the local park as a reward for putting forth diligent effort with the Florida Writes. We had hot dogs and played on the playground for 2-3 hours. In March, 3rd, 4th, and then 5th (on different days) went to the skating rink for exerting great effort on the FCAT math and reading tests. Last, this past May 9th, we headed to St. Augustine, leaving our school at 7:30 a.m. and getting back at 10:45 p.m. It was a 2 1/2 hour trip, and we went to the lighthouse, park across from the lighthouse, the Castillo de San Marcos, and Ripley's Believe it or Not. We also took a trolley tour through the city. It was on a Saturday. For that trip, which I have taken all five years, I have gotten a charter bus and didn't use ANY county funds.

In class, though, we go "camping" for the day, but it's at school. It takes place the last week of school or the end of the second to last week.

This next year, I'd also love to plan a few community service field trips and perhaps one on a Saturday to the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, which has free admission. It may work out, it may not, but I am grateful we get to go on field trips. I think they are very much an important part of education and are very memorable for the kids.

30. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Aug 5, 2009

Two, but we had to cancel ours last May due to swine flu scare of having children in populated places. argghhh. I wonder what our district will be doing about that when we come back this fall.

31. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

We don't have any limits, but I only take the kids on 1. We do have 3 other 'on campus' field trips during the year.

I used to do more, but I they became too expensive...

32. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 5, 2009

I'm fascinated with the camping overnight and the pioneer simulation, where do you go, do you sleep in tents or cabins?

I do about 8 to 10...

Pumpkin Patch
    The Nutcracker Ballet
    Generally 3 plays in town
    2 chess tourneys
    Railroad Museum
    Nature Center
    This year I'm adding the Pharaoh exhibit

33. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2009

One in-county (not that there's much here...), one out-of-county. That policy was put in place by the public school board, and since they let us use their buses we have to follow it. It's frustrating, though, because we've even had grandparents, friends of the school, etc. who have volunteered to pay for fuel and other bus costs so classes can go on more.

34. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

we take one trip per year, we do not have busses, so the trips are usually close to 20 dollars, so it is just too expensive.

35. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 6, 2009

I think this year we went to:
    library - free
    play - $3
    2 factories - $1 each
    picnic at park - free, potluck
    bowling - $5
    visit pen pals - free
    farmer's market - free
    nature area - $3

Parents do pay for the trips - I try to keep it below $5. We don't have to pay for our buses.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2009

For those of you who don't have to pay for buses, where do the funds for the buses come from?

37. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

Good question, MrsC. Busses cost a fortune!

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2009

That's why I wonder how this cost is covered. Even using a school bus (which is what we use unless it is an overnight, far away) adds at least $7/student to the cost of the trip--sometimes much more than that.

39. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2009

I'll be teaching high school next year, and while we won't have any official "field trips" I may get to go on the gifted field trip to New York, if that gets to happen!

40. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

Our school buses are really cheap...can't remember the cost, though. I think it would only cost about 1 or 2 dollars per student. Last year, our principal had some funds set aside for field trips, so the school paid a big part of some of them. We also asked the PTO and applied for grants.

For our big trip, the funding was like this: $800 from a grant, $1000 from the principal, $200 from the PTO, and about $800 or 900 from our grade level money (we passed up on buying a lot of supplies and new books this year) to cover the buses. The students only had to pay their entry fee.

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2009

We go on 2. I wish I could go on more. I don't see why we can't, because the ones we do go on are completely free. I work at a school with 6% free and reduced, so I'm pretty sure the parents could fork over $5 for a third field trip. BUT, then my class would be doing something the other K classes weren't doing, and I'm sure that would cause a ruckus...