How many facebook friends do you have?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 18, 2010

I have 75. I don't judge, but people with more than 150 friends seems like too many. Out of my 75, about 15 are people I never associate with outside of FB. They're old acquaintances from home.

3. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

I'm not sure, not more than 25? I mainly use facebook to stay in touch with my friends from camp who live all over the country and Israel. Guess I should check huh?

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

hmmmmm I had to go look. I have 306. A lot are friends from hs that are spread around the country. I also have a ton of family on it. I"ll have to go look to see how many HS friends, family, and friends I see now.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

53 are family
    100 are friends from HS
    100+ are people I am friends with now (mine and some are friends I made through DH)
    and about 30 are online friends.

OH and people I work with I have about 15 people on there.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2010

I have about 350. Most are HS friends or friends from college. Some are friends I have now, co workers, and some from AtoZ.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

I have about 200. Some are people I work with (or worked with), some from college, some from high school and some on-line friends. Most are not people that I see on a regular basis so it's nice to know how everyone is doing.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 18, 2010

I have 30 something friends. Most are family members. A few are from High school. I don't add any friends from work or any of my online friends that I've met on other forums. There is one person who requested to be my friend who I ever talk to at work...she seems like she's just collecting friends lol 2 friends on my list are people I knew through my sister and they just decided to request me as well. I don't really know why.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

Well, you'll think I have too many. I have 563.

Believe it or not, they're all people I actually know some way.
    • good friends
    • high school classmates
    • college classmates
    • co-workers
    • former co-workers
    • neighbors
    • old "band geek" friends from high school
    • a few of my former teachers
    • people I know from here & other online forums
    • my former students
    • some of DH's friends
    • a few of my family members
    • some of DH's co-workers
    • some of DH's family members
    • people from church
    • favorite authors & television personalities & musicians

Out of those people, about 20 of them have full access to my site and see everything I post and all of my information. About 100 others have partial access. They can read some of my posts, some of my pictures, and some of my information. Everybody else is blocked from my wall. They see some of my pictures and very little of my information.

It's a lot like my relationship with people in real life--a few people know all about me, quite a few people know some things about me, and most know very little.

I would never judge someone based on how many friends they do or don't have on a social networking site any more than I would in real life.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

I show a little over 125...but when I look through my Friend List that's including movies, channels, books and then a few businesses I want to stay connected with. A huge percentage of my friends are relatives—so many (and I mean first) cousins I wouldn't otherwise even know.

I do sometimes roll my eyes when I see how many friends a person has, but I guess that's silly. My brother, for example, who refuses to have a Facebook, has a girlfriend with 1,543 friends...and she's in high school. I mean... Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. :)

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

I have less than 10. I am very cautious who I interact with.

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I guess I have way too many. I have 525....I promise that I know all of them, there is no one that I don't know. I live in a small town where everyone knows everyone and we are all on facebook, then add in all my college friends, high school friends, church members and you can quickly add up to 525....

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

I have 93. many of them though are old friends from hs that I don't or can't see regularly or easily. But, all of them are friends or family I know.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2010

22 & I don't personally know a couple of them because they're members of a club I belong to in which I've only attended 1 event. I should delete them off. I'm not on FB that much, so I don't care how few people I hv as friends.

I did delete 1 person that I knew from grad school who doesn't live far from me because the few times I suggested about getting together, she nev replies...yet, she wants my monetary donation when she's doing a run to benefit a charity. I actually donated $5, but knowing about her life doesn't benefit me.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

I have 244. I know them all. The majority of them are people I went to HS with. I went to a small school so everyone knows everyone. The rest are mostly family and current or former co-workers.

There are quite a few of the HS people who have moved all over and I don't get to see. I also just moved 5 hours from home and use FB to keep track of my former co-workers from the 2 jobs I had back there as well as my family.

I don't friend anyone that I don't know well or that I don't trust. There are a few people I know who have tried to friend me, but I don't trust them so no thanks!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

hahaha... then I must be the FB slut LOL I have 1006!!

I have friends from my small town, the small town where I work, college friends, family members, friends for Farmville neighbors.

I just wish I had a handful of real friends close by to do things with.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I have 187 friends. The majority of them are HS friends and past and present co-workers. I do have about 10 friends that I do not know. I befriended them from other friends to play FB games with them. I don't have photos on mine and have blocked the people I don't know from seeing any personal info about me including my wall.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I have 220. I know them all, or they are businesses or organizations.

19. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2010

I have 110. I had more, but I have been deleting people lately.
    I VERY rarely send friend requests. I accept them, but don't send them.

I have a second account where I let students friend me. I have 57 friends on that account, and only 10 are friends with me on both (co-workers or family for Farm Ville purposes, LOL)

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

This is funny!!!:lol:

I have about 350 or so. I'm friends with a lot of interesting people, people I went to hs and grad school, some from work, some who were my kids' friends who spent A LOT of time at my house and they have kids of their own, a lot of family, a few former parents who are like family, some people we've met and liked on vacation (from England, Mexico, and Georgia, and some from here. I've unfriended or ignore some of the ones who just wore me out about a back ache, tooth ache, and other gloom and doom.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

Me too. Anyone who starts posting like that commercial with the mom and dad constantly posting (I'm sitting on the patio), I ignore. I don't need to know about every single life detail!!!

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 18, 2010

What do you guys do when someone sends you a friend request and you have no idea who they are? Someone just sent me one and I don't know them. Do you ignore it? Or send them a message asking who they are??

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I check their friends to see if it is someone I know (?) and just didn't recognize the name. If we have no one in common, then it's usually ignore. The other day a very scary looking man named Edgard friended me. Yikes. Ignore ignore ignore.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 18, 2010

This person doesn't have any friends, I can't check their profile and they have no picture. I'm ignoring.

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

I have 157. I joined Facebook when I was in college, and many times we would friend people we met at different events/classes/etc. I don't have anyone that I don't know on Facebook. In fact, I don't really have many people I associate with now-I used it the most during college.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

Ignore. Even if I recognize mutual friends, I will ignore the friend request. I mean, I don't know the person...

27. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

Facebook apparently doesn't know how to count because throughout the day I can either have 99 or 100.....lol

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I have just over 300.

With the exception of five, I know all of them in real life. Those five include two folks from here :) and three online friends I've had for fifteen years but never met in person. I realize that's a little weird. :lol:

At least 100 of my FB friends are my family members. (I have a really, really gigantic family on both sides, and then there's my husband's family too....).

I also have a number of former students, about 30 people that I went to high school, college, and/or grad school with, a dozen or so former coworkers that I have maintained friendships with, several current coworkers, and an ex-boyfriend. :lol:

At one point I'm sure I would have thought that 300+ FB friends would be too many. Now, though, with so many people having FBs nowadays, it really seems okay.

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

If someone friends me that I don't know, I don't friend them, even if we have friends in common. I hardly ever send requests out unless it's someone I've seen on someone else's page that I know and just haven't been able to find.

30. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Sep 19, 2010

I had to check. I have 97 people on my facebook. There are only 9 that I haven't met in person; all from here. Other than that it's family, former H.S. classmates, former teachers (middle school, high school and college professors), former college classmates, and friends of my boyfriends or friends of friends who I've met (even if it was only once or twice and probably wouldn't be able to pick them out of a group of people).

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

I have 316. I'm also 28, though, so most of the people I graduated high school with are on facebook. I signed up for facebook when it was new, and I was in college, so I have a lot of college acquaintances as friends. I never go through and delete people, either!

32. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Sep 21, 2010

I have about 250. About 50 are family/extended family of myself and my fiance. Almost all of the rest are college and high school friends, sorority sisters, and current and former co-workers.

33. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Sep 21, 2010

I have about 50. I could have about 200 more, but I am just very selective and don't really care to 'friend' people I haven't seen or spoken to in years-for what purpose? I have reconnected with some old friends, but not just anyone I once knew. But that's just me.

34. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 21, 2010

I'm not sure, because I'm at school right now and can't check. I have a lot, although, like some others have posted, I have some that can only see limited information that I've added for some games... the vast majority, however, are people I actually know in real life... people Iwent to grade school with (I moved across the country after my 9th grade year), or high school, or college. I talk to some of them... for others, it's just nice to see what they're doing with themselves, even if we don't talk often (or ever...) Same for college and church friends... Only 1 person from work, although I have some former co-workers on there. ;)

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2010

None. I'm not on facebook.

36. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 21, 2010

Ahhh.... Alice, sign up, be my friend!