How Many Endorsements

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ninnee, May 23, 2013.

1. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

May 23, 2013

Hey there folks new to the forum and have a question. I'm currently in the process of doing post-bacc for elementary Ed in NJ. Now I know NJ is tough as well as elementary but I am also going to be endorsed in Middle School Science, Art K-12 and P-3. Is it dumb to add Middle School History as well. I would need to take a few classes but that's it. Realistically I still have a ways to go and have no clue how the job market will be in 2 years and Id prefer to teach MS Science or Art. I'm just wondering if getting the history makes more sense since I could apply to more openings or am I doing to much all ready. Thanks for any input :).

3. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

May 23, 2013

It's not dumb! Do it!

I am also in NJ and I definitely want to add Middle School English and then either Social Studies or P-3 to my elementary cert :) I just need money for all that, haha.

4. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

May 24, 2013

The more the merrier haha!

I have 5 endorsements. I figure it will just help me get a job and give me more opportunities

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 24, 2013

Not dumb at all but you'd be better off with MS Math.

6. ninnee

ninnee Rookie

May 24, 2013

Thank you all for the replies. I agree MS Math would be better but I would need to take all the classes for that as somehow I never needed a single math class in college.

7. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 24, 2013

I have six endorsements on my license (would have 7, but just can't pass that Economics Praxis :( ). It is not crazy at all to add as many as you possibly can. At this point, I am almost ready to add Guidance Counselor or any other endorsement. Be prepared though, for some reason in my area, it seems all the Social Studies job postings also mention a coaching position. It seems (again, at least in my area) that they get around the discrimination issue by saying "possible" football, boy's basketball, etc coaching position.

Sorry, end vent - very frustrated to see so many of those postings this week. I KNOW they won't hire me to coach football.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

I say go for it as long as you would be comfortable teaching it!