How many districts...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 9, 2020.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

...have you worked in?

I'm starting year 15 and I've only worked in one district. After reading the thread about small/rural districts, it petrifies me to think about starting over. We've got nearly 20 schools in my district, so it's not small, but it's not huge, either.

I'm the type of person who finds something I like and stick with it. In college, I had the same job all 5 years. I've never been one to go from place-to-place.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2020

I have worked in 2, and I will be starting in #3 in the fall.

I would have been content to stay in my first district, but I had an opportunity to move out of state and be closer to family, which I couldn’t pass up.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

I've moved around a lot. I'll be entering year 11 in August. I've worked as a teacher in four districts and five schools. Prior to that I was a para in one district and a sub in another district, but I don't really count those or student teaching, even though I've gained valuable experiences in those settings. I've changed schools due to actually moving my residence a long distance between different states but also because I didn't feel that my values and the values of the district/school were aligned to one another, and I have a hard time reconciling that. Sometimes I still have trouble with that, even in my current district where I'm generally very happy in comparison, but sometimes in the past, it has been hard to claim integrity when teaching where I did.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 9, 2020

1 district and 2 private schools since starting teaching in 1998.

6. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

Six districts, moving to number 7. Hopefully, this new one will be the last--since I finally found my dream job!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2020

When I first started my career, I subbed in one school district then taught in 3 private schools. Since resuming my career in 1999, I've only been in one district, which is the third largest in the province with close to 130 000 students.

8. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

I just finished year 12 and I have worked in 2 districts. I am starting my third different district in the Fall. I would have loved to be someone that stayed in one district my entire career, but circumstances have prevented that. I will say that desire to stay in the same district made me stay in my last district longer than I should have.

9. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

I just finished year 12 and I have worked in 2 districts. I am starting my third different district in the Fall. I would have loved to be someone that stayed in one district my entire career, but circumstances have prevented that. I will say that desire to stay in the same district made me stay in my last district longer than I should have.

whizkid likes this.
  10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2020

20 years in the same district, same building, and with the exception of the 5 years I spent as a literacy coach in my building, I have been in the same grade that whole time, too.

And 10 of those years have been in the same classroom.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

I hesitate to share this because I don't want to inadvertently suggest that anyone here who has worked in few schools or districts is lesser of an educator, because I certainly don't think that's the case. I think there are many ways to learn and grow. However, I will say that, for me personally, working in so many different schools has strengthened me as an educator. It has allowed me to see many different ways of tackling issues that commonly occur in schools, as well as to learn to use and adapt different programs, schedules, strategies, and structures. I've also dealt with being the outsider enough to predict the areas where my newer colleagues will need support and to understand the feeling of being "new" to a team and school. Having been in so many different schools, I've been introduced to a lot of different ways of thinking, different types of people, and different systems. While I often worried that working in so many different schools would make me look like a job-hopper, I now firmly believe that it's one of my biggest assets. Because of it, I easily adapt to change and have widespread knowledge, which I view a positive thing. The downside here is that my knowledge may not be as deep as some others who have stuck with a particular way of doing things for years and years, nor have I developed relationships that span over years and years, but I don't regret the path I've taken.

mrsf70 likes this.
  12. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Jun 9, 2020

One hoping to go to another.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2020

I've been in 3 districts total. I loved my first school. There were some district leadership issues in my department, but it was a fairly large district and while annoying, it didn't really impact my day to day. I moved because I hated living there. I was in an isolated mountain town and I needed civilization! Had the school been in a different location, I probably would have stayed there forever. I did stay for 2 years because I knew how good I had it job-wise.

My second district/school was a dumpster fire. My P was a narcissistic nutcase. I loved my teammates and that's the only thing that helped me last the entire year there- that and knowing I'd never get hired anywhere else if I quit mid-year. I thought about transferring within the district, and then realized every other school had major leadership issues as well. Not being from the area, I understood what I was getting into as far as the student population but I had no idea of the district's reputation as far as treating their employees. I was hired very early in the spring, so at the time it looked like there was low turnover as only a few positions had posted, and the P who hired me ended up leaving and was replaced by the nutcase.

I just finished my 7th year in my current district. For the most part it's been a nice place to work. I've had two principals and both of them have been good. My school has done some amazing things in the past few years and I've been happy to be a part of that. 2-3 years ago, I did apply to other districts not really because I wanted to leave mine, but because I wanted to move into a reading interventionist position. That proved to be quite difficult- there were hardly any postings and most were filled internally by classroom teachers wanting to get out of the classroom.

I finally got an interview at what is considered the "best" (i.e. wealthiest) district in my city. There were big red flags in the interview. For starters, I could tell the school staff in general didn't have most of the knowledge we did at my school about how to teach reading, and that would have been frustrating. Beyond that, the P was wishy washy when I asked about being pulled to sub and when I asked about longevity of the position, she said she had to be honest and say it was totally dependent on year to year funding and that some years they didn't have it. So I ended up staying at my current school and especially given our current situation, I'm very glad I did. The other thing is that over the years I've established myself as someone who is really good at teaching reading and my P has let my job be mostly that for the past couple of years (of course I still have to do IEP paperwork, meetings, and testing). I'm sure I'm much happier in my current position than being an "official interventionist" who is constantly pulled to sub and on the chopping block every year.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 9, 2020

I have taught for nine years in the same district, although I did student teaching in a different district. My current district gives additional benefits to retirees who have sufficient years of service and I am hoping to get those, so I am hoping to stay with this district for another eleven years. My first year was at one school, then I spent seven years at a second school, and last year I returned to the original school.

15. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 9, 2020

We've moved a lot with my husband's job. So I've taught in 5. I have been teaching for almost 24 years and never have been vested in any state I've worked in. :(

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 9, 2020

I’m starting year 17 in the fall. I’ve been in three districts and four schools. I’ve been in my current position for nine years.

17. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

I haven't been teaching long enough to matter, but I'm also the type to happily stay in one place...... just not the same roles, really.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2020

Me, 27 years—
    • 1 district
    • 3 buildings
    • 7 grades (6-12, but mostly 7th/8th)
    • 1 content area (English)
    • spent 17 years in one classroom; on year 5 in current room
    DH, 26 years—
    • 1 district
    • 1 building
    • 3 grades (6/7/8)
    • 2 content areas (math & computer science)

19. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jun 10, 2020

I just finished 15 years (late start at 35):

8 years in District 1, 2 Catholic schools.

3 years in District 2, extremely large, urban and public, 2 schools.

4 years in District 3, medium-sized, urban/rural, one school.

20. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2020

As a full time teacher I have worked in just two districts. I have been teaching full time 13 years. While I was getting my degree and for a year between teaching jobs I have worked in 3 different districts as a sub.

My daughter on the other hand has been teaching 5 years and has taught in 3 different district. She started out with me, then got married and moved to district #2. She taught there two years when they decided to move again to a bigger city with more pay. This will be her 2nd year when school starts again.

21. urban teacher

urban teacher Rookie

Jun 10, 2020

I win! ( Yes, I know it's not a competition) 24 years teaching. 2 districts NM. 4 districts CA. 3 districts GA and now 1 district PA.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  22. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2020

3 school districts

3 years at the 1st school (district 1)
    1 year at a high school (district 2)
    3 years at present school (district 3)

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 11, 2020

That's interesting! It looks like you moved around a lot. Did you move around FOR jobs or had to find jobs because you had to move? It must have been an adjustment each time since all of those states are probably so different.

24. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2020

I started at a private school, but only stayed 2 yrs due to low pay. Then 1 moved and taught in 2 different states. I stayed in the same schools both times for a lot of yrs. 30 altogether....and I am done! ;) I learned a lot from the 1st 2 schools, but the final one constantly brought in "new" programs that I'd used long before in the other district. Here I I guess I have learned more about a different subculture than anything else.