How Many Districts/Schools Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Suburban Gal, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 24, 2007

Right now, I sub for 3 public school districts and 1 Catholic school. As a sub, I split my time between 10 schools total and operate on a first come, first serve basis.

I've been thinking of adding a few m ore public districts and, quite possibly, a few more Catholic schools to my résumé of places to work. I seem to be able to handle everything I currently have and am working anywhere from 1 to 3 days a week. As much as the thought of taking on more excites me, I also wonder if I may be overdoing it just a bit if I went that route.

What do the rest of you think? How many districts/schools is too many?

3. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 24, 2007

I sub for one public school district which includes 43 schools. I could work everyday if I wish. However, I usually choose to just work 2 or 3 days per week. I always have jobs scheduled weeks in advance, which I prefer. I like knowing what days I will be working and where I will be located.

I would like to try to subbing more during the week, but I have only been doing this since January. I do not want to be overwhelmed and then burn out.

4. Suburban Gal

Mar 25, 2007

43 schools to one district? WOW! :eek:

Since you just started out, I'd continue with what you're doing now so that you get build up confidence and really get into the swing of it THEN add more.

Anyhow, does anyone else want to comment on how many districts/schools is too many?

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2007

I think that if you have to frequently turn down jobs with a school or district because you are working elsewhere, that you have too many. If you are working for more than one district, each will be expecting you to be available to them on a regular basis.

6. Suburban Gal

Mar 26, 2007

Yes, but isn't it common knowledge among districts and schools that subs are usually multiple district subs? After all, it's not often I meet someone who just subs for one district or one school. God knows we can't really survive on just one district or school alone, especially if they're not using us as often as we'd like them to use us.

I can't speak for other subs here, but I need all the money I can start paying more of my own bills, so that I can start saving for my own car, and so that I can have a nice chubnk of retirement money for myself someday.

7. SpecEdTeacher

SpecEdTeacher Companion

Mar 26, 2007

If you are looking to work everyday, then add another district to the list.
    I only ever subbed in one district, which has three schools. I was getting called everyday to sub from the time I had enough credits to sub until the day I started teaching (I still get calls every once in a while when my name pops up in the system!)

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2007

I'd say if you find yourself turning down jobs more ... it's too much.

You can specify days you are available.. that way they will only call those days. So if you'd like to try another district out, go for it.

9. Suburban Gal

Mar 26, 2007

I don't know if I'll ever get around to working everyday since we subs in NE IL rely more on old fashioned sub callers than we do AESOP or SubFinder. Though I admit, it'd be nice to work 5 days a week as a sub. I'm sure those who do really enjoy it a lot.