How many district did you apply to?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Sep 1, 2010.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 1, 2010

How many districts did you apply to?

I'm wondering because I know that I have applied to way too many. After trying to go the ACP route last year and not getting a single interview from the 28 districts I applied to, I went a little crazy this year. I'm sure that my references are wishing they hadn't agreed to write me recommendations.

School started over a week ago and I still don't have a job. I was counting and realized I have applied to 73 districts around the state. I'm totally willing to move if I have to because I can't go another year like this. I'm fully certified, but it's in areas that are saturated (elementary and social studies). I also wonder if my M.Ed. is putting me out of contention since they have to pay me more and my bachelors isn't in education.

So how many districts have you applied to? Have I gone completely overboard?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

When I first started out, I applied to TONS of districts. I'm thinking it was close to 30, maybe more. When we moved, there was not alot of districts around so that number dropped to about 10-15. This past year, that number dropped again b/c of the area we're in (rural), the fact that I have to stay within so many minutes of where we live b/c hubby is out of town for the next year, so this year that number is probably more around 5.

That being said, you have to do what is best for you and what you feel is right. The more districts you apply to, the more opportunities you have to get a job. Don't worry about applying to 'too many districts'. I don't think there is such a thing!

4. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure on the exact number of districts I have applied to, but I have applied to about 150 to 200 positions if not more.
    I have a lts spot starting in a couple of weeks. I still have yet to find anything permanent and full-time.

5. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Sep 6, 2010

I applied to 60-something, and was finally offered a job at the end of July.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

I think applying to as many districts as possible is a good thing, not a bad thing. You're not limiting your search and hopefully that will pay off.

Just curious, why do you think your references would care? You're just making copies of their letters right? I'm not following how that affects them at all.

As far as how many I applied to during my job search I'm lucky to have a "hard to fill" certification so I got enough interviews with applying just to job postings within a 45 minute drive and I never needed to send off packets to other schools. I think it was about 10 different districts.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2010

When I first looked for a job: all the 124 districts on Long Island, the 8 or 9 Catholic high schools, the 6 or 8 private non-Catholic schools (there were no charter schools back then) and NYC.

Twenty six years later, after a short break as a SAHM: many fewer-- probably only about 50. I had 3 kids, and had to consider my commute.

Realistically, I knew that not all of my applications would hit districts that needed a math teacher, even though math jobs tend to be easier to find. And that they only contact references after the interview, when they're close to offering a job. Once I accepted a job, I realized that I would stop taking interviews, so my references would no longer be in the picture.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 7, 2010

I applied to 10 districts. That doesn't sound like many, but I was very limited due to my location. I live in the western-most tip of NC and could only apply to districts due east of my location. I applied to every district within 100 miles.

I also took measures to become licensed in GA and TN. Once I've completed that, THEN I can apply to ALL the districts surrounding me, although it hopefully looks like I may not need to at this point.

9. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 7, 2010

Most of the applications here are done are online and as soon as it is submitted it sends an email to my references that links to the online recommendation. Most districts won't accept pre-written letters. It has to be online or on paper on their particular form. Thankfully quite a few of my districts were in a consortium that only requires one form from each reference. However, my references did fill out A LOT of online recommendations.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 7, 2010

Ah! Well, I'm sure your references understand that with the market being what it is you need to apply to as many places as you can.

11. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Sep 7, 2010

I had to have applied to over 100 districts. I faxed resumes every night for 1.5 hours