How many days is your first week?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

I'm bummed about our starting schedule this year. In the past, we've begun on a Wed or Thurs, a nice short first week. This year we start on a Monday. Is it just me, or does that seem like a tough start? :rolleyes:

3. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I teach year-round and love it. We get two weeks off after ever quarter, that's two weeks every season of the year, and I love it. I hate summer so I dig this.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

We always start with meetings the Tuesday before Labor Day, followed by 3 days of Frosh Orientation. All faculty members take part in the orientation program, though it does give us lots of free time to get organized.

The day after Labor Day, it's a full day of school for all 2550 kids. We have an assembly schedule in the morning, so everyone can get their schedules and locker assignments. But by 10 am, everyone is in their first period class, and school has started for the year.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

We start on Monday, but I'm with you, I prefer starting on Wednesday or Thursday. We used to do that, and it was so much nicer to *ease* students (and teachers) in to the school routine. We had those first two days to do all of the procedural stuff like issue textbooks, change schedules, pretest, etc. and then on the following Monday we began "real school". My daughter's school still does that.

We start on Monday now, and by Friday, I will be exhausted and probably have lost my voice!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

We're the opposite. Normally we've started on a Tue or Wed, this year teachers go back on a Thu and students on Fri. I'd rather start on a Monday than have one day with students and then the weekend. But I'd agree that a Tue or Wed would be a nicer start than a Mon.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers go back Monday, students show up Wednesday.

One year students showed up on a Monday ... it was not fun. By Thursday EVERYone was drained.

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 17, 2012

Good to see I'm not alone. For as long as I can remember we always started on Thursday... it was nice, because it was a short week and after many weeks of not using my voice... I could ease into the year. We came back the Monday...the kids returned that Thursday.

This year, we return on Wednesday, and the kids come back the following Monday. Should be interesting (translation: tiring).

I plan on using Monday and Tuesday to do procedures, protocol, etc. We'll start "regular curriculum" on Wednesday, I guess?

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

The kids start on a Monday.
    We start the 15th, which means we have 8 days before the kids come! 5 of them are Common Core training days, and 1 belongs to my P for our first day meeting. So I only have 2 classroom days- and our open house is on the first of the two. Boo.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start on Monday and students start on Wednesday. I would hate to have kids come on a Monday. I would be so tired the last half of the week.

11. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2012

Yep, we're the same. My old school always starts on a Wednesday. New school starts on a Monday--AND we don't get Labor Day off. My old school was private, so we had TONS of off days. I think I counted 12 days that my old school has off this year that my new school doesn't. Boo. Oh well. Just thankful to have a job in my new town. :)

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start on Monday and students come on Wednesday.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start on a Monday. We have meetings most of the day and maybe two hours to work in our rooms. Then, this is the fun part, almost all of the elementary buildings have Open House that night and the kids come Tuesday. It is a long week.

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

This year we start our professional development week on a Friday next month, then we also have the next full week. The first day of school for students is Aug. 27th.

15. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 17, 2012

Students come back on a Monday.

16. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

The students used to start on Thursday but now they'll be starting on Tuesday. We start the Monday before so we get about a week to prep.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 17, 2012

I report back on a Wed (but don't start working with kids until around 2 wks later.)

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

The week before kiddos, we have teacher meetings Tues-Thurs. Friday is technically a non-contract day, but most people will be at school finalizing things. Students start back on Monday. It does make for a long firs week with students!

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 17, 2012

I go back Monday Aug 6th, but the kids come Wednesday the 8th. Starting with kids on a Monday seems harsh to me. LOL

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

We go back for a full week the 1st week too. You should see the little ones- just drained by the end of the week!

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

They drag ours out. We have to work one day in our classrooms the first week. This year they are also having a little in-house tech conference for three days that week, too, and we have to do at least two days of PD over the summer. Most people will do this conference. I am presenting for part of one day, so I guess I will work at least 3 days that week. The next week we have 3 days of meetings, and then the first week with the kids we have 4 days. Our second week is 4 days too.

22. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 17, 2012

We used to start on a Thursday. But then the state department put up a huge stink about short weeks and how they aren't beneficial to students.

So we went to starting on a Monday for a couple of years. I teach middle/high school and hated it. The Pre-K teachers despised it because the little ones were done by Wednesday.

This year, we are going back to starting on a Wednesday.

23. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 17, 2012

My kids school has started on Monday for the last couple years. Since they spend mos of the summer in summer camp they transition well. Camp is physically tiring and switching to school is just a different kind of tired for them.

I go back on Friday August 17th for a all staff training day. Then the Mon-Wed of the following week is set up and training. Then the kids start on Thursday full day and Friday is a half day. I am looking forward to having 2 days to focus on routines and expectations before I have to start curriculum. I think it is a better way than starting on a Monday.

24. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

I've been RIFed three times, therefore I'm just grateful to be teaching whenever they want me to.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2012

I miss the mid-week start too.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2012

We start on Wednesday. It works great!

27. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

We start on a Tuesday, but teachers are back in session two weeks prior to that day. I believe my first year, we started on a Thursday.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

We start on a Monday as well.

29. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

So are we. Well, new teachers to the school start two weeks before. The others (unless they are department heads, leaders, etc.) start a week before.

30. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

We used to start on a Wednesday, past few years its been Thursday. Yay!

31. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start on a Tuesday, students start on a Thursday, so that should be nice.

32. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start the Tuesday after Labor Day and kids start on Wednesday this year :) The earliest kids have ever started is a Tuesday.

33. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

This year the kids start on Monday. I much prefer Wednesday or Thursday, and didn't like it at all when it was a Friday. This year, though, starting a day earlier means we have the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off, so I can deal with it! ;)

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

We normally go back the week before school starts. We start on a Monday too, but it's only a half day the first day. Prek students don't start until Tuesday.

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 17, 2012

This is the first week we are starting on a Tuesday. Normally we start on Monday with a full week.

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

The first day of school is always the Tuesday after Labour Day, so the first week is 4 days.

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Those of you who start after Labor Day are soooo lucky! Teachers go back August 9, a Thursday, for 2 days of PD. Students return on Monday, August 13, for a full week! The temperatures will be anywhere from 95-105 outside, so no recess. I just hope our AC units hold out!!

I will probably be back in my classroom at least a little beginning next week to get it ready.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Yes, but some of us who don't start until after Labour Day were in school until the very end of June.

39. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

True, but (at least here) it is cooler in June than in August, so it would be (a) cheaper because the a/c bills wouldn't be so high, and (b) the kids would have a chance to go outside & move around!

40. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jul 17, 2012

Teachers start the first weekday of September (this year, Monday the 3rd) and this year the students are starting the following Monday.

41. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

I have to go back next Tuesday, but only Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday are department directed leave, and we don't get paid if we go in. I'll probably go in anyway if I have work to do.

Kids start on July 30th, a Monday. It's a full day. At my last school we always had a half day on the first day of school. It will be interesting this year because I'm the music teacher now. My classes don't start until Friday (the 3rd) or the next Monday. So I don't know if I'll be able to have planning time that first week or if I'll need to help out in other classes. I would love to help with my old class (the one I was supposed to loop with), but I think they need to get to know their new teacher without me there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.