How many days do you get?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midwestteacher, Aug 5, 2010.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

How many pre-school planning days do you get? Are they structured or can you work in your classroom getting ready for school to start?
    Our teachers come back on a Monday and the kids start school on Wednesday. Our two days are pretty packed with professional development and we only get about 1 1/2 hours a day in our classrooms. Some teachers are already here trying to get ready.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

We have one mandatory day at school before the students start--it is pretty full with meetings, trainings. The week before school starts, we are able to get into the building for as much (or as little) time as we need to set up.

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 5, 2010

We get 2 whole days in our classrooms. We have to go back 7 days before kids come back. We have 3 days of professional development and 2 days of back to school conferences. Most teachers are back before our official start days to get everything ready. During our days in the classrooms we have to set schedules, get our stuff labeled (as our class lists change every few hours), etc....

5. historynut

historynut Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

We get a week. We go back on Monday and the kids come the next Monday. They do have orientation on the Friday in between.

I haven't gotten the schedule for this year yet, but at least 1 day is always blown with inservices. The other days they try to at least give us half of the day to work in our rooms.

6. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 5, 2010

We get 1 day of restructuring and 2 days of professional development. I'll probably go in soon to do a few things. Maybe next week.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 5, 2010

1 day. Its half meeting, half room.

8. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

The teachers start on the August 17---some are mandatory workdays( staff development sessions) and some are protected workdays(teachers can work in their classrooms uninterrupted) students start on August 25

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

We have 5 days. 1 day is spend doing PD. Another half day is our meet-the-teacher night (we work 11-7 that day). We also begin with a staff meeting that takes about 6 hours. So, we get 2 days to really work.

10. cjven

cjven Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

We have 5 days. The mornings are PD and the afternoons are to work in your classroom. We also have a meet-the-teacher night where the students get their schedules and everything.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

About the same here. I'll prob go in a little early because I'm switching grades/schools.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 5, 2010

We have three and it's a mix of meetings, professional development and classroom time. I generally find it a good start to the school year.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2010

We have 1/2 a day in our rooms. Which is why most teachers are there almost every day during the summer...

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

We get 7 paid days to work in our classrooms, and we have meetings for 2 of those days, approximately. That leaves us 5 whole days to work in our classrooms, and I love it!

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

We only have one day this year-we used to have at least 4-5. But we won't have any meetings this year since it's our only day.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 5, 2010

Show off. lol

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2010

We get 3 days but I'm sure 2 of those days will be PD.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

We have one day full of meetings, with about 45 minutes unstructured (aside from the coffe break and lunch; both are provided.)

That's followed by 3 days of freshman orientation. The adults have lots of free time during those days, particularly those who don't teach freshmen. But even the frosh teachers have lots of down time, while their homerooms are doing some of the activities being run by other faculty members.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 5, 2010

Our schedule is exactly the same, but we end up getting maybe 4 hours in our classrooms.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Ditto.
    We can't enter the building prior to that AM either.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

We cannot be there in the summer.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2010

Rabbit, that's horrible! What do they expect you to do?

We aren't allowed in the building from the end of summer school until the day we are to report. Our maintenance guy tells us it's so he can get into our rooms and get things done, but when I stopped by today and yesterday to drop stuff off, NO one was there and the alarm was on. I'm guessing he's not doing much now and I would have loved to have this time to go in and organize things.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

We don't actually get any time in our classrooms. We have one opening day before the kids begin, and it's filled with meetings. This year we had two days of professional development beore school started. I went in two weeks before school started and spent two days getting my room ready. We can't get in the building the week before school due to waxing the hallways.

24. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

We go back on Monday. School starts Wednesday. Our first day is typically spent with 1/2 for "catching up/PD" and the other half for working in our classrooms. That evening we have our "Meet Your Teacher Night". On Tuesday, we have at least 1/2 day of PD again and 1/2 day in our rooms.