How many days a week do you work?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by WhatchaDoin?, Apr 24, 2010.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 24, 2010

Are you called to sub every school day, or are you thankful to get work 2/5 of the time? I work in a district that is not automated, so I get calls from VP's and secretaries. Sometimes, I get 2 - 3 calls a day, from different schools. After saying no, I am in so-and-so school a certain amount of times, some schools have quit calling. :(

So, I was wondering, what is good for a sub?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 24, 2010

These days, only Mon, but that's been my day of subbing for this one SLP all this school yr & last (every Mon). Also, I recently finished an almost 4 month assignment for this other SLP that was another 3 days a wk.

4. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

I can find work pretty much any days I want. The assistant principal at a local school has gone so far as to say that I am welcome to call the school every day and ask if they will need me. I do choose to work only a few days of the week, however, as I am still in college myself.

5. azure

azure Companion

Apr 24, 2010

My district uses AESOP and I work every day. I'm willing to do any level, but middle school is my favorite. Some subs will only do elementary and they don't work as much.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2010

I usually work only about two days a week. This is mostly by choice, though. The automated system calls me a ton and I choose the assignments that I feel most comfortable with and I also get some teacher requests. I don't really like subbing so I do enough to keep me in the field of education and I work part-time on the weekends and usually one or two evenings a week to ensure that I have a steady income.

7. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 25, 2010

Every day for me. It started off as me trying to figure out what grade I want to teach so I wanted to get everything. Now it just feels weird to stay home.

The people that run our subbing love me and my wife so much that they call us for anything they think we might want that pops up in the morning if we don't have something already. My wife gets all the fun jobs. I got one one day where the original sub was late and they canceled on that sub and sent me instead.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 25, 2010

I've been subbing many years, and normal ='d 4-5 days a week in the past.

This year, it's much more hit & miss, and I sub in two districts. For example, this week I worked only 2 days, and most weeks this year, I'm off at least one day. If I were to give an average, I'd probably say somewhere between 3-3.5 days/week?

9. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

I get calls for the most part every day, but many of them are late notice calls. If I accept one of those, I have to be at the school within 20 minutes. Unfortunately, I live 20 minutes from the district where I sub, and can't get there in time. Usually, I know if I can sub the night before, and check the system around 10pm to see if there are any jobs available. If there aren't any, I usually don't sub the next day.

For the most part, I sub maybe once or twice a week, which is fine for me since school takes up so much time.

10. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 25, 2010

20 minutes? They tell us officially we have an hour. Of course, if you take that long all the time they'll call people on short notice who can get there faster.

11. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

I was shocked too. We were told at orientation not to accept any late notice calls unless you were ready to walk out the door that moment. It makes me wonder why some schools have so much trouble finding a sub!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Apr 25, 2010

About two to three days per week. I'm picky, though. I won't take middle school and I'm not crazy about calls the same morning. At this point, though. It's getting to the end of the year and I'm going to have to take what comes up because I need hte money.

13. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 26, 2010

That's probably good practice anyway. But on most days where I don't have a job lined up the night before I have to make a lunch in the morning (I refuse to trust the school cafeteria, especially above elementary). 5 of the schools are right at 20 minutes away, so I guess they'd be unavailable to me under your system.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Apr 26, 2010

Well it really varies since I can only sub on mondays,weds and fridays due to being in college right now during the day and not being able to go to school at night due to a 2nd job. Well out of those days usually 2 but sometimes all 3. I also, don't like jobs that for example: Call at 8am ms. _____ we had a teacher get sick can you come in. When do you need me? As soon as you can get here. I will sub those jobs but I don't care for them. They know it takes time for me to get ready and then drive to the school though so its not like I have to rush, altough I am faster at getting ready then I am on a normal day. Calls in the morning at like 5-6am saying can I come in today I woke sick are better cuz' thats when I would of been up anyway to sub.

15. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

If a call comes in after 7am, I decline the job immediately. All of the schools I sub for are more than 20 minutes away, so I don't even think twice about it unless it's an afternoon job. I don't want to accept a job when I know I won't make it there on time.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Apr 26, 2010

Could you get up like you know its a planned day? Shower, dress, fix lunch etc. and then when that last min call comes all you have to do is leave and if does not you can change clothes(if you want or if needed) and do w/e you normally would have done on an off day or need to do.

17. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

Ideally, yes that would be a great idea. However, most of the schools I sub for are more than 20 minutes away. Even if I prepared like you said, I still couldn't accept many jobs per my district guidelines.

18. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

If a call comes in after 7am, I decline the job immediately. All of the schools I sub for are more than 20 minutes away, so I don't even think twice about it unless it's an afternoon job. I don't want to accept a job when I know I won't make it there on time.

I decline those, too. Same driving distance, but I also have two kids that go to two different places. My preschooler's schedule stays pretty much the same, but my school age child has a different routine on mornings when I work. G-P's make sure he gets on the bus. This is a "volunteer position", so I don't want to use this, unless something is scheduled. Just hate to impose!:D

These posts are making me feel better. This is my first year, so I am still building contacts.

19. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 26, 2010

That's what I do. It makes things so much easier in the morning.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2010

Me too, if you want to work every day, tell yourself you are....99% of the time I do. The administrator knows this about me too, I have never told them no, so it definitely works to my advantage.

And for that 1% of the time where I dont get called...I dont waste my day by sleeping all day!

21. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 29, 2010

I think hat in the 2nd district I sub, a lot of other subs just sub in that one district and, lately, they seems to get more offer from that district than I do. Probbaly because of their avaliability. For me, i the 1sy district I ub, there is a high scholl that uses me at leats 2 days a week and this week, 3 times so far and I like it. It's not as tiring as subbing elementary.