How many classes per day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sabrina84, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Hello,

I am considering getting my teacher credentials in the near future, and have about a million questions. A lot of them have been answered by reading around on this forum, you guys are great!

I was wondering, how is the high school teacher's day usually structured? Do they teach all 7 periods with only a lunch break in between? Or do they get a period or two to grade work, prepare for the next day's lesson, etc?

Also, I am located in California and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to teach more than one subject in high school (by passing two CSET tests or otherwise). My major is a BFA in Photography and I'd love to be able to teach both Art and English. Is that a possibility, or should I pick one?

Finally, are teaching positions for art more difficult to find than other subjects? Obviously the art departments at most schools are smaller than other departments.

I hope I'm asking these questions in the right place. Thanks so much!

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

You will find there are many high school schedules, block, 4x4, modified block, traditional . . . I teach a traditional 7 period scheudle. I teach 6 and have one prep hour no matter how many different classes I teach. For example, I will teach 3 different classes this year but still have only one prep.

Good Luck in your quest to become a teacher

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

I am also on a traditional 7 period schedule. Here is the schedule I've had for 4 years:
    Period 1: CP English
    Period 2: English III
    Period 3: English III
    Period 4: English IV
    Period 5: Plan
    Period 6: CP English
    Period 7: English III

So, like INteacher, I have 3 different classes and 1 planning period each day.

Though I don't have any real evidence, I suspect art teaching jobs are difficult to find. Art depts are small and in a time of testing and budget shortages, art is low on the priority list (no matter how wrong we all know this is).

Getting dual certified would be advantageous, particularly if you are pursuing an art cert. Any intestes in athletics, in my district, football and basketball coaches are highly valued.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

Last year I taught 5 out of 6 periods on a regular schedule. Previously I taught 3 out of 4 periods on a block schedule. The remaining period in both cases was prep time.

Yes, it is possible to teach multiple subjects. Last year I taught biology, earth science and math. Sometimes it is good to have multiple authorizations, and sometimes bad. It is possible your administrator could assign you to teach only English after you have been hired when you want to teach Art.

IMHO Art and English would be a good combination. There are fewer Art jobs than English jobs. From what I see, English is in reasonable demand in most of California.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2008

I teach on a non-traditional 7 period day. I teach 6 classes and have 1 prep period. We drop one class everyday.So on Day 1 I might have A, B, C, D, E, F. Then on Day 2 we drop The A period and would teach B, C, D, E, F, G. Then on Day 3 We Would have C, D, E, F, G, A. There are some advantages to this, we have slightly longer classes and get to see students at different times of the day. One disadvantage for me (because I teach 6 classes) is that some days, I will not have a prep period. This is going to be a new schedule for me so if anyone has taught on this schedule before, I would love to hear any more advantadges and disadvantages that you hve encountered.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2008

Our school has a rotating A/B block schedule. Every other day, a different set of classes meets. This is what it looks like:

Silver days (Odd periods meet)
    Optional Early Bird Period (meets daily)
    Period 1
    Period 3
    Period 5
    Period 7

Blue days (even classes meet)
    Optional Early Bird (meets daily)
    Period 2
    Period 4
    Period 6
    Period 8

I have one regular period free from students every day so that I can plan. Every other day, I will probably also have an additional regular period free from students (planning period), because I will probably teach an Early Bird class. If I didn't teach Early Bird, I would just have that period off as a planning period.

In any event, I will have 6 sections total each semester, although I won't see all my students on the same day.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

When I was a LTS at a middle school I taught 5 periods (45 min each) covering 3 different subjects. I had one prep, a 30 minute lunch, and then 1 period each day which was sometimes a meeting, sometimes sub coverage, and sometimes an additional prep.

This fall I'm teaching at a HS and it's on a block schedule. I'll teach 3 80 minute blocks and have an 80 minute prep. The other 80 minute block will be partially for lunch and partially for an extra duty of some sort.

I think getting an additional certification on top of the art is a good idea so as to expand the job opportunities. Good luck to you!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

This is similar to the schedule I followed when I was in high school. As a student I really liked this set up. I liked that I got to skip a different class each day. I liked that I didn't always have the same class first thing in the morning, or right after lunch, or the very last period. So once every four days I'd have gym right before lunch which made for a nice relaxing mid day. Or if I had art at the end of the day it made for a nice end to the day. Our double period science classes were only double periods two out of four days. As a person who was not fond of science I really liked that part. I think these are things you might like as a teacher too. So if your A class for example is a class that doesn't do well first thing in the morning, at least they're not always meeting with your first thing. You can give slightly longer homework if you know they won't see you the next day since they'll have two days to complete it. A definite downside will be the day you don't get your prep period.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 20, 2008

-I used to teach in a modified 4x4 with classes varying in length from 1-4 terms. (They met everyday for the length of the terms, all APs meet all year.)
    -Now we are on a 6 period day in which students take 7 courses a semester, one class drops a day.All core classes (besides calculus anda few others). Teachers teach 5 courses a semster.

11. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Thanks for all the great answers, I've only experienced the standard 7-period schedule while I was in high school, so it's interesting to see how other types of schedules work. I think most schools in my area are switching to block scheduling, including the one I used to go to.

Malcolm, or anyone else in CA: Is getting a second subject certification as easy as taking the CSET in that subject, or is there more involved?

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

My school is on a block schedule, so I only teach 3 classes a day.

As far as having your BA in photography, in Texas photography can also be classified as a journalism class. My certification is in journalism, so I can teach photography, but so can the art teacher...

Not really sure what that has to do with anything... LOL. Just letting you know!

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

In my district in SoCal, we have a traditional 7-period day, but period 1 is optional - most students start period 2. I teach period 1 by choice because I'm done early - no period 7. Most of the teachers in my school teach 5 periods and have one prep period, but sometimes we'll teach 6 periods. When we pick up one of these "auxiliary" periods we're paid an additional 1/5 (I think) of our salary.

You'll have to get a credential in either art or English, and that's going to take you at least a year. I would go for English; maybe you'd be able to teach photography as well without getting the additional credential.

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

I'm going from a school on 4 blocks to a traditional 7 period schedule. I'm interested to see how much I can get covered in a 50 minute period versus a 90 minute period. I'm also going from a 90 minute plan to a 50 minute plan. This should be an interesting year.

15. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 20, 2008

My school has four 85-minute blocks a day. I teach high school history and my days are:

Day "A":
    Class
    Free Period
    Class
    Free Period

Day "B":
    Class
    Free Period
    Class
    Class

16. New Teachh

New Teachh Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Most schools around here have either 7, 8, or 9 periods that rotate A/B days. We're currently re-doing out scheduling so I'm not sure how it will work next year.

17. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I'm going from teaching 5 classes to teaching 7 w/ one prep! I'm not sure how I'll stay organized or what I'm getting myself into, but I'm going to give it my best!

18. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

Jul 22, 2008

Our school is on the A/B Block Schedule, with

A Day: Blocks 1, 2, 3, and 4
    B Day: Blocks 5, 6, 7, and 8

Each teacher gets one off period per day. For example, I don't have a class during 3rd Block or 8th Block.

19. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 22, 2008

Back in the middle school, I taught seven Language Arts classes daily (grades 6, 7, & 8), had 23 minutes for lunch, and one prep. School started at 7:50 and ended at 3:20.