How many classes do MS new teachers teach?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shine01, Aug 11, 2011.

1. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 11, 2011

How many classes do Middle school new teachers teach usually? the principal told me I will be teaching 10 classes and 1 selective class a week. So that means only 2 classes a day. is that too little? or that is normal for new teachers?
    because other schools told me I will be teaching 4 or 5 classes a day. so 2 classes will be too little, isn't it?
    Or I misunderstand her words?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2011

Maybe they use block scheduling? In my district 6th grade ELA is 2 periods- so 80 minutes rather than 40, so 2 periods of ELA are really like teaching 4 classes.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 11, 2011

Are you full time? Even with block scheduling, 2 periods would not be a full school day I don't think :dizzy: New teachers usually teach the same amount of classes as everyone else.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 11, 2011

What subject? The only thing I can think is that he means 10 different classes a week (so geometry, algebra, etc.) but still the regular 6-8 periods a day, but I can't think of a high school subject where you'd have 10 completely different classes unless maybe you were doing multiple subjects. Most of my friends that teach HS only teach 2-3 different lessons and then repeat those lessons throughout the day. So they might have 8 bells but each of those 8 bells is either Spanish 1, 2, or 3, so they only have 3 lessons to plan. Are you sure you're full time? Maybe you could ask to see a schedule or something. This close to the school year, they should have something worked out as far as who is teaching what. I've never heard of a new teacher teaching less classes- you're presumably replacing someone who left a full time job, so who would be available to pick up the slack?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

I wondered about this as well on your other thread, shine01. A new teacher who is full time should have the same course load--you don't get to teach less just because you're new. I would double-check with the principal for clarification of your schedule and teaching responsibilities.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2011

For starters, a "new" teacher is no different in terms of scheduling than any other teacher. You interviewed and were hired as a professional.

Perhaps it's a class that meets every other day? A normal courseload in my building is 5 daily classes, so 10 alternate day classes would make sense. Someone else suggested block scheduling-- that would be a logical answer.

This year I have 9 classes: 4 geometry classes that meet daily and 5 rotating SAT prep classes-- in theory (but probably not practice) one per day.

It seems to me that you have a lot of questions for your principal.

8. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Aug 11, 2011

That seems like a short day!

I'm a new MS teacher, and I will teach 6 classes/day (plus a homeroom). I have three preps total, so I teach two sections of each subject per day.

9. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Question

I only teach math. What does block schedule mean? Double period?
    Should I call the principal and find out? When I asked her, she seems not sure about the schedule and a lot of thing. I asked her do I need to prepare anything before the school begins? She said I don't have to. She just asked me to come up with creative ideas for my students to do in the selective class.
    Does that sound crazy?
    She is a new principal. Are there a lot f things she needs to settle?
    Should I start my Jon search again?

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Did you sign a contract?

Do teachers start school before the kids? How could you go in iwth nothing prepared?!?!! That doesn't make sense.

11. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Should I contact the principal?

Aliceacc: please see my reply above.
    You teach in NY? If I now don't like this school that much, I already had their letter of intend to hire. Can I still go interviews and accept other schools?

12. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

No contract

There's no contract. She just gave me an intend to hire letter and told me to submit my fingerprint to the edu department. And I did. That's all I did. So, you think this principal's answers sounds a bit "not normal" ? Should I look for other schools?

13. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

The subject is math

7/8 th grade math.

14. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

Should be full-time

I hope it should be full-time.
    This confused me a lot.

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

What state are you in?

Did you submit your fingerprints?

I would call the personnel department and check the status of your employment.

16. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

Maybe you're in class support for the rest of the day?

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Oh, i just saw you submitted finger prints.

Yes, call personnel, say you have the intend to hire letter, you submitted your fingerprints and you are just checking the status of the process. Is there anything else that needs to be done on your end.

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

When does school start?

19. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

No contract

I did not sign the contract. I only have the letter of intend to hire. And submitted my fingerprint.
    In this case, can I still go for other interviews?

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Is there perhaps a language barrier at play here? I'm having a very difficult time understanding your posts and the situation.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Keep on interviewing until you sign a contract.

22. shine01

shine01 Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

PCdiva: The school starts 9/6. I am in NY. I just called the edu department. They confirmed I am already in their system and got a position at that school already. I guess the employment is set. And now I just wait for the next steps now.

MissJill: what do you mean in class support of the day? I

23. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

Congrats!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

YAY!! Congrats!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2011

I do think that you need to confirm with your principal exactly what your job responsibilities will be--not just grade and subject. Are you the teacher, support teacher (resource or inclusion), or an aide. (The statement that you don't need to prepare anything makes me wonder.) What textbook or other resources are you expected to use (ask if you can come in to the school to pick up copies of these so that you can plan)? How many classes are you teaching? Approximately how many students are in each? Do you have your own classroom? What is the first day you need to be at the school--is this a day for you to work on planning or are there meetings?

With school starting soon, these are questions you need answers to immediately.

26. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

All great questions! Definitely get in touch with the principal and ask for copies of the book. You can also ask for class rosters (of course this may change)- but this way you can see how many sections and what you are actually teaching!

27. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

In class support in NJ is when a regular ed or special ed teacher goes into a general education classroom for support.

28. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

I teach 4 periods a day- 2 math (90 minutes) and 2 science (45 minutes).