How many books in your class library?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by dumbdiety, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 2, 2007

That is a great story! One day you will probably have an opportunity to pass the generosity on in some way.

I also loved hearing about the kids who struggled with reading in 2nd then scored perfect on the SAT! Often bilingual children appear to be lagging in the early grades, but usually they take off like a rocket later on and pass everyone up. I saw this first hand with a bilingual family we have been friends with since the first baby was born. Her third grade teacher was very arrogant and practically labeled her stupid, right to her mother's face! I encouraged her mom to keep supporting her, that there was nothing wrong with her intelligence, she was just learning everything in 2 languages. Well, this young lady graduated high school recently with about a 3.7 GPA and was accepted by a prominent east coast university. She is well respected as a bilingual adult and even helped her mom start a bilingual business! I'd love to track down that mean 3rd grade teacher I'll tell you.

2. teachertime

teachertime Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I agree with you, bonneb, and plan on helping others when I get the opportunity, because I believe blessings are meant to be shared.

Teachers can provide positive energy and encouragement to young people and I hate to hear when a teacher berates a student and calls them negative names. I had one of those when I was in 1st grade and I've never forgotten her.

I'm glad to hear about the young lady's adult success.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 3, 2007

I normally do mine by theme or series. I've done the levelized before, but find that my lower readers won't pick very many books. Now, they tend to try just right books and harder books. One of my lessons at the beginning of the year is how to pick "Just Right Books". If you train them how to do that then they will be able to. Sometimes it even gives those students more incentive to read because they see books that they want to read eventually.

Oh, and for catloging them:
    Librarything.com
    Someone shared this site with us a little while back and I absolutely love it. You can store up to 200 books for free, or you can pay $25 for a lifetime membership (it's $10 a year if you decide to do yearly) with unlimited books.

4. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Mine are organized according to genre.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2007

I organized my books first by non fiction and fiction books. Then, I organized them into genres. I didn't level my books, I want my kids to know how to find Just Right books.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 3, 2007

Me too! Like I said, it seems that students who are lower don't want to even try books that are a little above their level if the books are levelized. Does that make sense? For some reason the students are intimidated when they see that the books are separated into easy to hard (levels). They become more interested if they get to choose from a wider range.

7. BabyMakes3

BabyMakes3 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I have at least over 1000 books. They are now all grouped by genre, author, etc. I had more at one time, but got rid of those that the kids NEVER read. I also have a HUGE collection of cereal boxes bound together into books for the kids to read.

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2007

I haven't even counted but keep adding- maybe 500?

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 7, 2007

I have to laugh at this...we must be twins!!! Honestly, I have lost count. I have actually bought doubles and even triples, because I have forgotten what I have. I should take inventory,but it just seems overwhelming. My friend and colleague teases me all the time. I made a promise to her,and myself, that I would NOT order any scholastic books this year. So, when my two catalogs came, I drooled over them, and sent them to the recycling bin. You know it is bad when she told me she was proud of me.

10. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

Can't do that...those Scholastic catalogs come in and I've already spent the $20 needed for shipping... :)

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 7, 2007

I never have to worry about shipping. We always mangage to spend enough to get free shipping. And when I say we, I usually mean me. Although my students spent close to $200 this order!:2up:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 7, 2007

Throw away Scholastic book orders! :eek:hmy: I can't believe it! Oh my! I could never do that! :whistle:

13. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 7, 2007

I have well over 1000. I counted once about three years ago, and I had 1000+ then; I add more every month with my Scholastic points.

I took a class a few years ago where the professor recommended at least 10 books per student in the class.

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 7, 2007

I don't sort mine at all. I want the kids to read anything and everything! I will help them find one based on their interests. If I recommend a book, kids are more likely to read it. Believe it or not, I know approximately where each book is!

One of the eighth graders came to me the other day for a recommendation! Kinda cool!

15. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

Ya, my kids from last year still come to me for books. It's sometimes funny..."You didn't have this last year!" one of my boys said...but it just came out three months ago! :)

16. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

I have hardly any...I haven't counted, but I'd say maybe 50-100 books altogether. I have enough to fill two shelves of a bookcase, and that is after bringing some books from home to add variety. (My kids don't know I "stole" their books, lol...) The "library" is just pitiful--our school has no library, and each teacher has a selection in their classroom that is pretty small. I am pretty sure that the readers in my class have read every book we have already, and the kids who don't enjoy reading definitely have nothing they haven't seen before to look at, since there are only a few books that interest some of them.

I just sent in my Sept book club order though and I am excited--the kids are getting enough books that I am getting 2000 bonus points so I am getting four boxed sets and some other books. I'll probably double our library with this order, lol. I hope I get this kind of turnout on future orders--our room really needs more books and I can't afford to go buy out Borders to make that happen. ;)

17. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 7, 2007

That is sad no t to have a library! You should definately get as many as you can. i co teach and we have a pityful selection. I'm going to buy some this weekend!

18. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Sep 7, 2007

Kermy, check Goodwill stores. Paperbacks for $.60! :)

19. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 7, 2007

that's great! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.