How many books for a classroom library?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher2Be2007, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

The title sort of says it all. How many books do you have in your classroom library? How many books is a good number to start your classroom library with?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

I teach first grade and a leveled library which also has some author and genre bins. I would say that i have about 200 books in there.
    This is separate from my guided reading library.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2007

5. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

It takes a lot of time for classroom libraries to grow. If you dont' get funding from your school, it is simply too expensive to start with 600 books. I have bought probably 3/4ths of the books in my classroom independent library so I know it'll take a long time until my library is close to being right... but... it's what I have and it's what I have to work with right now.

7. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

I totally agree. It's suggesting I have 300-600 books. I'll be lucky if I have half of that when I start! It's just not feasible for me to go out and buy all these books. I've been checking ebay out and I'm going to go to a swap meet this weekend to see if I can get some good deals there.

8. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 16, 2007

I was just wondering this myself.
    EEEK! I start in my classroom next week and I only have about 15 books that I own that I can bring in (I'm brand new to teaching). I'm going out to thrift stores and stuff tomorrow to see what I can find! I don't have a lot of $$ until I start collecting a paycheck!
    I was hoping to check out a large selection from the media center for my room. I'll just have to squeak by with that for the time being!!!
    ~MsSub

9. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 16, 2007

I'm in the same boat as you (first classroom, I start in 2 weeks though)... check out ebay for lots of books. I found a deal that equated to less than .50 a book and I got 170 of them. I figured that'd get me by for a bit! :lol:

Yard/Garage sales too!

Congrats on your job!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2007

Yard and garage sales
    Libraries (often have book sales 25 cents a book?)
    Goodwill/Salvation Army thrift stores
    Be choosy though. You still want good titles.

Join Scholatic book clubs and start racking up points. They also usually have a 5o books for $50 deal some time during the school year....

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2007

I have also heard of people writing a letter to parents saying that if they are ever getting rid of books that their children are finished with, would they consider donating them to the classroom library.
    I got two bags of great books last year. You may have to weed through the ones that aren't useable but it's worth a try!!

12. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

It will take time for your libray to grow. I have been to many garage sales, salvation army and also to used book stores.
    I save up my scholastic book club points too.
    I have had parents donate books, and my mom (a school secretary) buys books for me too.
    I have books according to genre....that way if I am short in one area, I know which kind I need more of! Good luck!

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 3, 2007

I'm a new teacher and I've accumulated a nice size library this summer. Here has what has been helpful:
    1. Goodwill/Salvation Army- Very cost effective and many times I've found hardly used/popular books
    2. Libraries often has discharge sales and books are dirt cheap
    3. I got a lot of books from my personal library from when I was a child. Like all my American Girl, etc.
    4. Scholastic Book Orders-If sign up as a new teacher you get so many bonus points, coupons, etc.

Good luck and happy reading!

14. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Oct 4, 2007

The library in the town where I teach actually gave away free books to teachers that they were selling to everyone else. I got 60 books and 8 books on tape all for free. It might be worth a try to see if your local library would do that for teachers.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2007

This is my first year in 5th after having taught kinder (have over 200 kinder picture books)

When I moved up to fifth, I left a message in the lounge for books. I ended up with over 1000 books for my library. I also organize by genres. About 200 are from my own collection, while the rest were given to me by teachers. :wub: