How many binders do you have?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Aug 26, 2012.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

I think I have too many;

1. My lesson plans and immediate info binder for planning.

2. My back up binder with more detailed info about students, more private info, questionaires, etc.

3. My DATA book, or grade book, with testing results, and other info I need for grading. This info goes into my online gradebook and I'm relying less on this book. Most grading goes right to online.

Other binders are standards and subject related.

Is this too many? I'm feeling inefficient.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 26, 2012

I have binder where I keep my students' information sheets that they fill out at the beginning of the year. I photocopy a "communication log" on the back of each one so I can document any of my interactions with their parents/guardians. Anything I get throughout the year that pertains to a particular student just goes behind the appropriate information sheet. (Sometimes IEPs are a little too bulky and I need to keep them in a separate file.)

That's the only binder that I use on a daily basis. My plan book and gradebook are both spiral bound, so I don't put any of that information in binders.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

I have my main binder, which has schedules, contact information, meeting notes, etc. That one also has my grade book. I am using a separate plan book this year (the school bought them for us). I also have an assessment binder with a section for each student. I have my reading/writing conferring binder. I have a file drawer with a folder for each student that holds parent surveys, work samples, etc. A few other binders hold certain materials, but I don't use them often.

I guess it depends how you use them and how big they are. Could you combine any of them? Do you find yourself needing to grab more than one at a time to complete certain tasks?

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 26, 2012

I think having a bunch of binders is way more organized than just having random paper pile ups or tons of folders! I need to set up some more because right now I'm in the "everything is in a random place" stage.

I type my lesson plans up on a document and just reference that throughout the day if I need to. I think I'm just going to keep a running folder for that on my computer so I don't have to make another binder. If I printed them out anyway, it would make sense just to save paper copies, but I don't so that's kind of a waste of paper. If I happen to be in the exact same job next year I can just go back to my computer document and tweak little things as necessary.

I will make an RtI binder so that I can have all of my data and notes and things for that since I have several kids I want to send through this year.

I'm thinking about just using a big binder for all of the "routine" things- behavior documentation, parent contacts, etc. I use an online gradebook but I would also print off copies every once in a while just in case something happens, and keep those in that binder also.

My district sets a pacing guide and aligns everything to standards/common core, so I don't really need to worry about that. Sometime in the future I might try to make binders with resources for each subject, but right now I just have to much on my plate with it being my first year in a new position. That's one of my "let go" things so I'm not spending my life working.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2012

I have tons of binders. They don't all get regular use, though. These are the ones I use regularly.

• one for grade book
    • one for daily lesson notes (like plan book)
    • one for each unit (5 total)
    • one for student data
    • one for substitutes
    • one for common core standards
    • one for state standards, program of studies, and other stuff for "the test"
    • one for the yearly stuff--duty rosters, class rosters, log-in information, etc.
    • one for parent contacts & notes about kids

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I have:
    ~a general binder
    ~student information binder
    ~ARD binder
    ~accommodations for testing
    ~course binder

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

I have tons of binders too. I have four for the subject I am currently teaching. Four for another subject I sometimes teach. I have a binder for HR type stuff (evidence for evaluations, copy of my license, etc). A binder each for the different clubs/groups I coach or help with. And a student information binder. As of right now, that's 14 different binders. They help keep me organized.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

Just 3: one for alg 2, one for geo, and one for student info/other "class business". I'll probably get more as I teach more classes.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

One for each different prep I'm teaching.

So this year, one.

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

Not to change the subject BUT what is with the Like Asian women? Pop Up that I have on the page right now? :eek:
    No thank you! I like men!
    Rebel1

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

I'm seeing Celebrity Cruises and Disney Dining plan. :D

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

I think I have more than that. I need to be more organized with them this year.

I have...
    -my lesson plan binders 1. math 2. reading 3. writing 4. science/ss
    -my data binder
    -student info (contact information, letters to/from parents, etc.)
    -pacing calendars/standards

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

Sorry Heavens54:angel: about the subject change. It won't happen again.

It was before that. It had a BIG busted Asian woman on it. I know it's a boob job 'cause I have not seen any Asian woman with that much on her chest, ever. It stated that these women will persuade you.
    Rebel1

15. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 26, 2012

I have:

-lesson plan binder
    -general teacher binder
    -no homework binder
    -binders for each subject with lesson plans
    -binder with grammar lesson plans
    -binder with lesson plans for lit stories
    -AR binder
    -the class that I sponsor has a binder for their info
    and
    -stu-co binder

I think that's it.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2012

What's a no homework binder?

If you guys have a binder for each subject that you teach (intermediate), what's in it?

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

So let me get this straight. I'm gonna give you $300,000, and we're gonna go out and make a lot of stuff, tschotske stuff, we'll make a lot of bears, a lot of games, none of it will sell, and then I'll kill you?

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2012

I have one very organized binder. Everything else is electronic or in a filing cabinet.

19. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2012

:lol::eek::lol:

20. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 30, 2012

No Homework binder: I have one class in which half the kids have trouble turning in their work. I don't assign homework everyday. In fact, they have enough time to work on their assignment in class but if they don't finish they have to take it home. The class that has trouble also has parents who can come up with every excuse: they didn't understand the work, they never heard the assignment and so on. So, if they don't have their work. They fill out a paper with the assignment and reason it hasn't been finished. So far this year, I have a few "didn't feel like its" and one "I told my mom I didn't have homework so I could go to a friend's house."

There is a new kid in the class and he did have the assignment and he did not make a very good grade. He was very upset. He told his mom that I didn't tell him the whole assignment. She called and I told her that everyone else who turned in their work did the whole assignment. She said that sounded like a more believable story than the one her daughter gave her.

As for my course binders: lesson plans on different skills, things that go with our lit stories or novels.

I like binders much more than the file cabinet.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 30, 2012

Currently, I have one binder for the admin copy of my lesson plans (stays in the same place so they can check them when they come in), one for student information/parent contact information (I also keep referral copies in there), and one 1/2 inch binder for my gradebook. I have a new binder I'm planning to use for my reading "pensieve" (re: daily 5), and one I'm thinking of using for my math pensieve.

Most of my stuff is on my "brain," a 500gb portable hard drive. However, all things electronic can/do eventually fail, so I'm considering having smaller binders at home - one for each standard for each subject... I hope this makes sense....

BTW - I back up my "brain" on my personal laptop.

22. goth_teach

goth_teach Rookie

Sep 2, 2012

I have:
    1 biology binder
    1 chemistry binder
    1 art binder
    1 "traveling" binder (goes home with me to grade work in the evening)
    1 informational binder (school directory, parent correspondance, etc)

23. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 2, 2012

I have a general info binder with schedules and printouts that I need to keep handy. One binder has the year at a glance for all subjects, and one for the current units for my subjects (ELAR, math, social studies, and science). I don't have a sub tub this year, but put everything into a binder I bought on zazzle.com. In the closet, I keep binders for the subject curriculum by grading period.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 2, 2012

I only have two binders:

The first binder has all of my Common Formative Assessments (CFAs) for LA and Math.

The second binder has all of my Curriculum Leadership Team (CLT) info/notes/important documents. I am the 2nd grade team leader, so there are lots of important things to keep in that binder.

Everything else is kept in electronic folders on my computer.

25. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 3, 2012

11 student binders containing IEPs, student data, and select student work. (I figured this will be easier to grab for meetings and such.)

1 literacy/CAFE binder

1 math binder

1 flexi binder. This thing is my life. It has my calendar, to do lists, contact info, rosters, etc.

I'm pretty sure everything else is online. I may end up with a Social Studies and Science binder too. :dunno:

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

Um, I have about 15 binders. Plus a calendar.

- Teacher Binder O'Stuff: Lesson plans, attendance, seating charts, phone log, data documentation, standards, etc
    - 1 each for different areas in my subject - vocab, grammar, short stories, writing, poetry, mythology, drama, etc
    - 1 each for the two novels I teach
    - 1 FCAT prep
    - 1 CCSS and related material
    - 1 for a workshop I do every year
    - 1 meeting binder (all handouts for the year go in there so I'm not constantly searching for them!)
    - 1 school binder - has protocols and evac manual

I'm missing a couple...

It's my first year on a binder system rather than files. LOVE IT so far... no more searching to find something/put something away!

27. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 3, 2012

Please don't make me count! LOL

1. Student Example Binder

2. Lesson Plan Binder

3. Meetings Binder - Section for LA Meetings, Faculty meetings, etc.

4. Graphic Organizer Binder (Divided by purpose)

5. Language Arts Resource Binder

6. History Resource Binder

7. Teacher Binder - Bell Schedule, Rosters, Seating Charts, IEPs, etc.

8. Reading in the Content Area Resource Binder

9. DBQ Binder

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

None. I keep everything online. I should print my lesson plans and stick them in a binder at some point.

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 4, 2012

I used to have a binder for every unit in each course I taught. I keep everything now on my school server, which I can access from anywhere with internet and is backed up on a daily basis.

30. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2012

I don't have any.

Everything is on my iPad. I use Circus Ponies Notebook on my MacBook and my iPad and sync them. I have all of my lesson materials digitized and available via DropBox (or secure FTP server at home)

At school, we can access student IEPs and 504s through a secure app.

The iPad apps I use back up and sync daily with Dropbox or iCloud, so I don't worry about losing anything.

31. km51571

km51571 Companion

Sep 11, 2012

1 binder for my day-to-day stuff (schedules, data, standards, class lists)
    1 for each reading theme (6)
    2 for social studies
    1 for handwriting
    1 for fluency
    1 for novel units
    2 for season materials

32. treefrogs

treefrogs Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

I haven't used a binder for more than a week, I am just more of a folder/file/digital record person.

I do have one binder that holds behavior information, but I just use it to organize my folders. :)

33. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Sep 12, 2012

I currently have 21 binders (at my last count)....

12 binders- 1 for each of my caseload students that has their most recent IEP/ER report/Progress monitoring/Behavior Plans

3 binders for each subject I teach (I teach 2 different sections of Math, 3 different sections of Study Skills and 1 transitions class)

A progress monitoring binder with academic progress monitoring that I have pulled for all my students.

A behavior plan binder with copies behavior charts that are sent to teachers

A "class notes" binder with notes from classes students on my caseload are in

A Special Ed Binder with all the forms/information I need to be a successful Special Ed teacher at this district.

My Induction Binder

A online learning systems binder full of tests (this is a leftover binder from the teacher who had the class before me... it needs to go to the another teacher who took over the system, I just haven't gotten that far yet)

All these are labeled with my trusty labeler and organized. I love love love binders and obviously use them for EVERYTHING. It's much easier for me then stuffing papers into files.

ETA: I forgot the binders I share with another teacher that are full of all the progress monitoring tests we use at the secondary level. I believe there are 6 in all. Those are technically hers though, I just borrow the material. :)