How loud does it get in your class during centers?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Nov 3, 2008.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

I taught Kindergarten last year and during center time, they were pretty quiet while they worked at each center. This year I am teaching a 3's and 4's class and during centers they talk and laugh so loud while they work even though I keep reminding them to talk quieter or use their inside voices. They are pretty much doing what they are supposed to do at each center but the volume in the room just seems so loud to me. Is this normal for Preschoolers or do I need to keep working on them to use quieter voices?:eek:hmy:

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I would keep working on them to use quieter voices.

I don't expect my kids to be quiet as mice, but they also need to realize that you don't need to shout to get someone to hear you.

They need to know that some of the centers in the room are considered quiet areas. For example, I shouldn't be able to hear you from across the room when you are sitting in the library looking at a book with a friend.

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Nov 4, 2008

I have noticed my kids getting louder too! I think it might have something to do with the time of year with the holidays and all!

5. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I student taught in kindergarten and now I'm teaching fours, and honestly, I can't tell much difference in noise level. Maybe you just have a bunch of loud kids. I would just keep reminding them, and maybe you can demonstrate what kinds of voices are ok and which are too loud during your group time. Also, I make sure to do a loud motion song before centers so they get their loud words out. Sometimes I turn off one or two light switches and they tend to get quieter.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2008

My kids are sooooooo loud too!! I usually have to ring the bell and remind them to use quieter voices.

I don't think they realize how loud they are though. They're too busy having a great time socializing; which is what I want. Sometimes it comes with the territory though.

7. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 5, 2008

I modeled the volume on the CD player for my 4 & 5 year olds. I showed them what a 1-5 sounded like and then I showed them what a 25-30 sounded like. Now I remind them to turn their volumes down to a 5 (or a 1) like the CD player (or a t.v. and they understand.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2008

This is a great idea, TGI. Thanks for sharing. I'm gona try this one tomorrow!