how long?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kermy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. kermy

kermy Companion

Feb 20, 2007

how long did it take you to get your first teaching job? I'm getting very ddepressed. I like my small town and the surrounding areas but if i don't get a job in the next year I just don't know what i'm going to do:(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2007

Hi Kermy,

I'm sorry it's so difficult. This part of the country is brutal as well. (Although, as a math teacher who could coach debate, it wasn't a big issue for me personally.)

Would you consider relocating to a part of the country like Vegas that needs teachers? There is a thread on "Where the Jobs Are"-- why not send out some applications just to test the waters??

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 20, 2007

I graduated college in 2001 and this is my first year teaching.

5. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 20, 2007

I graduated from college in December 94. I landed my first job as an aide on November 1, 1995. I was an aide with a handicap child in 3rd grade and then the next year I was an aide in Kindergarten with another handicap child. Only one job came open in 97 at that school and I started teaching 1st grade. All I can say is, if you are not subbing you don't have to much of a chance. At least that is how it is here. You have to first show them what you got. I started subbing in 1990 while attending a community college. I went to school on Mon, Wed, Fri. and subbed on Tues. and Thursday. When I went to a four year college I had to stop subbing but as soon as I graduated I started subbing again. I also had a part time personally owned business I worked for that told me that if I was called to sub that I should go do it. If you want to stay in that area then you sometimes have to take what ever is available until that job opens. Some of us are not as lucky to land that job right out of college. Teachers are getting harder to come by and eventually some of the teachers in your area will have to retire. Some years there are alot more turnovers than others. Hang tight! The right job will come. Don't get discouraged.

6. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 20, 2007

I subbed for 3 years! Hang in there; get your good name out there and don't give up!

7. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Feb 20, 2007

I got my job right out of college, but, I needed to relocate to Texas from Iowa. There is tremendous growth in Texas and not so much in Iowa!!! :(

8. kermy

kermy Companion

Feb 21, 2007

Thanks so much for your advice everyone! it has helped a lot!

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Feb 21, 2007

Come to NC-we still need lots of teachers!

10. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 21, 2007

So does Virginia.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2007

I graduated several years ago in December, went directly into a long term position, interviewed in a district that I never subbed in and got hired. I almost didn't go to the interview. It was at a huge job fair and I told my hubby that no one gets hired there but he pushed me to go for the experience. At the job fair I talked in length to the superintenent and she said to call her the next day. I did and went in to see her and got hired. That was pure luck. Just keep trying and try not to get to discouraged, the time will come.

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 21, 2007

I graduated last year and I'm about to send out another round of resumes in a few weeks. No jobs here I'm afraid, but I have a big family and they are all here, I can't bring myself to leave just for a job. Soooo we keep trying! Keep our fingers crossed for each other ;)

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 21, 2007

I graduated in 2001 and took a private school job. The job market is tough here in Northern NJ too. I worked a private school and went for my masters. Once I had my masters I was able to find a public school job and also by then I had 4 years under my belt.