How long will you commute?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CrayolaCrayon, Feb 21, 2014.

1. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Feb 21, 2014

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide how far I am willing to commute for a teaching position. Since I live in NYC, this can potentially range from a quick car drive to a 1.5 hour commute with a bus and trains.

This made me wonder: How long are you willing to commute? And current teachers, how long do you commute to get to your school?

CrayolaCrayon

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 21, 2014

My commute is about an hour and a half drive one way. 700 miles a week, three hours a day, $500 a month in gas. I like the school, but the commute is destroying me. I'm trying to find something closer.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 21, 2014

My commute is anywhere from one to four hours, depending on traffic. You get used to it if you end up in a good enough position.

5. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 21, 2014

I think what is reasonable depends a lot on the area where you live. I drive around 25 minutes to work each day and honestly would prefer to be a bit closer. I can't imagine wanting to do a commute of more than 40 minutes one way.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 21, 2014

I am four miles from my school, and that's my longest commute. For years I was a mile from the school, then two miles to our new building. Then I moved across town, so it's four miles. I like being close to school so I can easily do school-related activities as needed.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2014

Last year I applied to jobs that were up to an hour away, but they were in more rural areas where that hour would be pretty much traffic free. One hour in heavy traffic every day would drive me crazy! I currently drive about 20 minutes in moderate traffic, and a lot of people at my school think I live "far away!"

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 21, 2014

I can hit 10 different school districts within an hour drive, so I wouldn't go beyond that.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 21, 2014

I would drive up to 45 minutes one way, after that I'd consider moving closer.
    Right now I live in a small city (very small, pop. 60,000) and I'm only 7 minutes from my school. The closest 'big city' (with half a million population, so it's not that big) is about 15-20 minutes away, but not sure how it would be with traffic in the morning, easily 30-45 minutes. I figured I go to work 5 days / week, but I only go out once or maybe twice a week, so it makes sense to be closer to school and not to the bigger city.

10. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 21, 2014

About 20 minutes...wouldn't go beyond 30 minute commute.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 22, 2014

I commute about 20-25 minutes currently. I'm with waterfall - it would really depend on the traffic situation for me. An hour with no traffic is a lot different than an hour sitting in traffic!

I'm job searching as well. The maximum commute I'm considering is about 40 minutes, but my preferred max is about 20. I'm not in an area with common public transportation like NYC. If I had that involved, I would consider a longer commute, since I could get work done on the train.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2014

It takes me anywhere between 5 to 9 minutes depending on how I hit the lights.

13. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 22, 2014

Anything under an hour would feel luxuriant to me at this point. I am looking for anything within an hour's drive. It's all relative.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2014

I have 90 miles one way, traffic free. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes.

I'm going to temporarily move at the beginning of March. I'm getting an apartment and I will sleep there Mon-Thurs. I will stay at my parents' house on Friday-Sunday night.

I honestly don't mind the time in the car, but the miles on my car are killing me. I have a 2012, and it already has 42,000 miles on it. It would have almost 60,000 if I continue to commute daily for the rest of the year.

I plan on looking for jobs closer for next year. I do feel fortunate because I can be picky. I get to scratch a lot of districts that I'm not crazy about off of my list. If I don't get a job down here, I will continue the M-Th apartment thing.

15. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Feb 22, 2014

Giraffe, my 2001 car had over 320,000 and counting, but I slid off a curve in the rain and totaled it in October. I've put 16k on my replacement car since then.

Moving is not an option, so I keep my eyes open for something closer. On the bright side, my school is quite pleasant - particularly after the toxic one I left to work there. But now it's my sixth year there and the driving plus rather low pay have tipped the scale in favor of leaving, if I am able.

16. teach1

teach1 Companion

Feb 22, 2014

I think in order to answer this question, you need to take into consideration the type of commute...

Driving to work for one hour is very different than sitting in traffic for one hour. Taking a crowded subway line, and then changing 2 times onto other crowded subway lines is very different than sitting on a public bus where 90% of the time you get a seat.

OP - I lived in a big city. I used to live walking distance from my school, and then actually chose to move away from my school and have a 40 minute commute. I had no regrets about the move :)

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 22, 2014

I drive an hour each way - 80 km each way. I drive from a city to a rural school so my drive is pretty much traffic free. I have done this for 5 years and am getting tired. Hopefully I will find something closer this year (I can walk to 2 schools from my house - that would be my dream).

18. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 22, 2014

I've had similar circumstances with different jobs. Public transportation can be great as it gives you a chance to sit down and do work. If you have multiple transfers and no chance of a seat then it is a drain before you get to school. You are also limited in what you can bring home.

I've also driven solo and done carpools. They both have advantages. I'm able to decompress and keep my own hours with driving. When I carpooled my schedule was built around someone else - when to be picked up or pick them up. It also meant we could be in the carpool lane so I could sleep in. Currently I have too much going on after school to do a carpool. Too many errands and workshops away from the school site. I also bring home projects and materials so public transportation is out.

Timewise - up to one hour no matter what mode.

19. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2014

Last year I was 20 minutes from my school and down the street from my husband's office so I rode with him most days. The school situation was horrible and I hated it--put up with it for 2 years before throwing the towel in. This year I am an hour and fifteen minutes from school (I had taught at this school many years ago but had to leave because my children were young and the pay was low). I am in a different position in life now and can afford to work there again and would not leave for anything.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2014

My current commute is about 5 minutes. Before we moved here, it was between 15 and 30 minutes, depending on traffic.

I probably wouldn't want to drive more than 45 minutes.

If taking the train were an option, I might consider a longer commute, since I could just chill out and read a book or listen to music on the ride.

21. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 22, 2014

When I was unemployed and looking, I was willing to commute up to an hour. I was also willing to include travel over a bridge, which is generally fine, but occasionally can have bad traffic, and costs $5/day. Now that I have a secure job, I wouldn't consider switching unless the commute was less than 45 minutes each way. Also, I am no longer willing to take on a bridge commute. My current commute is around 20 minutes.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2014

My commute is about 45 minutes and it's mostly highway. I don't mind it, but it will be a little harder when my son is school age. Right now he comes with me to his sitter (who lives in the district where I teach). However, I've been here for 10 years, love my school, and have no desire to look for another job (I'm also only a few years away from longevity pay). We could move a little closer to where I teach, but having my parents (both retired) only 10 minutes away is more important to me. :)

23. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 22, 2014

At my middle school, I drove for about 15 minutes. But now for my high school, I drive about 5 minutes. I picked a good spot to live and teach. It was the same when I went to school. I went to those schools as a student. I also live in the same neighborhood as my parents (I got a great deal on the house)

24. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2014

I take have to take interstates I-695 and I-83 to work and depending on traffic, over an hour but usually 40-45 minutes.

This current commute is long enough for me.

25. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Feb 23, 2014

And I thought i was the only insane one. I drive 68 miles one way for an hour and 15 minutes. I live in a rural area. I cannot move to where I work for family reasons.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 23, 2014

When I was unemployed & looking I interviewed at a school that was an hour away. One of their questions was would I mind the commute. Um, no, I needed the job.

The school I ended up at is about 15 min. away.

I'm considering applying for a position as a consultant for an university. 50% of my time would be here & 50% about 3 hours away where the university is located. It would be a nice pay increase, especially since I will have 2 kids in college next fall. There's a group of them that do it now, but in the other direction. I don't think they spend quite 50% of there time here. But, yeah, the commute is one reason I'm not sure about applying.

27. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Feb 25, 2014

I currently drive 150 miles every day for work. In good weather, it takes an hour and 15 minutes each way. A good 60 miles is on I-80, so it's an easy drive. I've also become a much more confident driver during this first year of teaching alone - I've braved flash floods, monsoons, blizzards, and super windy and icy conditions. Becoming a better driver is a weird pro to add, but it's a pro nonetheless. :)

I drive from a suburban neighborhood located near the metro to a very rural school, so public transportation is not an option. We hope to finalize a sale on our house soon and move to a small town in between my current school and the city. That way, it cuts down my commute a lot, but we still live close enough to the city that I can keep my employment options open down the road.

28. bora

bora Rookie

Feb 25, 2014

10-30 minutes. I can't accept any job that is more than 30 min away. I have to give my kids a ride to bus stop.They take the bus between 7:30- 7:45 and then pick them up @4:30. So I can work only from 8:00-4:00.