How long to hold out hope? Should I follow up?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by miss-m, Jul 13, 2020.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 13, 2020

I had an interview the Thursday before last (before 4th of July weekend). Since I've been applying in this district for years and never heard anything, I had to do a screening interview (Tuesday), pass that (Wednesday), and then interview (Thursday). It seemed like the interview went well, she told me to add supervisor references (only had one and needed 3 "for next round") and last two evaluations. That had me thinking it went well and I was a shoo-in at least for a second interview. She said they had a few more interviews to do that day and the following week, but that I'd hear back either way.

Now it's been a week and a half and I've heard nothing. I don't know if my references have been contacted, though I did tell my principal she may be getting a call because I didn't tell her I was applying for jobs (see above, I didn't have any reason to think I'd be more successful this year than the past 6 years and didn't want to be out a job). I'm going to feel a little stupid at this point returning to my current school. I don't mind really -- I'll be on a good team -- I'm just not excited because things are not going to be what I was promised in the spring and I don't have a lot of faith in my district to handle COVID stuff well.

I don't know what to do. I REALLY want this job. Do I keep waiting? Do I reach out to the principal who interviewed me? Do I contact HR for an application status update? I've applied for other jobs in the district too, but haven't heard anything back on those (par for the course). Do I give up hope and accept that I'll be at my school for at least another year?

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2020

You could just give it some time. She may be deep into planning for next year, especially now that there has been so much talk of it in the media.

You could also just send a quick follow up email to the principal or HR (probably just one, not both). I don't think that would hurt either. Although, if it were me, I think I'd wait until the end of this week before doing that.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 14, 2020

If they had interviews last week, they might not be ready for round two quite yet. Things are a bit busier this year than normal, and principals may even still be off contract at this point. I’d give it until the end of the week then follow up.

miss-m likes this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 14, 2020

Follow up: I did end up emailing HR just for a general status update about the positions I've applied for, and the reply I got was that principals are on summer break until the 23rd so they may not be reviewing applications yet. That explains at least why I haven't heard back from any of the others yet. The state board meeting is today and tomorrow re: school reopening plans, so they may be waiting on that as well...