How Long Should I Wait for An Answer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dragonflym, Mar 26, 2012.

  1. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 26, 2012

    Hi everyone! I had a second interview last Thursday and the interviewer said that she would be in touch with me after she checked my references. How long should I wait before trying to get in touch with her? Or if I don't hear from her by a certain amount of days should I just move on to something else? I do have other interviews coming up this week, but I do really like the school I had the second interview for. Thanks everyone for any advice on the topic.
     
  2.  
  3. HOPE-fulTeacher

    HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    263
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 26, 2012

    I'd wait at least a week before contacting them. They might've had something else at the school come up that's delayed the process, or they might take awhile to get ahold of all your references too. Contacting them at the end of this week or beginning of next week will let them know that you're still interested (and waiting) ;) without coming across as pushy or impatient.
     
  4. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 26, 2012

    Thanks! That's what I thought, but I sooooo want to know already. Found out that I'm going back for a third interview sometime this week, and I have interviews at two different sites this week. :)
     
  5. mmswm

    mmswm Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Messages:
    5,621
    Likes Received:
    6

    Mar 26, 2012

    If you don't hear from them by the end of the week, it would be appropriate to contact them and let them know that you have other schools that are interested in you, but you don't want to commit to anybody else until you've heard back from them. If they want you, it'll push them to move faster and if they don't want you, they'll let you know so you can focus your energies on the other schools. Good luck!
     
  6. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Mar 26, 2012

    Send a thank you note and keep interviewing elsewhere. Don't eliminate any possibilities until you have a guaranteed offer.
     
  7. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 27, 2012

    Thank you mmswm and czacza. I did send a thank you note out on Sunday evening and I'm not sure if that's what did it or what but I just got off the phone with the regional director and I was offered a position at another one of their centers! She wants me to call her back tomorrow after noon and let her know what my decision is. It's a little farther away than I had hoped, they have other centers closer to me and I do have two interviews later this week but it is tempting. Thanks again everyone.
     
  8. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Mar 27, 2012

    Congrats on the offer! What did you tell them? You can always ask for a few days to think over an offer with your family to keep your options with the other interviews. Once you make a commitment though, I'd stick to it. :)
     
  9. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Mar 27, 2012

    Call tomorrow and tell them you have two interviews scheduled fr this week and that you would like until Monday.
     
  10. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 28, 2012

    Thank you leighball and czacza. I think I'm going to take the offer, depending on the specifics. It's just always felt "right" from the get go to work for this company and I do miss working, this has been the longest I've gone without a job in a long time. If the terms are agreeable I'll end up calling the other two places and tell them that I have taken another offer but thank you for the consideration. I don't want to burn any bridges until I have my feet firmly on the other side as it were. Thanks again everyone. :)
     
  11. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 28, 2012

    Congrats! Hopefully all the details work out in your favor. I would definitely ask to see the center and meet the staff where you will be working before turning down other interviews and accepting an offer.
     
  12. NJSocialStudies

    NJSocialStudies Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2011
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 28, 2012

    Regional directors, centers, bait and switch work locations...is it Huntington Learning Center you work for?
     
  13. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Mar 28, 2012

    Mopar has a good idea! Keep us posted! :)
     
  14. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 30, 2012

    Thanks everyone for the advice. OK, here's basically how the past three days went, I called the Regional Director back on Wednesday after noon as she requested. I told her that I was, indeed interested in the position. She said that she would let the director of the center know and then she would pass on my info. to set up an interview with her. An hour later I received an e-mail telling me that the director was checking out the references of two other people and if she was interested in interviewing me she would get back to me late Friday or early Monday. OK, color me surprised because when I spoke to the Regional Director it sounded like a done deal, they were just waiting to find out if I wanted the position.
    Needless to say I did not cancel my other two interviews and after getting back from a fantastic one I received an e-mail from the Regional Director again telling me that the director of the other center is interested and will call me sometime next week to set up an interview. I already have a second interview scheduled for the center I interviewed at today on April 10 to see how I interact with the kids and other staff.
     
  15. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Mar 31, 2012

    Glad that you didn't cancel the other interviews. Sounds like some positive steps to come! Good luck!
     
  16. leighbball

    leighbball Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    Messages:
    7,507
    Likes Received:
    3

    Mar 31, 2012

    Things sound positive! Good luck on your upcoming interviews. My fingers are crossed that we will soon add you to the 2012-13 jobs list!!
     
  17. dragonflym

    dragonflym Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0

    Apr 5, 2012

    Thanks everyone for the support on this! :) OK when it rains it pours, I finally have an interview today with the director of the center where I thought I had the job at last week. I got a call this morning from another center to set up a second interview on Monday to see how I interact with the children and staff and that director told me they were ready to offer me the position if everything goes well. I still have another next Tuesday at the other center to see how I interact with the children there. I will try to go to all three with a very open mind to see where I fit in best and to see what fits me best. Thanks again everyone! :)
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. miss-m
Total: 192 (members: 3, guests: 169, robots: 20)
test