How long is your ST?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by MrsCheerio, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MrsCheerio

MrsCheerio Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

I was reading a post about paying student teachers and saw a couple mentions of ST teaching only being one term for some people. It made me curious about ST requirements in other areas. So, how long is your placement?

In my program, we have about 15 weeks of part time (2.5 days/wk) ST one term and 11 weeks full time ST the next term. Once finished, we'll be able to teach preK - 8th grade (in a self contained classroom).

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 20, 2008

At the the college I graduated from, you have 80 observation hours and 20 prepracticum teaching hours going into student teaching. Then, student teaching is a full semester, 16 weeks full time in the same classroom.

4. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

Mine was about the same. I had 60 hrs in each practicum I-III and then did my 16 weeks in the same classroom.

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 20, 2008

My college does one semester student teaching. You do all day, every day from January to May or August to December, whichever your term is.

6. ReadytoTeach

ReadytoTeach Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

At the University of Alabama where I go, student teaching is only one term. We have one lower grades elementary placement half the semester, and an upper grades elementary placement the second half.
    Before student teaching, though, we have three semesters before that where we are in the classroom. We observe 40 hours the first semester, then teach 2 days a week (160 hours) the second semester, and teach 3 days a week (270 hours) the third semester. This is all before our student teaching.

7. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2008

I did 21 full weeks.

8. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Dec 22, 2008

12 weeks.

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Dec 22, 2008

my school has at least full 12 weeks required - more if your state requires more.

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 23, 2008

Guess I should add - you have 9 hours observation in Phase I, 60 hours in Phase II and I believe 60 hours in Phase III. Phases 2 & 3 are more hands-on, as much as the host teacher allows.

11. MSMath29

MSMath29 Rookie

Dec 23, 2008

My school its 35 hrs for Practicum 1-3, 60 full days of student teaching, and 6 hours each for all of the methods courses.

12. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Dec 23, 2008

We did have a "junior field" placement, before ST. That was only 2 days a week for about a 4 hours a day, for the whole semester - we had to teach at least 6 lessons, while mostly getting a feel for the field.

Mine actual ST was a full semester divided into 2 placements. I guess that equals out to 16 weeks total. For each placement, you pretty much followed the schedule that your cooperating teacher thought was best. Some ST's started teaching the first week, others waited a week or two to start teaching. Personally, I did observations/helped out for the first week then started teaching the 2nd week. For each following week, another grade would be added on every week. (since i'm a K-12 cert) By the final week of my placement, I had every grade in the building: K-8. It was also full time, 5 days a week.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2008

350 hours, divided into three units. Has to include a decent amount of full days, the rest can be split up according to your schedule.

14. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 28, 2008

my student teaching is one semester divided in to two placements with one high and one low grade. but i have had to complete a number of hours of observations and teaching of lessons for previous classes some were like 6 hours and write a paper due at the end of the semester and others were go in to a school and teach 3 lessons before the end of the semester and one of my teachers actually went above and beyond and set up placements with our whole class in a school and we met there 2 days a week for most of our class and then met in the conference room to turn in stuff and have brief discussions.
    last semester we had practicum which was 2 days a week for like 2 and 1/2 hours a day and we had certain things we had to accomplish
    an I will be student teaching in about a week:woot: