How long is your contract?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chicagoturtle, Jul 21, 2008.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

People are always making comments when they get a job about "signing a contract." I never signed one. Ours is a HUGE BOOK. I signed an "enrollment packet" to the district, but I do not have to sign a new contract every year. We got a new (ugly purple) book to place our old blue book this year finally in like January. It is 270 pages long and the size of a minibook. It covers all members of the CTU- but the other unions in the district have their own contracts- not sure how long or thick they are. So how long is yours- is it just one single piece of paper?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

We no longer get "contracts" to sign. We get salary agreements that we keep a copy of but never actually sign anything.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

We have a ONE PAGE contract... it only lasts a year. Everyone is on a year to year contract, no tenure, no union... private school.

But our contract says we need to read and follow the teacher handbook, which is about 30 pages long!

5. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 21, 2008

We sign an actual contract for one year. We sign it every year at our spring review.

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

Mine is three pages. Private School. Everything they expect, everything i have to attend, how much I get paid. whether I spread my pay out over 22 or 26 pay periods. Dates, responsibilities,etc.

7. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

My county gives you a 1 year contract to sign the first 3 years then its a contract to sign that says your tenured. I didn't have to sign one this year just got a copy of my renewal of tenure contract. Oh and they are all one page long.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2008

I acutally sign a one page contract that states date and time signed, contract length, and states both corporation and I will follow all rules and regs found in contract. The Contract is probably about 40 pages front and back.

9. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

I don't sign anything. Our contract is negotiated every three years(some districts in my area are going to 5 year contracts)by members of the union negotiating team. They present the final contract to the members and it is voted on. The union president, vice president (or sometimes co presidents) sign it for all union members and non members when it is passed.

10. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

The association signs the long, multi-page contract. Nontenured teachers sign a one page contract. Tenured teachers sign a letter of intent to return.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

I signed a one page "Offer of Employment". It includes the collective bargaining agreement with the union by reference. It is a small book.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 21, 2008

Yes, it is a one page contract. However, the employee handbook was a large book as you described. Now, the handbook is on the district website instead of giving out employee handbooks.

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

I got a one year contract (new employees are year to year until the end of the third year) and it's one page front and back. You get and sign two copies. You keep one and the district keeps one. Then I got an employee handbook that's about 135 long and you have to sign a page acknowledging that you received it and agreeing that you will act in accordance.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

We also get employee handbooks too. Those are developed and individualized at each school. This is in addition to the contract. Our contract is online on the union website- but they still gave us a paper version.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 21, 2008

The contract itself is HUGE! It's all online, but printed out...fits in an 1" binder, easily.

However, our signed contracts are called Classroom Agreements, I believe.

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2008

One page, signed at the end of every school year for the following year. (I am not tenured, so I dont know if it will change) :)

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 21, 2008

We sign a LETTER OF RE-EMPLOYMENT or something of that sort. It is dated and requires that we sign it & return by a certain date. The letter states how long our "year" is and the salary/step we are at. It is signed by our superintendent and the head of the school board. The contract itself is a booklet about 50 pgs long. We get a copy of it every other year after the new contract is negotiated.

A word to the wise... always make a copy of this letter for your records.

18. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

We also sign contracts every October. Our contracts are three pages long...one is the base salary, the second is our stipened for our responsiblity contract, and the last one pertains to having money with held out of your check for childcare, education, etc.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2008

Our is a 1 pager. I think it's officiallly called Offer of Employment. We don't have a union, & we are at will employees. We sign the contracts by the end of June.

We also sign the employee handbook, which is probably about 50 pages long. We do that in August.

20. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

The "big book contract" is the agreement between our union and the board.... that's different from our yearly teaching contract. In my district the non tenured teachers sign a yearly contract (1 page)... once you are tenured you don't need to sign it anymore.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2008

Non-tenured teachers sign a one-page contract that lasts for one year.

Tenured teachers sign a multi-page (four, I think) contact when they are given tenure. That lasts as long as the person is employeed by the district.

Now, we have a teacher's handbook from the district, but that's not something we sign.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2008

There is a one page salary agreement/contract for the year. This is what we sign.

There is also a booklet of the official working contract as negotiated by our union and the board. This isn't signed but is considered a 'copy of your contract'.

We also have a BIG binder of district policies, guidelines and regulations.

23. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008

Same thing here.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2008

The two districts that I've taught in, the contracts have been one page long detailing salary and contracted days. We sign a separate page acknowledging that we've read the handbook.

25. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I have a salary agreement and then a book from the union with the actual contract spelled out. It's been the same in my last two schools....my first one I didn't even do that since I was tenured. Back to rookie status for me :)

26. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2008

I signed a one page agreement with the district when first hired. The association and the school district have a signed agreement following the vote. The union contract is a couple hundred pages long.

27. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 22, 2008

I signed a contract when I started teaching; after that you are rehired unless you get a letter of non-renewal or unrequested leave of absence or you choose to resign!