How long is your commute?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by willow129, Jul 27, 2014.

1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jul 27, 2014

I just got a new job and I will be living in the next town over from my school but the commute will be 10 minutes. YAY!! :) And one stop light hahaha. So different from my urban job where I was in the next town over and it was about a half hour depending on traffic and the stop and go traffic was so frustrating!

I wanted to be able to take public transportation in the city and I would have been able to very easily, a bus goes pretty much from my front door to the school that I was hired by. However, I found out after I accepted the job that I was going to be traveling between two different schools every day and trying to take a bus in that situation was way too crazy so I ended up driving everyday.

I do believe in cutting down on driving as much as possible for environmental reasons and also for ones own sanity!!! So I'm super excited about my short commute :)

How long is your commute to school? Do you prefer having a long commute or a short one?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

40 miles. It's 45 minutes with no traffic, coming home is generally an hour and a half, but can be up to 4 hours. I hate the commute, but getting a job where I live or living close to where I work are not options financially.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2014

45 minutes. I prefer a longer commute. I love that time to veg in the car and talk to my parents. I've had a long commute even in high school though. My high school was 50 minutes away and I drove in with my dad who worked about five minutes away from the school. In college my horses were an hour away on the turnpike. I've never known anything else!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I've had from two minutes to seventy minutes. I like the short commutes the best, but long commutes are doable. I listened to audiobooks and did a lot of planning in my head as well as thinking about how to help individual students during the drive. Most of my teaching years, I had at least a thirty minute commute each way. That was a nice amount of time to wind down from the day.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 27, 2014

I'm 4 miles from school. It's rural, so it is fast. I rarely make it through one song on the radio.

This is the longest commute I've ever had. When I first started teaching, I was only a mile from work. Then they built a new school and doubled my commute to two miles. Then I moved and doubled it again to 4 miles.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2014

I'm giving up my 180 mile daily commute for a 9 mile one. SOOO happy! In my 7 previous years of teaching, I've never been under 35 minutes.

8. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 27, 2014

My new school is a 20 minute drive from my house. My last school was a 45 minute commute, which was a nightmare with having to leave at 6:15 every day to get my son to daycare before work.

Now my son's babysitter is in the neighborhood and I can leave by 7:00. :D

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

Mine is about 5.5 miles, which takes around 12-15 minutes.

10. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 27, 2014

45 min in the am, 1 1/2- 2 hours in pm. Last snow storm=8 hours to get home

11. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jul 27, 2014

10-12 minutes, 4 1/2 miles. I prefer shorter because I really don't like driving, etc. But, I have driven 45 minutes each way. Wouldn't want to go over an hour. Sometimes it depends on the drive, too. But, sometimes one does what is needed!!

12. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

If I hit the signal lights right, I can make it in 7 minutes.

Chele :)

13. chitown

chitown Companion

Jul 27, 2014

I just traded a 45 minute commute for about 20 minutes. I am so excited!!!

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 27, 2014

20 miles, or 20-35 minutes. 35 will be on the way home because there is massive freeway construction (that I found out about after I moved here...UGH) and I have to take a weird route home.

I've typically always commuted about 20 minutes, even for part time jobs in college. I like having a bit of a commute time to think and prepare in the morning and process and unwind in the afternoon. I think my ideal would be a bit shorter than what I have now, but I personally wouldn't like having an extremely short commute. I'm weird, I guess. lol.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2014

I think you guys just like to rub it in for those of us with an hour or more each way. I am happy for you, just wish it was the same for me, too.

16. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

I live about five minutes from school. During the warmer days, I can even walk. The only problem with that is that I sweat easily. But I like not having a commute. I enjoy coming home early, and cooking dinner for my wife. She drives for about half an hour to her office every day, and doesn't get home until 530 at the earliest.