How long is your commute to school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Less than 10 minutes one way.

2. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

My husband bikes 15 miles a day, round trip. He has a milk crate mounted to the back of his bike for his messenger bag, and he also wears a backpack with change of clothes. You can carry a lot on a bike!

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I am about 35 miles away so it is about a 30 minute drive. All execpt about 4 miles in Interstate and I am opposite the traffic.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I am less than 10 min. from my home, which is wonderful! I live in my district, so I've considered transferring to the elementary that is literally right around the corner from my house, but I decided I didn't necessarily want to live that close to my kiddos! :)

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

37 miles one way which equates to 45 minutes driving. I get up between 6 & 6:30 to be at school prepared by 8:30.

6. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

On a good day - 35 minutes... it has taken up to 2.5 hours (weather) ... but I enjoy it because I can reflect on many things and just take the time to be by myself.

7. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

oh and I get to chat with my friend (who I'd never talk with otherwise) in the morning on the way in.. so that is a nice bonus.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

35-40 minutes and it doesn't bother me at all. I have time to think about the coming day in the a.m. and I have a chance to unwind after school.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

I am about 12 miles from work, but it takes me 40 minutes to get there because our traffic is so bad!! On a weekend morning I can get to work in 18 minutes. Sometimes it takes over an hour to get home!! Yikes! I try to carpool, as most of the teachers live outside the subburb we teach in but it hasn't always worked out.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

My drive one way is 50 miles. I leave the house at 6:00 a.m. and am at school (if I'm lucky) by 7:45. The time for the drive home is slightly less if I leave by 3:30.

I've been doing this for 20 years. I actually like having that time alone.

11. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

My school is 11 miles away and takes me 30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes to 1 hour in the afternoon. Traffic is horrible!

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

I take 2 major roads to get to school. It takes me 10-15 in the mornings and due to all of the afternoon/evening traffic it takes me anywhere from 15-30 minutes after school.

13. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Last year, I drove 45 minutes every day to get to school. However, we are in the process of moving, so this year my commute will only be 8 minutes (WOO-HOO!!)

14. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

My commute is an hour each way.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

Until this year, I've always had a commute of about 45 minutes. This year it's about 10 minutes (depending on traffic) to school. :grin: yeah!

16. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 10, 2008

My current commute is 20 minutes. I once commuted about 60 minutes. It was dreadful.

17. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

About an 8 minute drive or 2 subway stops. It's a little over 1 mile. I used to have to drive over an hour and with traffic sometimes 2 hours!! I'm so glad I moved!! :)

18. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I have a 5 minute commute. I used to teach at a school that was 40 minutes away. I didn't mind the commute (except on very snowy or icy days). I was able to unwind/reflect before getting home!

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

I'm one mile away from my school. It's great.

20. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I am five minutes from the school...on a rural road with no stop signs/lights. Though, one morning last week had to slow down because of a cow at the side of the road eating!! And, then the last two days its been the dead skunk in the roadway. Quite a change for this former big city gal!!

21. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

my commute shorten to 10minutes because of the transfer to my new school!!!!! i'm so excited - I get to wake up at a normal time!!!

22. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I'm super duper lucky. I am only like 2-3 minutes from school, as long as I don't get stuck at the light!

23. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

1 hour each way.

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

About 25 minutes with traffic right now but when school starts may be a bit shorter because I will be going in before the morning rush.

25. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

My commute is about 45-50 minutes each way on my bicycle. It can vary about 5 min each way depending on the winds. What's nice is that my commute is almost always 45-50 minutes, no matter what happens on the road. Once, a road crew broke a gas main that closed the main arterial road that most people I work with use to get home. Many of my colleagues were stranded for hours. I rode up to the workers to ask about alternative routes, and they just let me through.

Well, first of all, if these guys can carry these loads, I think most of us can figure out how to haul what we need to teach our classes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I don't have anything real heavy to carry, I use a messenger bag. I have a medium and a small Timbuk2 bags. Timbuk2 bags are good, but I think they make some better ones.

For really big stuff, I have one of these ...

[​IMG]

More often, however, I use these. They actually make my bike more stable when loaded. Laptops and teacher guides fit just fine.

[​IMG]

So far, the only thing I have not been able to carry on my bike is another bike. However, I don't think that would be entirely impossible

[​IMG]

26. maserz

maserz Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Mine is about 30-35 minutes each way. I've found the drive is a good time to call people I don't usually get to talk to or catch up on the news via radio. I also can get my thoughts in order and mentally prepare for what I need to do for the day! I would love a shorter commute, but this past year wasn't bad by any means! Good Luck!

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

5 minutes also, but I couldn't walk it. It's about 3 miles away.
    So I'm thinking that maybe I drive a bit too fast? :whistle:

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2008

Good Lord, Sarge. Hail, hail. I could never ride my bike... it would probably take two hours each way.

My commute is twenty minutes unless I am stuck at the train tracks (yes, I go to the other side of the tracks and cannot escape them... bruhahaha).

The last time I got stuck at the tracks, though, it was 2007 and it was the morning of the Florida Writes. :( I said a prayer for each student... and I was pounding my fist on the steering wheel all at once. Great timing, God!!!!

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

Ms. Jasztal, you live in Florida which has the reputation of being cycling hell. So I really can't blame you for not biking. From what I hear, you bascially have three options:

Keep driving
    Leave Florida
    Start an alternative transportation revolt

30. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 10, 2008

My commute used to be 15 minutes/ 14 miles. Now, we bought a townhouse literally 1 mile from school. I am way too spoiled.

31. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I have to say I probably have the shortest commute possible. I live across a side street from my school. Front door to side door, 30 seconds! I LOVE IT! I tell my kids from school that I just park my car there, that I don't live there. 3 years later and only 2 kids have figured it out. ha! Although I don't answer the door at Halloween or when they are selling fundraiser items! :):lol:

32. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Right around 10 minutes-- it all depends on the road construction.

33. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I'm 22 miles from my school. Unless I get behind a tractor, it takes about thirty minutes.

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

It takes me about 3-5 minutes to get to school unless there is a train or I have to bring my jr. hi child to school then it is probably 10 mins.

35. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

It takes me 10 minutes or less on a good day. Once college gets back in session it takes a little bit longer until people start slacking and going in later.

36. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I travel for 50mins each way...

37. HMM

HMM Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

with bad traffic it takes about 15 min

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

I used to live literally in the school's front yard. Step out my back door, walk about 100 feet, and I'm there. Now we moved to the country-about 4 miles. Takes me 7 minutes, 32 seconds, cause of the dirt roads. I'm kind of a late arriver-I have it timed.

39. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

Here's the actual math on my commute. It takes me about 20 minutes to drive if I leave at approximately the same time as I leave when I bike. If I leave later, there's a bit more traffic and I usually have to park down the street from my school. Then it takes me about 25 minutes It takes me 45 minutes to bike. I can wheel right up to the office door (My classroom door if the principal's not looking)

However, cycling is something that I'd would do anyway, even it it wasn't my way of getting to work. So if I drove, I'd have to find the time to get out on a 60-90 minute bike ride three or four nights a week and go for a longer ride on weekends. So actually, biking to work is saving me about 30 minutes a day.

Once in a while I'll flat when I ride my bike. That will set me back by about 5 minutes. A really bad headwind will extend my ride to about an hour at the most. Usually the worst headwinds are in the afternoon here. More often than not, I have a headwind both ways. I ride east in the morning and west in the afternoons. The winds here start out of the south or southeast in the morning and shift so that they're coming more from the west in the afternoon.:(

I ride rain or shine, however, if it's really pouring in the morning I might drive. Also if it's rainy and real cold or windy, I might drive. I think last year I drove twice because of weather.

I also ride in the dark. That was my new thing this last year. I have some fairly bright headlights that run on 6v batteries. This last winter, I got so used to riding in the dark that when the days got longer I missed the surreal feeling I got from lighting up a pitch dark road at night.

I can do what I do because I love cycling and there are bikeable roads almost the whole way between my home and school. My wife often throws out the idea of moving from the small bike-friendly college town where we live to the SF Bay Area. One of the routes on her career path would point us in that direction. My rule is that wherever we actually end up living, I do not want to have to drive to work. That would be the deal breaker.

My point is that if you want to put less than 2000 miles year on your car - or not have a car at all - you have to make some major lifestyle choices.

40. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

An hour and a half to two hours each way. One day I will live closer. One day soon, I hope.