How long is your application?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 27, 2010

Sheesh, I've been spending much of my vacation filling out this application for a school system. It's all online, with about 30 pages of information to fill out, including 12 open-ended essay questions, filling out all my resume and school information, and then they want me to download my resume, cover letter, transcripts, teaching certificate, and fill in information for them to send reference forms for three references.

No wonder they've had positions up for about a month--no one wants to fill out their application!

I went to another pre-school where it took me 30 minutes to fill out the application. I only thought that one was long . . .

Have you run into long applications like this before? I feel like I've done all the work of an interview without an interview. :)~

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

I've had applications that have been long. It does get frustrating at times, especially when something happens and you have to start all over!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2010

Wow, I've never heard of one that long.

But cheer up... every single question you answer is probably the point where some of the competition threw in the towel.

Every one you answer well is one that someone else just put together something to get closer to the end.

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 29, 2010

I remember filling out applications that were quite lengthy and they also had several essay questions to answer. I know it can be a downer, but keep your head held high and if you're persistant a job will come your way. I am sure those questions are screening questions and rather than having applicants come in for screening interviews, they have the essay questions as a way to screen.

6. Simba

Simba Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

YES!!!

I feel like ALL the applications are this long. I end up having anxiety attacks because I'm so worried my essay answers aren't perfect. Many applications are "graded" and THEN the district decides if they'd like to interview.

I'm so frustrated and losing hope. My school district is laying off several teachers at the end of the year.

7. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 4, 2011

I know this was posted awhile ago and I certainly hope you're not still working on that app but here's a helpful hint.

Keep a separate document on the computer to craft your responses if possible. Write down the question and then your answer. This will allow you to proofread and easily revise your answer (automatic spell and grammar check). Then, copy and paste your answer into the online format or whatever format the app is in. This way, as you craft all of these answers, you're also making a bank of your answers. You'll find that as you go along, districts may use some of the same questions. This means you can just copy and paste your previous answer. No sense in trying to come up with the perfect answer multiple times!

Just a hint!

8. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 4, 2011

BTW, if you choose to copy and paste anything into an online application or form, be sure to check for any formatting differences. For instance, some online applications change apostrophes into question marks or your spacing may be off. I consider this a small price to pay for not having to second guess my responses or recreating my previous answers.