how long have you been looking

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brandy, Aug 28, 2009.

1. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

This is my 4th summer looking, (a little embaressed to say that)
    and I feeel trapped in my current situation because
    I don't know what else to do besides teaching. I like
    teaching. I have been at my current job for 7 years (very low pay)and For the most part,No one stays longer than 5 years for
    various reasons (moving, new job, had a baby) and I seem
    to always still be there not moving on. People say "wow" when I say
    how long I have been there, I'd rather they didn't,
    like I should have moved on in my life in someway by now, even though
    I am sure they don't mean it that way. I don't mean to sound
    Like a whiner or ungrateful I just really had to get this off my chest.
    thanks

3. pinkteacher123

pinkteacher123 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I started looking before I graduated in 2007 and have had 2 interviews. It is very frustrating for me and I haven't even been looking for as long as you have.

I have a friend who just found her first job... and it's not even a full teaching position it is a year long maternity leave... and she has been looking for 6 years.

So don't give up... it will happen eventually, even though in the meantime it is really hard to deal with.

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I've been looking around since I got a notice of non reelection in March. :) good luck all!

5. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I put in my first application mid-March of this year. Still looking, though.

6. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

Started applying in February... had a good number of interviews, but no offers.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2009

In 2007 I started looking, but found a graduate assistant position that paid for graduate school, so I took that. Then last year I ended up moving 1500 miles away, after having no luck where I live, but ended up moving back after one semester and I have been looking seriously, but only in this area (up to an hour and a half away). So I have been looking for my third summer, but this is the only summer I have been able to find something.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

What is your current job? If it isn't ed related, that could be a reason for your difficulty finding a job. I know people have to work to pay the bills while they are looking for their teaching jobs but the truth is the more work experience you have NOT teaching in some aspect makes you less and less marketable.:sorry:. If you can afford to, try subbing to get some classroom time...or maybe you could work part time at a tutoring place...something where you can keep your 'hand' in some kind of interaction with/teaching kids. It may be that you should be looking to make a change- maybe take some professional development courses, look into additional certifications...

9. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

to czacza: i am currently teaching kindergarten in a private school and i know i should be grateful that i have a job but i am really not happy there and i really want to get a public school job.
    thanks

10. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 28, 2009

I have been looking since April 2007 - have had LTS jobs, Title I tutoring, and subbing.

11. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

I've been looking since October, 2008 but I didn't graduate until December, 2008. We moved this summer from S. FL to TN but I've been applying to this area since April. I've had phone interviews and lots of face-to-face interviews...no offers. :( Still hopeful, though!

12. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I started looking in the fall of '06, after I completed my M.A.T. I lived in an area that is beyond saturated with qualified teachers desperate for jobs. I relocated last year and have a full-time job this year. So, I've been looking for 3 years.

Is relocation an option for you?

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

Are you currently taking any professional development courses? Are you interested in any additional certifications- It can be hard to make the jump from private to public-I think adding on certs or going for additional PD could help keep you 'current'.:love:

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 29, 2009

I have been looking since Nov. of 08. I have gotten several interviews, 2nd interviews, and 2 next week. What surprises me is that I have not gotten interviews for jobs I am very qualified for. I guess so many people are applying, that I am competing with extrememly qualified people.

15. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I guess I've been looking since about April of 07 but there have been times where I wasn't really actively looking. I've had 8 teacher interviews and 1 teacher assistant interview in that time; all but 1 of those were this summer.

My area has been tough for teachers for a long long time so I feel really lucky to have gotten these interviews but I just want a job!

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 30, 2009

I have been looking for two years. I have had 4 interviews, which didn't pan out. I am fortunate to have a special ed. assistant position in a great district. I just have to break through the saturation. I feel lucky to have even been given an interview. The P's told me that each open elem. ed. position had received 2,500 applications. I do have experience, having taught for 6yrs. before being an SAHM. This will be my second year as an aide, and I do continue to participate in PD's.

Brandy...if you are in a private school, that may hurt your chances to switch over to a public school. Because of the saturations, the counties in my area are almost strictly hiring from within...you may have to think of finding a way to start working in a district.

17. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

i guess i am just feeling worried about whether it will ever happen and was hoping to see that i am not alone. To those who asked: 1. yes i am continuing to taking professiional development but i also feel like i am staying current by teaching, even if it is in a private school, 2. sure i would love to find a way to get into a public school district but it hasn't happened yet. i am not married so i can't afford to be an aide and i need benefits so i can't sub. Thanks for the responses, like i said, i realize that it is hard to get a public school job i guess i am just feeling a little alone and helpless and looking for a little camraderie (don't know if that is spelled right, sorry if it isn't)
    thanks

18. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

p.s.

I apologize if my last posting came out wrong,
    I'm just feeling a little frustrated. I am trying to work
    on being the best teacher I can and hopefully
    something great will come along to help
    me figure out what direction to take my life.
    good luck to everyone.

19. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

Brandy,

Thank you for making this post. I'm sure there are very many of us who feel just like you do. I've only gotten 2 interviews since last year. They were both pre-k, and my dream job is primary. I'd be thrilled to take any pre-k position, but it is depressing not even to get any calls.. not even from my student teaching districts.