How long does packing up take?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

It's getting better, but still sloooow.

We pack up about 50 minutes before dismissal. Otherwise, my SS/Sc block would get eaten up. They pack then we have the last block, then we leave.

The kids fill out their homework in their agendas, (I write it on the board) then they write how many tallies they pulled. I quickly walk around and check it's correct and jot any notes I need to in their agendas.

I don't want to stop initialing their agendas daily because I expect their parents to do the same. How can I expect them to do it if I'm not?

This takes about 15 minutes, 10 on a great day.

The only thing I can think of the streamline things to have them leave out their agendas before lunch. That way they're ready just after writing, when it's time to pack up. Other ideas?

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

I just now thought of this. What about having the kids check each other's HW is written correctly and initial it? Then I could just initial only the kids with tallies pulled. Hmmm...Does that work for any of you out there?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

You would have to teach the kiddos what to look for. Do you think the kids would actually look at what they're supposed and check it correctly? Do you think the parents would be ok with this? (I don't see what they wouldn't be, but you never know). And do you think friends would check each others just to say they did?

Just some things to think about.

5. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 9, 2010

In our school, they copy homework down in the morning as part of their morning work. You could have them do that, and then at your pack-up time, they can write their tallies. You then call them to your desk to get the agenda initialed. I think that's quicker than you walking around the room and possibly getting sidetracked by other things - I know I do!

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

My kids do planners as morning work. Planners are a "ehhh" thing for me. I only make parents sign them daily if homework becomes an issue. The kids turn in planners to me with notes in the morning.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

The only problem with writing down HW in the morning is that sometimes I don't cover everything or change my plans :whistle:

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

My kids also write their homework in the morning (I also leave it on the whiteboard for students that are tardy) and they put any school related notes in their homework folder. This really keeps the end of the day from being too chaotic!

9. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

Pisces- what if you gave homework that covered previously learned concepts? This is what I do. I find this useful for many reasons: 1. it give students the chance to practice old skills, 2. students can do their homework independently, 3. I don't have to worry if I'm not able to cover a particular lesson/change my plans 4. you don't have to worry about students going home and practicing the concept the wrong way

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

Good idea!!!

How far back do you go? Let's say you teach lesson 5.2 for Math on a Monday. Do you wait a few days and then assign the workbook pg for 5.2 then? So you're always a few days behind? Does that make any sense whatsoever? The way I'm doing it now is to assign that day's skill as homework.

11. tch&lrn2

tch&lrn2 New Member

Sep 9, 2010

Pisces, let the 'trusted" students help with some of the admin stuff. You might want to invest in a signature stamp if this important to you.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 9, 2010

Right now it takes about five minutes. In the winter it takes closer to 10.

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 9, 2010

Or even just one of those Crayola stamper markers, I thought.

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

My homework is more weekly, so the routine stays pretty much the same.

Mondays- Reading packet goes home. My students need to read 100 minutes a week and respond to three response questions. 20 minutes of that is their weekly comprehension and fluency homework. Goes home on a Monday, and due the next Monday.

Spelling homework goes home. Due on Fridays. Students earn 15 points of spelling homework. This usually equals three activities. But for some, only two.

Tuesday- Math Contract goes home. Student practice math facts at home. Students are given nine choices and complete three. Students have a week to complete this.

About once a week, I send home a math sheet related to the concept we are going over for the week. I like my homework routine, because for the most part, the activities are very independent, or it's something they can do with a parent, older sibling, etc.

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

Basically, my kids know their homework routine. They can pretty much write it down on their own within a week or two.

16. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

Pisces-
    It depends on how far I go back in math. As we get later in the year, I try to give students one review page from a previously learned standard (these review pages may come from the math curriculum or a workbook). For instance, on Monday they may have a place value related worksheet, Tuesday could be multiple digit addition/subtraction, Wednesday could be a geometry related worksheet; and Thursday might be a multiplication worksheet. I don't go in this particular order, but this is just an example. I find that giving review really keeps old skills sharp. I tell the parents that my HW is review, so if their child is struggling, then they know to contact me since their child should hopefully remember past concepts.

For math, I usually staple all of the HW pages together and pass out on Monday. Students know that I will check for completion each day. This way, if a student is absent, he/she will already know what the assignment is going to be.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 10, 2010

It takes my kiddos about 2-3 minutes to pack up & line up. I give out my homework packet on Monday. No planners to write in, nothing to fill out before school ends--just put on your backpack and get in line.

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 10, 2010

We're going on about 20 minutes right now, but we're still learning routines. Our agendas are more for what we did during the day, rather than HW. I like that time to review with them so they can go home and talk about what they did instead of answering 'nothing' to their parents. I don't check for parent signatures with this group as it's not really HW, just a review of the day.

I do have a 'check the blog' note that I stick in their OWL binders on days when I post-parents have to sign that they read, and then I take it out the next morning. Anytime the form is in the binder, it means I just posted. If it's not in the binder, they don't have to check.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2010

Packing up is not what times up so much time for my class, it's the morning checking homework. It takes about 15 to minutes on a good day, but I check the homework, as well as their agenda (sometimes the parents will write me a note), which is why it takes so long. I send out a homework calendar on Monday which has the hw for the entire week. As far as actually packing up, I have kids put their stuff in their backpacks when they get snack (about 1 pmish), and so at the end of the day it just takes them about 5 minutes to clean up, because their bags are already ready to go.

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 11, 2010

Takes us 10-15 min. Fridays it takes longer as that is when I give out their Fri. folders and trade in pencils for the following week.

I do review math homework in my packets that I send home on Mon (due Fridays). If we covered ch. 3 this week, ch. 3 homework would be next week.

21. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 11, 2010

Me too. I have my 3rd graders write down HW right before pack-up too. Mind you, I have only 14 kids. I walk around with a sticker book.. those mini-stickers... and if they filled out their HW properly and wrote their behavior color they get a sticker. They don't get one until they're done...

Sometimes when I am exhausted I make them bring their planners to me at my desk and they get a sticker that way. That would NOT work well in a large class.

Last year I had 32... planners were trickier...!