How long does it take...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lyquidphyre, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

after you accept a job to signing a contract?

I accepted the job Weds. night (around 6pm) and I wasn't sure when HR would get back to me. I know they don't work on Fridays during the summer, so should I call tomorrow (Monday) to see if there is anything I can do to help the process? I'm TERRIFIED something will go wrong and I don't get the job, so all I want to do is sign my contract to help me sleep at night.

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Yeah, call them. I felt the same way you do when I was hired about this time my first year!

And CONGRATULATIONS!

:D :D :D

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Yes, give them a call. I couldn't sign my contract until after the board meeting, so I had to wait a couple weeks! It was nerve-racking!

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

I was selected as a preferred candidate on Thursday...which means that the Assistant Super just checks you over, and makes sure you are a good fit of the district. It's mostly a formality, I guess. The principal sent my resume to him on Friday and while I checked my phone all day on Friday, he called tonight! A Sunday and at 8pm! It was such a relief to hear from him. Chances are they got caught up in something. You might want to just call the principal and casually mention....when did you say that HR would be contacting me. Chances are your principal would call and get the ball rolling.

The principal in my case said I would be interviewing with the assistant superintendent and on the phone he said "I'm calling to set up a time for our meeting..."

CONGRATULATIONS and I'm sure they'll call you first thing Monday...and then call them if you haven't heard anything by lunch.

6. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 5, 2007

Last year I swear it took a month before I signed my contract. I had been to a week of in-service and a week of before school activities and taught for a couple of weeks before I signed the contract. I was so unsure about the whole thing that I even went on an interview after I accepted but before I signed. It was really weird.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

I accepted the job on Thursday and they contacted me the next Friday. About a week for me!

8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I am going to work for a pretty big district. I was told I should expect an email in about two weeks so I could schedule my contract signing. Waiting is torture!!!

9. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Mine was mailed to me about 3 weeks after I was offered the job. I signed it, and took it in 2 months later. They just needed it before the September board meeting. I've talked with my supervisor quite a few times, looked at student files, and picked up my teacher lap top, so I wasn't worried about it.

10. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

That makes me feel better!
    This year will be for my internship, so I do need to get them that paperwork just to be safe. I think I will call them around lunch tomorrow to get a time line of what to expect.

11. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I didn't get to sign mine until the board approved me because they get the final say. Once they approved me they gave me my contract. I think it was a couple of weeks before I signed it.

12. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I accepted a job one week ago today and still haven't signed the contract. The board meeting isn't until tomorrow evening. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon to go to a reading conference with the other K-3 teachers, so I hope they approve me. :) Haha, even though most schools don't have you sign the contract until after the board meeting, I think it is just standard procedure.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2007

I got a job on July 10th and I haven't signed my contract. My certification is from Missouri and I'm in Idaho right now. I can't sign my contract until I get my Idaho certification. I don't have my Idaho certification because my Missouri certification is still waiting on my background check! I got my background check done on July 10th. They told me it's completed, but takes up to 2 weeks to process and mail me my certification. It's so nervewracking-I want it to all be done!

But I'm not too worried because they said I'll be fine until the first paycheck. They're also letting me set up my room, so I don't think they're too worried either.

14. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I got the email this morning!!! I have scheduled my contract signing for Thursday of this week!

15. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Congrats nicegirl!

I called the front desk and she told me she went ahead and sent out a packet for me that had all sorts of information in it. She also said to come in anytime and she would show me my classroom (I think thats what she said.. either that or she would show me the layout of what my classroom would look like depending on if they haven't figured out which room will be mine)

16. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I sign my contract tomorrow!! Wahoo!!!!

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

I accepted my job July 11th or maybe it was the 12th. Anyway I haven't signed the contract yet. The school board voted me in Monday night. The contract was suppose to be done tomorrow but the lady that types them up was out sick today. So I am going in on Monday to sign it.